Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Apprentice LE V5 & Dark Sentinel LE V5  (Read 2746 times)
scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:11 AM »

APPRENTICE LE V5 & DARK SENTINEL LE V5

So, it's time for another Ultrasabers review. I took advantage of the recent 25% flash sale on the Dark Sentinel LE V5. I ordered an empty with a vented pommel and a Covertec wheel. And, since I was ordering a Sentinel, it made sense to got ahead and get an empty Apprentice LE V5 also. This saved me quite a bit of money by combining the shipping. I ordered the Apprentice with a non vented pommel because I was just going to build it as a stunt. However, inspiration hit me while I was ordering electronics, so I wound up ordering two boards and speakers, and I bought Luxeon Tri Rebel stars in GGW and BBW. Some friends helped me decide which color I was going to put in which hilt.

My first impressions of both hilts were very strong. Both are gorgeous, pure eye candy. I really like the new grips and pommels a lot. I found that the new pommel is only about 1/8 an inch longer than the V4 pommel, so there's not a lot of significant length added to the saber. I have a couple Sentinel V4s and they're almost the same length. In fact, I really like the V5 pommel on my V4. (more on that in the video) The new windows look fantastic, but the edges on the cuts in the hilt are on the sharp side. (also explained further in the video) Overall, I'd say both sabers are an 8 out of 10. The Sentinel V4, meanwhile, is a 10 out of 10. The couple areas they could improve upon are mainly the forward grip and window areas.

So, pros on both hilts:

*Beautiful, pure eye candy
*Negligible length difference on the V4
*Appears to be slightly lighter than a similarly installed V4
*New grips and pommels look fantastic
*New windows look fantastic

Cons of both hilts:

*Window cuts in the hilt are sharp edged
*Long windows are too long for standard length blade plug (see video)

APPRENTICE LE V5

I really like the feel of the Apprentice. It makes a nice little spinner with a 24" heavy grade blade in it. You could two hand it if you wanted to, but it's more of a one handed saber, especially since some of your hand real estate is taken up by the large window area.

DARK SENTEINEL LE V5

The Sentinel has a great feel to it, it's a nice two hander, but can be used one handed also. I put a 32-inch midgrade blade in it and it spins nicely. The Covertec it came with was black, I swapped it for a silver one. I like to do that with my black and silver LE hilts.

And, last but not least, the video:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK7Ihmyqt-0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK7Ihmyqt-0</a>

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 04:37:10 PM »

Nice comparison there

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:31:37 PM »

Thanks for the review. I enjoy getting a closer look at the new saber designs and hearing about the pros and cons. Makes my decision to add to the collection easier.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 11:40:39 PM »

Thanks guys. Grin

Yeah, I like to inform people of things like sharp bits, as I know a lot of people like to do combat and/or spinning with their sabers. Of course, wearing gloves would make the sharp bits a nonissue.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »

A quick video demo of the fonts I put on the sabers:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AfNrMxeswA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AfNrMxeswA</a>

All fonts were purchased last night for these sabers, though I'll likely use them on others too.

Daniel1988
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 55

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 05:20:31 AM »

Thanks for the videos, pics and advice. Love how your's turned out! Great job on the pros and cons as well as the final products! Great job all around!

My sabers (as of 8/9/23): (*s)=sound
1.) Frankensaber-Blazing Red (*s)
2.) Grandmaster LE-Sentinel Yellow
3.) Shock LE-Violet Amethyst w/Qd
4.) Dominicide LE-Tri-cree F.Orange
5.) Apprentice LE V4-Guardian Blue (*s)
6.) Dark Graflex-BR (*s)
7.) Spectre-B.Violet Amethyst w/Qd (*s)
8.) Consular-Tri-Cree Consular Green w/Qd
9.) Prophecy V3-SY
10.) Sentinel LE V5-SY
11.) Third Sister LE-VA
12.) Survivor LE- BVA (*s)

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 06:31:17 AM »

Thanks for the videos, pics and advice. Love how your's turned out! Great job on the pros and cons as well as the final products! Great job all around!

Thanks a lot. Smiley

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 05:29:01 AM »

Great review there, SFD.  As always, I like the attention to detail that you go with each saber.  Thank you for pointing out the hard edges of the windows since I'm a spinner, that helps me keep cons like that in mind when I do order mine.  I like the green and blue AV switches that you installed to tell the blade color between the two.  Really neat idea.   

Nice selection of sound fonts that you have as well. I like the second and the third sound fonts, I like the deeper sounding blades

+1

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »

Thanks Infinit. You're one of the people I thought of with the spinning thing. But, it should take minimal sanding to get it less rough.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 06:04:48 AM »

Thanks Infinit. You're one of the people I thought of with the spinning thing. But, it should take minimal sanding to get it less rough.

I appreciate that, SFD.  That put a smile on my face, I'll make sure to do just that once I order mine.  Will more than likely be an empty unless I order an un-assembled stunt.  Either way, it'll be easy to take care of since nothing will be installed.

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 10:22:36 AM »

Nice review!

*pondering*
If I look at the preview pic of the video, the Sentinel 'feels' a bit like a 'beefed up' Liberator…
Hmm, I wonder how it'd look if you abandon the upper choke, move the switch a bit more to the emitter and enlarge the center choke…
*tries to kick imagination into high gear*

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

hazard502
Vanguard of the Archon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2272

[Give Light Side Points!]

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 05:35:42 PM »

Excellent reviews, and I'm glad you put sound into the V5 Apprentice. That's my preferred hilt design in this style range and it's fun having something so whippy with the effects to go with it.

Customized Flamberge/BR, Customized LostGray/HP or Tri-AS

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 12:08:50 AM »

Man I love that AV switch you put on that Dark Sentinel!  Shocked  Going to have to watch the video tonight when I get home as my work filter is not letting it go through at the moment.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Zren Tobas
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2031

[Give Light Side Points!] [Give Dark Side Points!]

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 03:17:38 AM »

Nice. My old Sentinel V4 with the windows has the smoother edges so. I might get me a V5 at some point though just not sure which one Tongue Kinda waiting for a Prophecy variant to be honest, I like the slanted emitters Tongue

Sabers: Liberator V3 CG ObsV4 sound!, Graflex GB, Overlord AB, Crimson Savior BR, Bane PO, Dark Initiate V2 LE BH, Shock GB, Archon V2.1 CG, Dark Sentinel LE GB ObSLite!, Standard Issue V3 CG, Dominix V3 LE BR, Sentinel SRD, Dominix V2 FO
Next sabers: Dark Prophecy BVA, Negotiator AS, Enigma EG, Brylark CE SY
[/url]SW1 by joshgarcia07[/url

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 02:43:27 PM »

Thanks a lot, guys. They were fun sabers to build. Smiley

@Zren, I hear you on the slanted emitters, I like them too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: