Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Knight Testing!  (Read 6283 times)
Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« on: February 09, 2019, 10:13:24 PM »

Today in my saber classes, I just officially completed my Ranking Testing for Knight Initiate. Cheesy

My official knighting ceremony and belt presentation aren't supposed to be until late March to early April (unless the other 4 people going through testing for the same rank as me complete their testing sooner than that), but I've completed all of the necessary requirements for the ran of Knight initiate. Next up, in May, I'll be able to complete the testing for Knight Acolyte.

Turns out recording my practice sessions paid off. Last knight I forced myself to sit at the gym and go through my required solo forms for testing for an hour and a half straight until I had the routine memorized. While it certainly wasn't perfect, I recorded myself at the end of the session and was able to complete the entire 3 minute routine of "Form 0" into "Soresu." I knocked out all of the other testing requirements in the open class today, and then went to lunch with the instructors afterward. I mentioned that I had recorded myself practicing the forms and the head instructor asked to see it, so I showed him and he determined that it was good enough to show I was capable of completing the form without instructor assistance, and so I was officially "passed" at lunch!

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 08:40:54 AM »

Congrats LR!! On your way to becoming a master. Keep up the good work. Maybe we get to see some video one day......

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 09:16:55 AM »

Congrats LR!! On your way to becoming a master. Keep up the good work. Maybe we get to see some video one day......

FUN FACT! The video I mentioned is the one I posted last night in the choreography section XD Despite my crappy footing on the Soresu turns, I was able to demonstrate the ability to complete the choreography in tempo and without assistance.

I'll link again here lol

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma3belMDs1w" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">Sorry...</a>

"Master" is rank 4, which technically no one, not even the head instructor, has achieved yet, but one day. My new Ranking is "Knight Initiate." Rankings below:

Beginning Student
Advanced Student
Rank 0 "Knight Candidate"
Rank 1 "Knight Initiate"
Rank 2 "Knight Acolyte"
Rank 3 "Knight Fellow"
Rank 4 "Master Knight"

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 02:55:18 PM »

Just watched your video LR. Impressive...

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 02:24:54 AM »

Just watched your video LR. Impressive...

Thanks! I'm just impressed I remembered the whole thing

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 03:48:37 AM »

Congrats Lady Revan on your achievement!

Gotta say you handled the reverse grip major Orbits well, they usually play havoc with my old triceps. Eventually with more and more practice the Force will guide your moves (also known as muscle memory!) and everything will come more naturally.

point incoming.
p.s. I'd move that balance ball out of your performance area too it's in your way there.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 05:34:20 AM »

Congrats Lady Revan on your achievement!

Gotta say you handled the reverse grip major Orbits well, they usually play havoc with my old triceps. Eventually with more and more practice the Force will guide your moves (also known as muscle memory!) and everything will come more naturally.

point incoming.
p.s. I'd move that balance ball out of your performance area too it's in your way there.

Thanks For! One of my instructors says that my reverse flourishes are intimidating XD There's a Choreography we do where the telegraph is inverted grip forward figure 8s, but since the person initiating the choreography doesn't execute the first attack, most people add a taunt afterward to make it make sense. Apparently my reverse grip forward figure 8 (when I'm not at a set tempo) counts as a taunt XD

Ball is actually further back than it looks. Some dude who was in the gym before I recorded knocked it over and I was too short to put it back XD The gym has mirrors on all walls, so I was able to easily monitor its position Smiley Point back!

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 06:18:58 AM »

Hi again,

Most of my training is done on a solo basis, so more along the lines of dulons, trajectories and Forms of the Elements (I am an honorary member of Master Medwyn's Distant Earth Knighthood  Cool ) and not choreography.
As a result may I ask by "telegraph" do you mean the initial/prominent move/ focal point of a set of moves?

And from now on I shall call that intruder BB-A11 (Balance BA11)

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 06:44:02 AM »

Hi again,

Most of my training is done on a solo basis, so more along the lines of dulons, trajectories and Forms of the Elements (I am an honorary member of Master Medwyn's Distant Earth Knighthood  Cool ) and not choreography.
As a result may I ask by "telegraph" do you mean the initial/prominent move/ focal point of a set of moves?

And from now on I shall call that intruder BB-A11 (Balance BA11)

The "telegraph" is  how you signal to your partner which choreography you will be initiating. In most choreographed movements (CMs), the person signalling is the attacker, but some have back and forth (like the one I mentioned) and in some, the second role is actually the aggressor (like the unarmed CM-F, or the second portion of LukeVSVader VI CM-12). List of CMs explained here (I think you have to register to view, but registration is free) http://sabercraft.org/index.php/knights-section/

XD I love it! The BB-A11 droid

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 06:55:52 AM »

Hello LR,

Ah got it. I thought it had something to do with signalling, I just wondered as the little bit of choreo I had done both parties had set movements rather than fluid sets. This is much more like pro wrestling where one wrestler has a "spot" or set of moves and instigates it, then at a signal (known as an Iggy) the second wrestler takes the lead with their offense/set moves creating the ebb and flow of the match/battle.

Great info thanks very much!

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 07:10:06 AM »

Hello LR,

Ah got it. I thought it had something to do with signalling, I just wondered as the little bit of choreo I had done both parties had set movements rather than fluid sets. This is much more like pro wrestling where one wrestler has a "spot" or set of moves and instigates it, then at a signal (known as an Iggy) the second wrestler takes the lead with their offense/set moves creating the ebb and flow of the match/battle.

Great info thanks very much!

I don't know anything about pro wresting, much less enough to be able to confirm the comparison, but from your description it sounds quite similar. In the sport version we do of the choreographies (LUMINA) it goes back and forth between the partners for who telegraphs. You can combine 2 CMs by signalling two telegraphs one after the other. A successful completion by both Lumens (people in the set) of the telegraphed CM(s) is awarded the appropriate points based on the difficulty of the CM(s) attempted.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 07:20:35 AM »

I don't know anything about pro wresting, much less enough to be able to confirm the comparison, but from your description it sounds quite similar. In the sport version we do of the choreographies (LUMINA) it goes back and forth between the partners for who telegraphs. You can combine 2 CMs by signalling two telegraphs one after the other. A successful completion by both Lumens (people in the set) of the telegraphed CM(s) is awarded the appropriate points based on the difficulty of the CM(s) attempted.

Yes, this sounds very similar, in wrestling you have the good guys, known as Babyfaces or Face characters, and the bad guys known as Heels. The telegraphing happens as and when the flow of the match needs to change or react to the audience. When all the "Spots" or CMs are complete the match should climax with whichever Finish is required.

And apologies for the wrestling analogy, but I was speaking with bigBear about the sport earlier.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 08:45:01 AM »

Yes, this sounds very similar, in wrestling you have the good guys, known as Babyfaces or Face characters, and the bad guys known as Heels. The telegraphing happens as and when the flow of the match needs to change or react to the audience. When all the "Spots" or CMs are complete the match should climax with whichever Finish is required.

And apologies for the wrestling analogy, but I was speaking with bigBear about the sport earlier.

That's fine! I had no idea that was how it worked. The more you know lol

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 02:50:21 PM »

Congrats Lady, that is a fine achievement. I love to see students progressing in the ways of the force. The trials at our school are always my favorite days. You should be proud.

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 07:38:26 PM »

Congrats Lady, that is a fine achievement. I love to see students progressing in the ways of the force. The trials at our school are always my favorite days. You should be proud.

Thank you, Muashi Padawan! I’m excited! Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: