Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Aladdin Trailer  (Read 5824 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 04:02:31 PM »

That's the one. Love a good Harryheusen movie.

Yep, he's got some great stuff. I have a handful of his movies, but I need to get the rest. Usually, I don't like it when movie plots are written around special effects sequences, but I give his films a pass because of the amount of time it took him to do those shots. He had to start before there was a script just to get it done on time.

Yeah, it was a big thing when Disney lied to Williams. He was hugely upset.

The sad thing is, they weren't the only studio to do him wrong. WB used him as bait to get Jim Carrey to sign on as the Riddler in Batman Forever, a role that Williams campaigned hard to get. You can't figure those experiences did anything beneficial for him, since he suffered from long term depression.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 11:15:08 PM »

The sad thing is, they weren't the only studio to do him wrong. WB used him as bait to get Jim Carrey to sign on as the Riddler in Batman Forever, a role that Williams campaigned hard to get. You can't figure those experiences did anything beneficial for him, since he suffered from long term depression.

Correction - they used him as bait to get Jack Nicholson to sign on as the Joker, then they released Williams after he had already signed on. Then, I think they had the nerve to approach him about the Riddler, but he passed due to that incident.

Oh, and I would have edited my original reply, but the forum is stuck on stupid and seems to think I posed it 7 hours ago, instead of a few minutes ago. Roll Eyes

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 06:31:12 PM »

Correction - they used him as bait to get Jack Nicholson to sign on as the Joker, then they released Williams after he had already signed on. Then, I think they had the nerve to approach him about the Riddler, but he passed due to that incident.

Oh, and I would have edited my original reply, but the forum is stuck on stupid and seems to think I posed it 7 hours ago, instead of a few minutes ago. Roll Eyes

Eh, Williams would have made a terrible Riddler, just like Carrey did. The character is not some zany Joker-clone. He's a highly intelligent man who is obsessed with puzzles to the point of insanity. To that end, Kevin Spacey or James Spader would have been perfect.

Now, onto the topic at hand...

I watched this trailer and felt existentially violated.

Will Smith is the wrong person for the role of Genie simply because the little snippet we saw was him acting like Will Smith in Smurf cosplay.

Also, Jafar is supposed to be menacing. This guy is about as menacing as the head of a high school A/V club. After he said "Bring me the lamp," I half expected him to whip out an inhaler and take a puff.

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 06:39:11 PM »

Will Smith is the wrong person for the role of Genie simply because the little snippet we saw was him acting like Will Smith in Smurf cosplay.

Also, Jafar is supposed to be menacing. This guy is about as menacing as the head of a high school A/V club. After he said "Bring me the lamp," I half expected him to whip out an inhaler and take a puff.

While I agree that Will Smith appeared to be playing himself in the clip, I will also play devil's advocate for a second and say it is a bit harsh to judge his whole performance on a 10 second clip.

However, the Robin Williams genie fanboy inside me agrees that this was the wrong casting choice. He's not even doing an accent or a "performance". That being said, unless they found an amazingly talented unknown actor to play the role I don't think fans of the original would be happy with any casting choice.

And Jafar should have gravitas, intelligence, menace with shades of pent-up anger and sarcasm. This guy (from that one line delivery) has none of this.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 11:51:50 PM »

I actually think Will Smith should do the Genie his own way. I would respect nothing else. Also, I'd imagine he'd tick off the Williams fans even more if he tried to do it the same as Robin. Even if he did it as a tribute, it would be taken the wrong way. But, as Knox said, not enough there to judge him by.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2019, 01:14:28 PM »

I actually think Will Smith should do the Genie his own way. I would respect nothing else. Also, I'd imagine he'd tick off the Williams fans even more if he tried to do it the same as Robin. Even if he did it as a tribute, it would be taken the wrong way. But, as Knox said, not enough there to judge him by.

Agreed. I'm hoping he'll do the Genie his way as I have the impression that he will.  The fans won't be happy either way so he minus well do his take and have fun

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: