Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: 10 Movies That Were Improved By Having No Money  (Read 2228 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: February 20, 2019, 11:08:56 AM »

Sometimes less is more. Especially when it comes to making movies as a big budget may limit creativity and problem solving. the sexy British blokes at What Culture look at 10 movies that were better because they had little/no money.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiiG78hp3n4&amp;t=647s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">Error 404 (Not Found)!!1</a>

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 12:18:08 AM »

I was already thinking Star Wars before I saw that list. A few of those I didn't even know were low budget, like Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's really pretty amazing what George Lucas and Steven Spielberg can do with little money. Another one I'd add is the original Robocop. We got a gritty action story with a great story and fleshed out characters, not to mention some of the best one liners of all time, all on a $13million budget. It forced Paul Verhoeven to make decisions that grounded the movie in reality, like having the robotics be the only actual science fiction aspects of the film.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 05:33:22 PM »

Deadpool was what I thought of.  It's funny how the studios wouldn't go for this since Ryan's been campaigning for this movie for over a decade and it isn't the first R rated Marvel movie, Blade was and still is.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:14:44 PM »

Deadpool was what I thought of.  It's funny how the studios wouldn't go for this since Ryan's been campaigning for this movie for over a decade and it isn't the first R rated Marvel movie, Blade was and still is.
Do you mean first R rated movie with a Marvel character?

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 06:15:50 PM »

I guess I need to be literal. Yes

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 06:55:13 PM »

What we really need is a R rated Howard the Duck movie. Who's with me?

I guess I need to be literal. Yes
It's funny how many people still don't realise that Blade is a Marvel character. And speaking of vampires have you guys heard that they're doing The Lost Boys as a tv series? And they are gender swapping The Frogs to be female.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 07:20:54 PM »

What we really need is a R rated Howard the Duck movie. Who's with me?

I wasn't a fan of his so I'll have to hear the pitch behind this story...

It's funny how many people still don't realise that Blade is a Marvel character. And speaking of vampires have you guys heard that they're doing The Lost Boys as a tv series? And they are gender swapping The Frogs to be female.

Which is funny since he's so iconic and is in his world along with Spidey's and now, the Avengers.  I love the character and his stories. Wesley did the character's portrayal very well.

I did not know about the Lost Boys tv series, that's going to be interesting. I'll watch it.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 07:30:44 PM »

I wasn't a fan of his so I'll have to hear the pitch behind this story...
It's a remake of the George Lucas original. But with a CGI Howard instead of a little person in a duck suit. Keep in the duck-fu, duck breasts and interspecies romance, because that's what makes the original so bad it's good!  Grin Grin

Which is funny since he's so iconic and is in his world along with Spidey's and now, the Avengers.
I may be wrong but I believe there was no mention Marvel banner in the opening of the film. Plus it was marketed as a street level vampire hunter action kung-fuey flick. With a sword. And Kris Kristofferson.  Cheesy

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 08:29:34 PM »

It's a remake of the George Lucas original. But with a CGI Howard instead of a little person in a duck suit. Keep in the duck-fu, duck breasts and interspecies romance, because that's what makes the original so bad it's good!  Grin Grin
I may be wrong but I believe there was no mention Marvel banner in the opening of the film. Plus it was marketed as a street level vampire hunter action kung-fuey flick. With a sword. And Kris Kristofferson.  Cheesy

There wasn't a Marvel banner, of course, but the opening credits had the "Based on a character appearing in Marvel Comics" as well as Stan Lee's name.  But, again, this was a time where the average movie goer had no idea who Stan Lee was.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »

but the opening credits had the "Based on a character appearing in Marvel Comics"
Did it? Been a while since I last saw it. But then again, now I come to think about it, I rarely pay attention to the opening credits.

But, again, this was a time where the average movie goer had no idea who Stan Lee was.
Uneducated heathens!!!!!!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 08:44:36 PM »

Uneducated heathens!!!!!!

I know right.   The Comic world being brought to the limelight in the form of the MCU has made an interesting time.  I recently had a conversation with a guy who wanted to get his kid into Thor comics since he liked Thor.  He asked me where to begin.  As I started rambling off the different collections he should start with his eyes glazed and he stopped me.  "How are their so many comics if Thor hasn't been around that long?"   His shock was audible when I informed him Thor has almost a 60 year history in the comics.  He literally thought Thor was made up for the MCU.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 08:49:04 PM »

I know right.   The Comic world being brought to the limelight in the form of the MCU has made an interesting time.  I recently had a conversation with a guy who wanted to get his kid into Thor comics since he liked Thor.  He asked me where to begin.  As I started rambling off the different collections he should start with his eyes glazed and he stopped me.  "How are their so many comics if Thor hasn't been around that long?"   His shock was audible when I informed him Thor has almost a 60 year history in the comics.  He literally thought Thor was made up for the MCU.
One the one hand, it's great that the MCU is getting new people into comics. But thinking that these characters were just made up for the movies? That's just dumb. Even if you have never read a comic before you must know that comics have been around since at least the 1930s. Or even the 1960s if you didn't realise about the golden age. But now he knows and hopefully he and his son will go down the rabbit hole, across the rainbow bridge and become hooked.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 08:55:35 PM »

His shock was audible when I informed him Thor has almost a 60 year history in the comics.  He literally thought Thor was made up for the MCU.

And this is what differentiates the MCU only fans from the comic fans. Nothing wrong with being an MCU fan, you have to start somewhere as a fan and if you like it, there are some that become hardcore fans like us. 

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 01:09:33 AM »

Let's not argue over Blade or Deadpool being in the first R-rated movie with a Marvel character, because neither is correct. This masterpiece would be the correct answer:

(click images to enlarge)

Now, this gem from 1989 bears little resemblance to the source material, but it's technically a movie with a Marvel character and most definitely is rated R. In fact, people seem to forget every Punisher film they've made has been rated R.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 08:09:00 AM »

Touche, SFD, touche. Point for that

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: