Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: CAPTAIN MARVEL: CRITICS ONLINE REVIEWS  (Read 11308 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: February 21, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »

So, the critics have seen Captain Marvel and the social media embargo has been lifted.......and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

Check out John Campea letting us know what some critics have said.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njq04sJOwL0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njq04sJOwL0</a>

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 181

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 02:41:30 AM »

Was there any question about it?  Every time I see a trailer/promo about it I get more and more hyped.  I've already got tickets for a Thursday night showing and a Friday night showing. 

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:45:06 AM »

Was there any question about it?  Every time I see a trailer/promo about it I get more and more hyped.  I've already got tickets for a Thursday night showing and a Friday night showing. 
Well, there are people out there who are not looking forward to this movie for any number of reasons:

1- They do not like the character and prefer the OG Avengers crew
2- They do not like Brie Larson as an actress
3- They do not like some of Brie Larson's opinions on certain topics
4- It's not Avengers: End Game
5- They don't think the movie looks any good

Personally I cannot wait to see the film. I've limited myself to the first two trailers on purpose as I don't want to see too much beforehand. It's a comic book movie, which is always welcome. Plus at this point the MCU has such a good track record I doubt they will f*ck up now. Plus female led superhero movie is always welcome.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 01:11:19 PM »

Well, there are people out there who are not looking forward to this movie for any number of reasons:

1- They do not like the character and prefer the OG Avengers crew
2- They do not like Brie Larson as an actress
3- They do not like some of Brie Larson's opinions on certain topics
4- It's not Avengers: End Game
5- They don't think the movie looks any good

All of the above for me.  To me Captain Marvel is in the same vein as the Fantastic Four... not strong enough to carry a solo adventure.  I may eventually see it just to have that gap before Endgame filled but I am definitely not gung ho about it.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 07:14:48 AM »

I like all of the things that people complain about with movies but I always go into a movie, especially a book/comic book to cinematic adaptation with an opened mind.

Meaning that everything that people may dislike about Captain Marvel, I like.  Most people who complain aren't really die hard fans any how and make their own opinions about the actress or movie before even watching the film.  Then, there's also the toxic fans that either want a specific actress or a different race of actress and will become toxic on social media (See Kelley Tran). 

One would think that because an iconic thing like turning comic book characters into the big screen would bring us fans alike which it does for the most part.  It also brings in the toxic, sexist, racist, and inhumane fans too.  I remember when Ant-Man and the Wasp was announced and that they cast the beautiful Hannah John-Kamen who did quite well but toxic fans were commenting on how Ghost was a man in the comics until the creator of the character took to social media stating that Ghost can be any person and was only portrayed as a man in the comics since he didn't think about it at the time. 

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 02:34:49 PM »

I like all of the things that people complain about with movies but I always go into a movie, especially a book/comic book to cinematic adaptation with an opened mind.

Meaning that everything that people may dislike about Captain Marvel, I like.  Most people who complain aren't really die hard fans any how and make their own opinions about the actress or movie before even watching the film.  Then, there's also the toxic fans that either want a specific actress or a different race of actress and will become toxic on social media (See Kelley Tran). 

One would think that because an iconic thing like turning comic book characters into the big screen would bring us fans alike which it does for the most part.  It also brings in the toxic, sexist, racist, and inhumane fans too.  I remember when Ant-Man and the Wasp was announced and that they cast the beautiful Hannah John-Kamen who did quite well but toxic fans were commenting on how Ghost was a man in the comics until the creator of the character took to social media stating that Ghost can be any person and was only portrayed as a man in the comics since he didn't think about it at the time. 

So..am I "toxic" because I have never cared for Brie Larson or Captain Marvel?  A big budget film isn't going to all of a sudden change my mind.   Toxic to me are those who think a specific race or gender should NEVER be a superhero.  Not wanting an established character changed for no other reason that to do so I don't consider Toxic.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »

I have no issue with those people who do not like Brie Larson as an actress. There are some actors out there who I don't like and don't clamour to see their films. I also ha d no problem with people who think the movie doesn't look any good. "Good" is a subjective term with no wrong or right opinion.

Not wanting to see the film because it's not the OG Avengers/isn't End Game I personally find a little narrow-minded. I understand having favourite characters but it's hard for me to wrap my head around that approach as I'm a fan of the franchise as whole. But, each to their own.

As for her personal opinions, and this is not directed at anyone on this forum, but the toxic side of fandom had taken great pleasure in trying to twist her words into something they're not. I'm making specific reference to her comments on getting more women involved in film. Many people are all for that and she was asked about it in an interview and gave her views. But then toxic fandom decided she was "anti men". And that was not the point she was making. But some people are now using that as a stick to beat her with/an excuse to boycott the film.

Now, I don't follow a lot of actors interviews on chat shows or whatever, so am unaware of any other potentially inflammatory comments she may have made about other subjects. But from what I've been reading recently, the issue with her stems from recent comments. It's like the James Gunn situation all over again.

If fandom isn't careful they will end updestroying this golden age of geekdom we are currently enjoying.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 10:27:48 AM »

So..am I "toxic" because I have never cared for Brie Larson or Captain Marvel?  A big budget film isn't going to all of a sudden change my mind.   Toxic to me are those who think a specific race or gender should NEVER be a superhero.  Not wanting an established character changed for no other reason that to do so I don't consider Toxic.

Calm down man. I wasn't even talking about you. I'm talking about fans who are toxic to others or the actors/actresses and trolls them.  Your opinion is yours and yours alone so I'm not sure why you felt that I was talking about you. 

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 05:38:22 PM »

This movie is different. I see something about it and I get super excited, then I see something else, and my excitement kind of plummets. Right now the biggest reasons I'm going to watch it is because it is Marvel, it has importance to Endgame, Nick Fury (young) Phil Coulson (young) and Jude Law. I haven't seen any of Brie's stuff that I can think of, so I have no idea what kind of actress she is. I will base my decision on her off what I see in this movie, and the decision will be whether or not I like her as Captain Marvel. She certainly looks the part, but that doesn't guarantee a great performance.

(See Kelley Tran).  

Not going to go deep into this because this thread isn't about SW, but I have no problem with Tran. I think she played Rose very well. Unfortunately, I hated Rose. She just was not a good character to me, and in case you don't know, good characters are extremely important to me. So if I say something bad about Rose Tico, it has nothing to do with Kelly. It has to do with Rose. (And I'm never going to say something "bad" about a character, just state my opinion on the character if you understand what I mean).

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 06:16:17 PM »

I haven't seen any of Brie's stuff that I can think of, so I have no idea what kind of actress she is.
She plays Scott Pilgrim's ex-girlfriend Envy Adams in Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Plus, she has an Oscar (not for Scott Pilgrim though Cheesy)

I'm going to watch it is because it is Marvel, it has importance to Endgame, Nick Fury (young) Phil Coulson (young) and Jude Law.
All you need is young Coulson!  Grin

Not going to go deep into this because this thread isn't about SW, but I have no problem with Tran. I think she played Rose very well. Unfortunately, I hated Rose. She just was not a good character to me, and in case you don't know, good characters are extremely important to me. So if I say something bad about Rose Tico, it has nothing to do with Kelly. It has to do with Rose. (And I'm never going to say something "bad" about a character, just state my opinion on the character if you understand what I mean).
That's called separating the "art" from the "artist" and it's something I wish a lot more people would try and do.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 11:24:34 AM »

Which you are entitled to and that doesn't make you a toxic fan since you're not calling out Kelley for being Asian or not looking a certain way or anything.  You just dislike the character due to bad script or whatever.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 06:40:59 PM »

Which you are entitled to and that doesn't make you a toxic fan since you're not calling out Kelley for being Asian or not looking a certain way or anything.  You just dislike the character due to bad script or whatever.
Exactly. I didn't like the Rose "character" but Kelly is cute as all hell. Totally adorabubble.

Anyway, going back to Captain Marvel, these reviews have allayed any fears I had that the film may be a bit middle of the road. I'm still going in with low expectations, but at least I know I will enjoy it a lot (although it's Marvel. The last MCU film I didn't like was Iron Man 3).

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 07:33:55 PM »

I must be weird (which I believe we all already knew), but I actually really liked Iron Man 3. Was it perfect? No, but it told a good story, and gave Tony a good deal of character development.

She plays Scott Pilgrim's ex-girlfriend Envy Adams in Scott Pilgrim vs The World. Plus, she has an Oscar (not for Scott Pilgrim though Cheesy)

Which I will probably watch sometime, but haven't yet.

Anyway, going back to Captain Marvel, these reviews have allayed any fears I had that the film may be a bit middle of the road. I'm still going in with low expectations, but at least I know I will enjoy it a lot (although it's Marvel. The last MCU film I didn't like was Iron Man 3).

The more movies I watch the better I get at going into them with high hopes and low expectations. Helps me to be more likely to enjoy a movie that way.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 07:52:12 PM »

I must be weird (which I believe we all already knew), but I actually really liked Iron Man 3. Was it perfect? No, but it told a good story, and gave Tony a good deal of character development.
Don't worry. They are plenty of people that like IM3. I'm in the minority in my dislike. Although, as with all MCU movies, there was some good stuff in there. But overall it felt a little bloated. And I hate Hate HATE that Mandarin "twist".

Which I will probably watch sometime, but haven't yet.
You MUST watch it soon. This delay has been going on far too long. Don't make us have to get your parents involved!

The more movies I watch the better I get at going into them with high hopes and low expectations. Helps me to be more likely to enjoy a movie that way.
High hopes and low expectations is the best way to go into any movie. I find that some "fans" (and I use that term very loosely in this sense) dislike some of the major releases because it didn't give them the story THEY would have told/expecting. Rather than appreciating the story that was actually told. Then they start nitpicking over minutiae. But, that just leaves more movie for the rest of us to appreciate.

Jev Moldara
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1280

The Mad Professor

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 08:20:19 PM »

And I hate Hate HATE that Mandarin "twist".

That seems to be the one thing about IM3 that was consistently disliked.

It was so disliked that Marvel basically retconned the entire thing in a Marvel One-Shot.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mceyJxMuYFE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">Error 404 (Not Found)!!1</a>

Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?"

Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: