Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: First Purchase - Super Excited!  (Read 656 times)
Doomshaper
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« on: February 17, 2019, 09:18:15 PM »

Hey all,

I'm not good with video on my camera, so you'll get pictures when my wife gets around to taking them, but I really wanted to share my experience with everyone. First saber purchase, so the process really started shortly after discovering that you can buy a manufactured lightsaber, and before deciding what company to go with.

So I looked around. UltraSabers was the first point of contact, I saw an ad on Facebook, and got super-excited. I had always figured that lightsabers were homebrewed devices, and I wouldn't have the knowledge or resources to fashion one. I saw a few cool hilts, and a few clicks later, I was on SaberForum.com . Shortly thereafter, I had figured out that there were "other guys" from various companies. I registered to SaberForum, as well as joined a FB group that's run by one of the other guys but includes UltraSabers in their discussions. I'm still discovering different companies that make lightsabers, props, and costumes, but at this point I had identified my "options" for who could provide my first saber.

Realizing I was star-struck by the sheer awesomeness, I spent roughly a month looking at products, figuring out my budget, and seeing which company offered the best fit for me. The fit would include a saber I would like the aesthetics of, the options I wanted (I was still identifying what I wanted), and customer service. Honestly, this forum really helped skew me towards UltraSabers, and I felt comfortable enough to introduce myself and start talking. The video introductions for each saber and feature were also really cool. Every website has pictures. Every website has a few short blurbs about the product. Only UltraSabers has Emory talking to me, one-on-one, about this product that he feels is really cool.

So, I found a few models of hilts that I liked, and while different color options are really cool, the Emerald (and then the Diamond, once I realized what it could do) really caught my eye. After discussing with the wife, we agreed that maybe that's a lot of money to spend on a first purchase from a company I hadn't dealt with before for a luxury item. I scaled back the options, but I kept it above the minimum to get the free initiate in the current promotion. I was ready to submit payment info, but had some questions.

I reached out the Friday before last to ask if I could upgrade the free initiate. Within an hour, Marlena had responded, to confirm, explain the process and give prices. As a side note, at the same time I contacted one of the other guys about an expensive stand and out of stock props on their website (this is important). So I ordered the saber plus freebie a week ago, Sunday, middle of the day, and send an e-mail about which upgrades I'm going to select for the free initiate. First thing in the morning Monday, I get an e-mail about how to finalize the options. This is submitted and verified by mid-day Monday. Shipping data is created that evening, and it is "shipped" the next day. Friday, probably around noon or so, package arrives at my home in NY. I've been happy ever since. Still adjusting to the Windows program, but it's really exciting.

The other guys still haven't answered my inquiry about stock availability and customizations. Guess they don't want my money.

So, what did I get? Glad you asked! I was debating the Raven, Scorpion and Aeon LE v5. Went with the Aeon for price, but will be back for the others.

[Choose Your Configuration: Premium Obsidian Sound]
[Choose the color of your blade!: TRI Consular Green]
[Flash on Clash: No Flash]
[Battery Configuration: Li-Ion Setup With BuckPuck (Batteries & XTAR VC2 Plus Charger Included)]
[Recharge Port: No Recharge Port]
[Blade Length: 36" Standard Size]
[Blade Option: UltraEdge Midgrade]
[v5 Claws: Gold (Default)]
[Pommel: Regular Vented Pommel (hole in bottom) [Recommended]]
[Sound: Obsidian USB V4 Sound! [V4]]
[Switch Type: Silver Non-illuminated AV Switch]
[Choose Blade Tip Type: Round Tip]
[Blade Retention Screw Wrench: Sure!]
[Include Blade Plug: No Thanks]
[Include Saber Stand: Yes, Two Piece Saber Stand]
[Include MINI USB Cable: Yes]
[Include Covertec Clip: No Thanks]
[Install Covertec Wheel: No Thanks]

Knowing the initiate was random, I left instructions for a silver hilt to have a silver non-illuminated AV switch and a tri-Guardian Blue, or a black hilt to have a black non-illuminated switch and a tri-Blazing Red. That way, I'd still get a surprise, but it would be exactly what I wanted without having to ship back for modifications. Whole process was super easy, and fairly priced.

I wound up with an Initiate v2. Wait, the v2? That's the oldest, cheapest hilt on the website you can buy! That's the one hilt I didn't want! Oh boy, I can't believe I did that...

Actually, this hilt is very impressive. It doesn't "feel" cheap, and I got the customizations I wanted. Yeah, it might be an older design, but to wield this thing in-person was such ecstasy for me. Granted, first saber. But even at that, it was a sight to behold. If that's how the "lesser" model feels, I can't imagine having been disappointed with any random initiate hilt. I'll probably take advantage of this particular promotion again, as it's such a good deal.

I opened the Aeon LE v5 second. I figured they'd both be cool, but didn't want to overload the dopamine receptors on the first saber, leaving nothing for the second. I think I chose wisely. This saber is beautiful. I knew I wanted some combination of windows and claws on whatever saber I bought, and this hilt really pulls off what I was looking for. I guess I didn't look into the pommel too much when I was researching, but the fins at the bottom are part of the pommel. Translation: could probably buy another couple for a nice staff. Just another idea to purchase in the future.

I opted for the Obsidian v4. Ten bucks to upgrade from a v3? Sure, why not! So glad I did! It's loud enough to wake my wife when she's sleeping (oops), and I'm having fun finding new combinations to load onto custom fonts. What it came with was great (maybe not "Ancient Saber" but that's just me), but I'm learning how to redo everything. I started off reformatting the banks so I would have a smaller Font 9 (which was going to be silent anyways) and just make an extra font for #8. Work in Progress.

Some harsh words of criticism for the Obsidian launcher, though. First, it has a low percentage chance of detecting the saber correctly. Windows detects that a device is connected, but maybe one out of twenty tries has the launcher detect it, too. Not a BIG problem, except that you can only set up banks when it's connected. Also not a big problem, except that when you load one bank, it resets, and disconnects the saber. So the process of reformatting my banks to get an extra one, and then rewriting the banks I want to keep or have found, should be like a couple hour task, maybe. It might take me a whole week at this rate, though, because I'm unplugging and plugging in the thing for a half hour before it detects it. The program is so powerful and has so much potential for each saber, but ultimately, is infuriating because of this setup. I don't even know if this is a hardware or software issue, as in, can it be patched to make more reliable or are the boards they use just stupid?

I know this is a review board, but if anyone could chime in on this, that would be great. Any tips? I can imagine having an Emerald + Obsidian is even worse, but is the Diamond any better?

Overall, I am quite pleased with my purchase. The craftsmanship on both sabers is exceptional (surprisingly so on their very base model), and their customer service is even better. They even gave me a bunch of points so I'd make another puchase with them. Well, joke's on them, because my next couple of purchases won't use those points, but add to them!

Honestly, my biggest complaint is that I forgot to add blade plugs. I didn't add one to the Aeon intentionally, so that I'd remember to get an extra for the Initiate. I did not. Guess I'll have to buy them separately now. Oh, look, I'm so close to another free Initiate, might as well keep going.

I will be posting pictures of these works of art in the near future. To anyone considering from whom their first/next saber purchase should come, my vote is with UltraSabers.

Thanks all,

Doomshaper

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 03:56:53 AM »

Sounds like you've covered things fairly well
Note on the Obsidian launcher: Always make sure to run it as administrator
Also, make sure you've updated the launcher as well

Daniel1988
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 55

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 04:52:02 AM »

Welcome to the forum (and Ultrasabers community) Doom! Great descriptions and congrats on your wonderful choices. Can't wait to see pics! FYI, if the claws do bother (poke) you, you can switch them around (using the claw side of a hammer to pull them out and redirect them, then lightly tap them back in to stay in). FYI I would suggest a Scorpion for sure (esp. the Crimson,  Wink) as it is a wonderful saber (my first). 

My sabers (as of 8/9/23): (*s)=sound
1.) Frankensaber-Blazing Red (*s)
2.) Grandmaster LE-Sentinel Yellow
3.) Shock LE-Violet Amethyst w/Qd
4.) Dominicide LE-Tri-cree F.Orange
5.) Apprentice LE V4-Guardian Blue (*s)
6.) Dark Graflex-BR (*s)
7.) Spectre-B.Violet Amethyst w/Qd (*s)
8.) Consular-Tri-Cree Consular Green w/Qd
9.) Prophecy V3-SY
10.) Sentinel LE V5-SY
11.) Third Sister LE-VA
12.) Survivor LE- BVA (*s)

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 06:25:43 AM »

Congrats on the Aeon LE V5.  You can't go wrong with the original designed sabers like the Aeon from US.  They're comfortable and easy to customize.  You'll love the Tri-Cree LEDs, once you go Tri-Cree, you won't ever want to go back to single LED

Doomshaper
Knight Aspirant

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 08:31:46 AM »

Sounds like you've covered things fairly well
Note on the Obsidian launcher: Always make sure to run it as administrator
Also, make sure you've updated the launcher as well

My launcher is 2.45. I set it to auto-open as administrator, in case I forget to do it manually each time. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum (and Ultrasabers community) Doom! Great descriptions and congrats on your wonderful choices. Can't wait to see pics! FYI, if the claws do bother (poke) you, you can switch them around (using the claw side of a hammer to pull them out and redirect them, then lightly tap them back in to stay in). FYI I would suggest a Scorpion for sure (esp. the Crimson,  Wink) as it is a wonderful saber (my first). 

I really like these claws. I'm not actively dueling with this, so I think they can stay where they are, but that tip is much appreciated! The pommel claws are only an issue if I were to make a staff from these, but they get removed as part of the pommel when attaching a coupler, so that's great too!

Congrats on the Aeon LE V5.  You can't go wrong with the original designed sabers like the Aeon from US.  They're comfortable and easy to customize.  You'll love the Tri-Cree LEDs, once you go Tri-Cree, you won't ever want to go back to single LED

I may have made a mistake here. Both the sabers are tri-cree, so I have nothing to compare them too, but I will say when I take the blade off the Aeon and try to interface it with the launcher, if it takes 20-30 minutes to do so (and thus the saber is mostly on during that time), the tri-cree shining off my arm is bright enough to give me a headache in that time frame. I might grab a stunt with the single LED, but realistically, I think blade plugs are my best bet for the tri-cree.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: