Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Why The Punisher Was Canceled By Netflix  (Read 522 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« on: February 18, 2019, 12:49:27 PM »

Why did Netflix choose to cancel The Punisher? When news finally broke that the streaming giant had pulled the plug on The Punisher (as well as Jessica Jones) nobody was really surprised. Over the last few months, the relationship between Marvel and Netflix seems to have been winding down; even Daredevil, the flagship Marvel Netflix show, was canceled after three excellent seasons. But some fans had still hoped there was a chance for The Punisher, a spinoff that wasn't part of the original deal and mostly disconnected from The Defenders. It seems that wasn't to be, though, and The Punisher has joined the ranks of the Marvel shows that have been canceled by Netflix.

Netflix issued an official statement in which they thanked everyone involved in the series, including showrunner Steve Lightfoot and the exceptional cast, especially star Jon Bernthal. Marvel's Jeph Loeb responded to the news with a statement of his own, dedicated in equal measure to the cast and crew and to the fans who had continued to tune in to the Marvel Netflix shows over the years. "Our Network partner may have decided they no longer want to continue telling the tales of these great characters," he noted, "but you know Marvel better than that." Given Loeb's note of optimism, it's worth asking just why Netflix decided to cancel The Punisher in the first place.

Related: Every MCU TV Show Ranked Worst To Best

The first reason is a simple one; the various Marvel Netflix shows are expensive to produce and there's evidence they just weren't performing well for the streaming giant. Although Netflix tends not to publish viewing figures, third-party analytics shared with Screen Rant suggested the Marvel series have been losing viewers for years. In fact, the general decline in viewership was what you'd expect to see in a single long-running show; it suggested viewers were interacting with Marvel as a discrete brand, rather than with each series individually. In the end, there would naturally come a time where only the hardcore Marvel fans were tuning in.
Jon Bernthal as Frank Castle in The Punisher

It's worth noting that The Punisher season 2 did buck this trend a little, and is believed to have lost viewers at a slower rate than the other shows; for all that's the case, though, it was still losing viewers. What's more, demand for The Punisher was surprisingly low through 2018, and was outstripped by Daredevil in January - in spite of the fact a new series aired. Even though some had been hoped it would survive, there wasn't audience interest to entertain that discussion.

But there are other, strategic reasons as well. Netflix signed up to their deal with Marvel back in 2013, when they needed these high-profile properties in order to stand out from the crowd. Fast-forward to 2019, however, and Netflix has a very competitive slate even without Marvel; they can launch an unknown property and make it a hit overnight. Netflix isn't short of comic book adaptations and superhero properties either; they're aiming to build a whole universe based around Millarworld, and it's surely no coincidence these latest cancellations were announced straight after The Umbrella Academy premiered over the weekend. Netflix simply doesn't need Marvel anymore.

Ultimately, Netflix made a decision to draw a line under its partnership with Marvel. The truth is that viewers were fortunate to get The Punisher season 2 at all, which was already in production when Netflix began canceling the various Marvel series. Unlike Iron Fist or Luke Cage, though, at least The Punisher didn't end on a cliffhanger of any kind.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 11:56:33 AM »

While everything in the article is true, I think the two biggest things are Netflix wants to create it's own content (not rely on content licensed from other companies). But mainly, the buzz behind these series is nowhere near as high as it once was.

Remember when Daredevil first came out? It was MUST SEE television. As was Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. But Iron Fist soured people a little. While S3 of Daredevil was brilliant, it was not marketed anywhere near as much as S1 was. Fans knew when it was coming and binged it, but the conversation around in from the general audience was much much lower than when S1 came out.

But at least these shows proved that the "ground level" heroes can be done and done well. Audiences want variety and there is definitely a place in the MCU for the darker grittier hero who is just concerned with his neighbourhood rather than joining in the battle against Thanos.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 12:12:46 PM »

I also read that Netflix wanted new characters but didn't want to pay more for them and Marvel wouldn't let up since they wanted to keep their characters for future MCU or solo movie ventures.  Netflix is always evolving and with shows coming out with one or two new characters that aren't relevant, it's a no brainer that they began to cancel shows.  Sure, this isn't the only reason, they do want to make their own shows and the original contract with Marvel was to bring something to the table that had lots of fans. Enter the characters for the Defenders.  It was a win/win situation for Marvel since they weren't going to use these characters anytime soon and they aren't selling the rights to them like they did with the X-Men decades ago. 

All of these shows started having lost of interest in them but this is the world that we live in.  People want crazy things to happen over good story line and content.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 01:39:00 PM »

and they aren't selling the rights to them like they did with the X-Men decades ago. 
That was only because was on the verge of going bankrupt in the 90s. True fact.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 02:20:09 PM »

That was only because was on the verge of going bankrupt in the 90s. True fact.

Oh, I know that. I'm saying that they're no longer doing so

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 07:23:44 AM »

Oh, I know that. I'm saying that they're no longer doing so
Oh, I know that. I was just pointing out that fact for our younger viewers.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »

My good man. You can't be past 35, am I right?

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 03:47:20 PM »

Aye, I have had to explain countless times why Marvel's franchises were spread around so much.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 10:53:48 PM »

The punter generation only know the MCU with the exception of a handful of actual fans

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: