Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Netflix Cancels The Punisher and Jessica Jones  (Read 3076 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« on: February 18, 2019, 08:02:19 PM »

Marvel's The Punisher has been canceled after two seasons, and Jessica Jones will be canceled following its third.

Deadline broke the news about The Punisher’s cancelation, receiving a quote from Netflix saying “Marvel’s The Punisher will not return for a third season on Netflix. Showrunner Steve Lightfoot, the terrific crew, and exceptional cast including star Jon Bernthal, delivered an acclaimed and compelling series for fans, and we are proud to showcase their work on Netflix for years to come."

Netflix is also canceling Jessica Jones following its upcoming third season, saying “In addition, in reviewing our Marvel programming, we have decided that the upcoming third season will also be the final season for Marvel’s Jessica Jones. We are grateful to showrunner Melissa Rosenberg, star Krysten Ritter and the entire cast and crew, for three incredible seasons of this groundbreaking series, which was recognized by the Peabody Awards among many others."

“We are grateful to Marvel for five years of our fruitful partnership and thank the passionate fans who have followed these series from the beginning.”

Marvel’s Jeph Loeb also commented on these cancellations in a letter to fans, saying "On behalf of everyone at Marvel Television, we couldn't be more proud or more grateful to our audience. Our Network partner may have decided they no longer want to continue telling the tales of these great characters... but you know Marvel better than that. As Matthew Murdock's Dad once said, 'The measure of a man is not how he gets knocked to the mat, it's how he gets back up.’"

The Punisher himself Jon Bernthal took to Instagram to say his farewells to Frank Castle, saying "To all who have served. All who know loss. All who love and understand Frank and his pain. It has been an honor to walk in his boots. I’m endlessly grateful to the comic fans and the men and women of the Armed Services and law enforcement community who Frank means so much to. Thank you to the USMC and all the wonderful soldiers who trained me. Go Hard. Be safe."
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 10.15.45 AM

The Punisher and Jessica Jones follow the cancelations of Iron Fist, Luke Cage and Daredevil. The upcoming Disney+ streaming service will have its own Marvel TV shows, including a Loki show starring Tom Hiddleston and The Vision and Scarlet Witch.

With Disney acquiring a larger share of Hulu in the Fox acquisition, some more adult-oriented Marvel animated shows like Howard the Duck, M.O.D.O.K. and more will head to Hulu in the future. Hulu is also interested in reviving some of these canceled Netflix Marvel shows, though nothing can be done until after the merger.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 08:03:17 PM »

Sorry for the double post, I meant to post this earlier and posted the wrong one which by the time that I got back to it, the time has past for me to edit.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 08:30:12 PM »

Can't say we didn't see this coming exactly...

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 09:45:32 PM »

Yeah but it still makes me sad about the Punisher.  Cry  Going to have to evaluate whether I'm going to continue with a Netflix subscription after this...

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »

I was going to post this news when I heard it yesterday evening, but we all knew this was coming. It's a shame. The Marvel Netflix-verse was really interesting. Ok, The Defenders didn't quite deliver on it's promise. Neither did Iron Fist. But I thought both seasons of Luke Cage were solid with Daredevil being the gold standard. I still think they should have cut the seasons down to 10 episodes each. But at least this means we may now get new versions of these characters from the MCU somewhere down the line (it's reported that Marvel cannot use these versions of the characters and cannot introduce new versions for I believe it's something like 2 years. Which makes sense. Time allows for separation which allows for a reboot).

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 12:07:25 PM »

It's not like Luke Cage, Iron Fist and DareDevil were canceled previously... Oh wait...

I was going to post this news when I heard it yesterday evening, but we all knew this was coming. It's a shame. The Marvel Netflix-verse was really interesting. Ok, The Defenders didn't quite deliver on it's promise. Neither did Iron Fist. But I thought both seasons of Luke Cage were solid with Daredevil being the gold standard. I still think they should have cut the seasons down to 10 episodes each. But at least this means we may now get new versions of these characters from the MCU somewhere down the line (it's reported that Marvel cannot use these versions of the characters and cannot introduce new versions for I believe it's something like 2 years. Which makes sense. Time allows for separation which allows for a reboot).

It's a shame since I like most of these versions of the characters, especially The Punisher, Luke and DareDevil.  I actually started to like Danny in the second season.  We'll see though, I hope that Marvel eventually gets them back into the ring so that we can see them in the MCU in a few years

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 01:42:51 PM »

It's a shame since I like most of these versions of the characters, especially The Punisher, Luke and DareDevil.  I actually started to like Danny in the second season.  We'll see though, I hope that Marvel eventually gets them back into the ring so that we can see them in the MCU in a few years
I think they'll probably end up on a tv show of their own again, seeing as how Marvel is beginning to dabble in that world with the Loki series, Scarlet Witchy/Vision series etc. Testing the waters to see what works and if there's an audience for this content. Personally, I think they should do a Hawkeye series. Really show-off the coolness of the character from the comics that hasn't really been explored in the movies. A Jason Bourne style espionage show with arrows, minus the memory loss would be fantastic.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »

Agreed. They'll more than likely join the ranks of series like Hawkeye and Black Widow even though I've read that Black Widow is supposed to have her own spin off movie so it would be a bit weird to have a series and a movie.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 06:20:44 PM »

Agreed. They'll more than likely join the ranks of series like Hawkeye and Black Widow even though I've read that Black Widow is supposed to have her own spin off movie so it would be a bit weird to have a series and a movie.
I think Black Widow movie will be announced after End Game when they let us know the grand plan for phase 4.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 06:22:12 PM »

I'm wondering what this will mean for the Netflix version of these shows... will the released episodes remain, or will they be pulled altogether?

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »

I'm wondering what this will mean for the Netflix version of these shows... will the released episodes remain, or will they be pulled altogether?

Netflix announced that they will continue to stay for years to come, they just won't have new seasons

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 09:07:49 PM »

Marvel has the money to settle with netflix if they wanted to use these stories and actors. But we all know that Marvel has no problem rebooting the stories and saving money by doing so. The biggest question for me is when they do where will they be? A Marvel streaming service?

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 09:09:33 PM »

Marvel has the money to settle with netflix if they wanted to use these stories and actors. But we all know that Marvel has no problem rebooting the stories and saving money by doing so. The biggest question for me is when they do where will they be? A Marvel streaming service?
I've just heard on Screen Junkies that Netflix will still own the rights to the characters for another 18 months (ish). So that will be why Marvel won't be able to use the characters yet, even though the shows have been cancelled.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 09:27:07 PM »

I've just heard on Screen Junkies that Netflix will still own the rights to the characters for another 18 months (ish). So that will be why Marvel won't be able to use the characters yet, even though the shows have been cancelled.

I was just saying that if Marvel wanted to use them they could make a deal with Netflix (pay them). But I don't expect anything like that to happen.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2019, 03:16:10 PM »

More than likely the Marvel shows will move to the Disney Streaming Service.    Hey...maybe Bernthal can be the New Wolverine

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: