Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Light programing question  (Read 1131 times)
JFetrow
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

« on: February 09, 2019, 11:58:04 PM »

Maybe this has been covered previously. If so, accept my apology, and kindly point me to the correct thread...

I just received my first Diamond saber, and I'm wondering if there is any way to program custom lighting patterns.
For instance, if I want blazing red main, but pulse (flicker) to another color randomly. For instance, if I'm on blazing red, can it randomly flicker to black/bane's heart/black, then back to red? And I mean really flicker, like all within a second or two. Barely perceptibly. My point is to make it look like it has an unstable crystal.

Is that possible? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 05:21:33 AM »

You can do pretty much anything you want with the light effects in the editor, but you have to define every point yourself as far as I know.  There's not really a way to introduce actual randomness, but you could easily build an effect that switches between several colors in succession.  There is a limit to how many points you can include in an effect, but it's a big enough number that you can build some pretty complex sequences if you so desire.  For a basic example of what's possible and some of the issues, I offer this link to a thread I wrote up a while back about adding a subtle shimmer effect: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38377.0.

I also offer the following example of how complex you can make an effect: the powerup lighting I created for a He-Man soundfont purchased from a vendor site.  This effect is where I learned of the limit on number of points. 

I'm really proud of how the lighting effects turned out, but sadly I can't share the font due to the proprietary nature of the sounds.  Anyway, the point is that even amateurs such as myself can create cool things in the editor, you just have to spend some time playing around with it.  Hours of enjoyable tinkering await you as you craft exactly the effects you want.  Good luck and welcome to the fun!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

JFetrow
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: -2

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:29:32 PM »

Thanks, ktulu. I need to do some playing, looks like. But it's a labor of love, so it'll be fun.

I'm curious now, do you have a video of that effect? No nee to share the files themselves, but it would be awesome to see it in action!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: