Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dk Sentinel V5 vs Dk Catalyst - Blade length - not just a preference!  (Read 1448 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« on: February 15, 2019, 11:51:23 AM »

Hey guys!

So, I've been swinging my new Dark Sentinel V5 LE around a lot the last couple of weeks and have started using it for some kata practice and sparring, where it displaced my Dark Catalyst.  And I noticed something, that I decided to investigate: The reach seemed to be the same.

Now, this might not seem odd at first, but consider this: I have a 32" blade installed on the Cat, and a 36" blade installed on the V5.  Yet they seem to reach about the same in my dueling.  Now, I know the Cat has a comparatively shallow emitter socket for the blade to sit in.  That shallow socket has gotten some bad press over the years and was the main reason I shied away from this excellent hilt for so long.  It was also why I purchased and use a 32" blade.  The longer 36" blade just feels insecure while the 32" blade feels normal and secure.   Also, the hilt balances so well with the 32" blade that I never even seriously considered going back to 36" after a brief test drive.

So, is that it?   Just the socket depth?

It seemed to easy, so I laid them out.  With the emitters even, I noticed that the V5 is a bit longer, both in blade length AND hilt length.  Its just a bigger, longer, heavier hilt all around, even with the Scorpion pommel on my Cat.  (Ironically, I have a Dark Catalyst pommel installed on the V5.  I chuckled when I realized that...)

Here, take a look:

The difference isn't 4 inches, but its still considerable.  A little more than 3" actually.   

Now I was puzzled.   There was a very clear difference in length.  So I swung them both around a bit.  They still felt the same.  Then it dawned on me: The pivot point on the hilt isn't the end of the emitter.  Its the choke point!  I grip both hilts at the forward choke.   On the Cat this is the very obvious choke behind the emitter.  On the V5 I find I am gripping the smaller forward choke where the big windows are, much the same way I grip the Aeon at the forward "window" choke. 

So, I lined up the choke points and looked again:

(I apologize for the poor quality of this pic)

Note how the ends of the emitters have shifted.   The choke point on the Cat is over 2 inches further back than the one on the V5.   Ironically, the AV switches line up when you line up the chokes.  :-)  And the EFFECTIVE blade length is only about an inch different.

And mystery solved.   But it brings up a good point: The 36" vs 32" blade debate comes up a lot, but there's more to it than just the length of the blade tube.  The socket depth and the grip point on the hilt will factor in to how you use it and the effective reach of the blade during spinning and sparring.

So, consider carefully!  And saber on!

Karmack

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 12:21:37 AM »

Well written and very well illustrated explanation of something that seems simple once you understand it but that many have never considered.  Thanks for sharing!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 01:09:01 AM »

Good write up between the two sabers, Karmack. I do like the Catalyst pommel on the V5

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 01:41:41 AM »

I really like the Scorpion pommel on the Catalyst. Smiley

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 04:53:29 PM »

Yeah, that pommel seems to fit for some reason.   I'm am VERY much considering ordering a Dark War Glaive pommel for the Sentinel V5 LE, though.   Saw one in another review and it just pops on this hilt.  I've tried the Scorpion and Archon pommels, neither one works very well IMHO, but that War Glaive pommel...   

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »

Me too, it goes well with it

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 10:55:30 PM »

Every time I see a Catalyst, I want one, especially a dark one. I'm going to have to do something about that eventually. Smiley

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 11:16:17 PM »

Every time I see a Catalyst, I want one, especially a dark one. I'm going to have to do something about that eventually. Smiley

Same here. It’s so sleek and spin friendly

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 11:46:03 PM »

Same here. It’s so sleek and spin friendly

Yup. It's a very underrated saber, in my opinion.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 11:47:03 PM »

Yup. It's a very underrated saber, in my opinion.

Agreed. I’m really surprised that I haven’t had one yet...or two

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 02:18:23 PM »

The Cat is an amazing saber for handling.  Its also a competent dueler, and as you guys said its a bit under-rated.   I think for me it was getting a better view of one.  The photos on the website made the saber look thicker than it really is.  In real life it is very slim and trim, and that forward choke is a dream.  I heartily recommend 32" blades, though.  The 36" just feels to long due to the shallower emitter socket.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 04:14:32 PM »

And just like that, the Cat is now in my wishlist. Thanks guys

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 11:11:34 PM »

Great work Karmack! And always great to see Catalysts getting love Smiley

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: