Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Aladdin Trailer  (Read 5708 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 10:20:49 PM »

I'm sorry. Did we all just......agree? On the internet? About a movie (trailer)?

There is hope left in this world after all!

Annnnnnnd, no one did any name calling..... The world as we know it, is ending.....

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 03:23:18 PM »

I still hope it blows our minds when it does finally come out.
At this point I think Dumbo is likely to be better. But, time will tell.

I think we all universally agree that The Lion King is gonna be awesome.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 03:25:59 PM »

At this point I think Dumbo is likely to be better. But, time will tell.

I think we all universally agree that The Lion King is gonna be awesome.

I'm extremely hopeful for Dumbo, and yes, Lion King is going to rock. Speaking of Lion King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwp-SLcK09k

Not going to embed it, but give that a watch and see if it doesn't just make your heart soar. Grin

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 10:57:06 PM »

So far, these teasers are doing absolutely nothing for me. I can't call a sub 1 minute trailer a real theatrical trailer. With the movie coming out in a few months, they may want to get a real trailer out. Usually, you've got a full on theatrical trailer out by now, but the ad campaign for this movie has been lackluster. I'm feeling very "meh" about the whole thing.

At least the people who complained that Will Smith wasn't blue can now see that he is.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 12:53:22 AM »

Point of contention...I have not liked any of the Live Action remakes and have no excitement for the Lion King.  Honestly the Lion King isn't one of my favorite Disney Films anyway

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 01:22:30 AM »

At least the people who complained that Will Smith wasn't blue can now see that he is.
you know what's funny? When the Entertainment Weekly cover came out lots of people complained that he wasn't blue. Now this teaser trailer has come out and people are complaining that the blue CGI looks bad. Now, I think we can all agree that the CGI isn't great (and is probably unfinished), but does anyone think a lot of this backlash is due to nostalgia and Robin Williams being so amazing and perfect in the animated version?

Point of contention...I have not liked any of the Live Action remakes and have no excitement for the Lion King.  Honestly the Lion King isn't one of my favorite Disney Films anyway
I haven't hated any of the live action remakes. However, the only one I actually enjoyed was The Jungle Book, partly because the CGI was amazing and partly because they made changes from the animated version (although I still say they should have got John Goodman to voice Baloo).

Out of "classic" Disney movies (everything pre-Beauty and the Beast that relied on hand drawn animation) my favourite was always The Jungle Book. Out of "modern" Disney movies (everything from Beauty & the Beast onwards that used computers in some form) my favourites are The Lion King, and Hercules.

I'm curious to see if they make any changes to The Lion King story that we know.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 11:53:59 AM »

I'm sorry. Did we all just......agree? On the internet? About a movie (trailer)?

There is hope left in this world after all!

And without any name calling...  The world as we know it, is about to end....

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 12:04:21 PM »

you know what's funny? When the Entertainment Weekly cover came out lots of people complained that he wasn't blue. Now this teaser trailer has come out and people are complaining that the blue CGI looks bad. Now, I think we can all agree that the CGI isn't great (and is probably unfinished), but does anyone think a lot of this backlash is due to nostalgia and Robin Williams being so amazing and perfect in the animated version?

You're probably right. I don't think anything Will or Disney does in terms of the Genie is going to please some fans. What I don't get is, if they feel so strongly about the cartoon, why not just watch the cartoon version again? It still exists. In fact, Disney will likely have it back in stores again soon. In fact, that that sounds good, I may do that myself. It's been too long since I last watched Aladdin.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 12:23:34 PM »

It's just like we three previously discussed.  If they go one route, there's complaints, if they go another route, still complaints.  It's a double edge sword no matter what they do, no matter how they do it.  And yes, lots of the hate and backlash is due to nostalgia but mainly the late Robin Williams being so amazing and people are afraid that this movie may not live up to his legacy.  It may or may not live up to Robin, there's a lot to fill his shoes but that's the thing though, Will's not here to fill Robin's shoes.  Sure, he's playing genie, but it's his take on it but no matter how different he tries to be, he'll still get backlash from it saying that it's not like the original. 

It's a shame though, if Robin was alive and didn't want to voice the genie but gave Will his blessing to play the part, I don't think that there would be that much backlash as it is now.  There would be quite a bit, but not as bad

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 12:49:35 PM »

It's been too long since I last watched Aladdin.
DUDE! If you don't watch Aladdin at least once every couple years then the Hellmouth opens. Get on it.

The funny thing about Robin Williams was he specifically asked Disney not to promote the fact he was voicing the genie in the trailers. Disney agreed then went back on their word, which is why he never returned for the straight to dvd sequel. I think they eventually apologised and he came back for part 3. But thi was the first time Hollywood had got an A list actor to do a voice in an animated movie. It changed the game forever, unfortunately putting a lot of voice over actors out of work. But the rise of video games has given them new careers.

If they absolutely had to do a live action version, then whoever they cast as the genie would have to be different. I remember watching a Sinbad movie way back in the day that had a genie in it, and loved that (I think Harryheusen was involved in it too).

My main issue with this trailer is Will Smith seems to be doing his usual Will Smith thing. Don't get me wrong. I like him and a number of his movies. But his usual shtick feels like it will be massively out of place.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 01:29:42 PM »

Yeah, it actually shocks me thinking how long it's been since I last watched Aladdin. I do need to get on that.

I never knew about the thing with Williams and Disney. He's definitely one of the things that makes that movie great, and I'd have promoted the heck out of his involvement, given how big a star and how well liked he was at the time. That did kind of open the gates for A listers to do animated movies, didn't it? Now it's interesting to see who they're going to get to do the voices, as it seems to be a hot thing to do. Cartoon TV shows and games definitely keep dedicated voice actors employed, though. You hear a lot of the same voice and see a lot of the same people in the credits of cartoons on TV and games.

If they absolutely had to do a live action version, then whoever they cast as the genie would have to be different. I remember watching a Sinbad movie way back in the day that had a genie in it, and loved that (I think Harryheusen was involved in it too).

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, that is indeed a Ray Harryhausen film. Great movie.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 02:19:35 PM »

I was a kid the last time that I watched Aladdin myself so over 15 years ago.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 03:02:08 PM »

I was a kid the last time that I watched Aladdin myself so over 15 years ago.
For shame, sir.

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, that is indeed a Ray Harryhausen film. Great movie.
That's the one. Love a good Harryheusen movie.

I never knew about the thing with Williams and Disney. He's definitely one of the things that makes that movie great, and I'd have promoted the heck out of his involvement, given how big a star and how well liked he was at the time. That did kind of open the gates for A listers to do animated movies, didn't it? Now it's interesting to see who they're going to get to do the voices, as it seems to be a hot thing to do. Cartoon TV shows and games definitely keep dedicated voice actors employed, though. You hear a lot of the same voice and see a lot of the same people in the credits of cartoons on TV and games.
Definitely hear the same voices in the games. Which is no bad thing.

Yeah, it was a big thing when Disney lied to Williams. He was hugely upset.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 10:35:42 PM »

reading comments from multiple other forums and comment sections.....the consensus seems to be Jafar is not impressing anyone

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 11:03:26 PM »

reading comments from multiple other forums and comments...the consensus seems to be Jafar is not impressing anyone

Agreed, he sounds really wimpy and not intimidating like the original

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: