Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: CAPTAIN MARVEL: CRITICS ONLINE REVIEWS  (Read 11303 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 08:22:30 PM »

That seems to be the one thing about IM3 that was consistently disliked.

It was so disliked that Marvel basically retconned the entire thing in a Marvel One-Shot.

Ironically, I like that One-Shot (anyone else miss the One-Shots on the bluray releases?). But I still say that IM3 is the worst movie in the MCU. Ironically, I know a lot of people dislike IM2 but I rather like it.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 09:45:01 PM »

Apologies to all if I came off a bit abrasive.  Currently dealing with a trying issue at work and became agitated.  No excuse of course.  The whole Captain Marvel debacle was something I would have been just happy to ignore and move on to Endgame, but I got pulled into the debate and now my distaste is ingrained.  As stated I don't plan to see the movie, at least not in its initial run. So, since I have nothing positive to say about it I will refrain from commenting further.  Again, apologies for my brusqueness.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 09:51:34 PM »

Apologies to all if I came off a bit abrasive.  Currently dealing with a trying issue at work and became agitated.  No excuse of course.  The whole Captain Marvel debacle was something I would have been just happy to ignore and move on to Endgame, but I got pulled into the debate and now my distaste is ingrained.  As stated I don't plan to see the movie, at least not in its initial run. So, since I have nothing positive to say about it I will refrain from commenting further.  Again, apologies for my brusqueness.
We've all been there with the bad days at work. Stay strong brother.
Do you need a hug?

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 09:59:46 PM »

We've all been there with the bad days at work. Stay strong brother.
Do you need a hug?

Unless its from Ashley Graham it wont do much good :p...but thanks anyway.  It has been topped with some hopeful news though but I don't want to jinx it.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 10:02:50 PM »

Unless its from Ashley Graham it wont do much good :p...but thanks anyway.  It has been topped with some hopeful news though but I don't want to jinx it.
What if I got Ashley Graham to dress up as Captain Marvel......

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »

Don't worry. They are plenty of people that like IM3. I'm in the minority in my dislike. Although, as with all MCU movies, there was some good stuff in there. But overall it felt a little bloated. And I hate Hate HATE that Mandarin "twist".

I don't know much about The Mandarin, but I agree. That was pretty badly done.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 10:20:01 PM »

What if I got Ashley Graham to dress up as Captain Marvel......

Nah..make it Animated Series Rogue and you got deal

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 10:23:00 PM »

I don't know much about The Mandarin, but I agree. That was pretty badly done.
I was so into the character right up until the twist.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 10:29:42 PM »

I dunno what they thought they were doing with that "twist".  The Mandarin was one of Iron Man's main foes and they make it a joke....to make it a worse slap in the face they get Sir Ben Kinglsy to play said joke.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 10:46:14 PM »

And his portrayal up until that point, while different to the comics, was a great and interesting direction to take the character. I place the blame firmly on the shoulders of Shane Black. Yes, he's done some great movies, but Ironman 3 is not one of them.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 338

Fretful Instigator of the Prismatic Order

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 12:19:56 AM »

If it sucks, women need to voice it and why, or it won't be fixed. They are no longer making these for the men, so they don't care that we've been the base of fans and creators for so long. After a lifetime of being mocked for loving this stuff, the very people who mocked me have appropriated it to play identity politics. Oddly, comics have been teaching great lessons about equality and acceptance for a long time, yet people who don't understand that take over and think it's ground breaking. It's not groundbreaking. It's been a long time coming. How 'bout recognize the people who have been doing it well for a long time building this, instead of handing it at the end to people who would've made fun of it 10 years ago? I should've seen the dilution coming when the special and unique became mainstream.

A Long Kiss Goodnight was groundbreaking. Why didn't that play into their self celebration? It wasn't the male audience that failed to respond. It was Lifetime.

Selfish passion is unquenching.
What strength have you when you are a slave to your passions?
What power without strength of character?
To self centered rage, you will be chained.
The dark side is no victory.

The long path to peace is through balanced emotions.
The first step to gaining knowledge is recognizing your own ignorance.
Serenity is patient, not passionate satisfaction.
Find harmony by understanding chaos.
Become one with the force, which will never die.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »

For years, the movie industry was convinced that the movie going public had no interest in female comic book movies. Their reasoning behind that was they made Supergirl (1984) and it flopped. The reason that movie flopped wasn't because it was female led, it flopped because it wasn't a very good movie. The same can be said of Elektra and Catwoman. However, the studios at the same time continued to churn of male led superhero movies, many of which flopped as well. Bit of a double standard there.

Comic books may traditionally have been the domain of boys and young men, but statistics have shown a massive increase in female readers. Yes, girls like superheros too. And comics (as well as sci-fi) has long been ahead of the curve in giving it's fandom strong, well-written female characters. Characters that both men and women are fans of. And yet, when it came to the movies, despite the massive boom and popularity of comic book movies, it took until Wonder Woman (2017) before we got another female led movie.

Elektra came out in 2005. A quick internet search will show just how many comic book movies have been released between then and Wonder Woman. Nolan's bat trilogy, the creation and subsequent dominance of the MCU, DCEU putting their hat into the ring as well. And let us not forget that many people expected Wonder Woman to flop. Some because it was DC movie and they were struggling at the time. But others purely because "she's a woman". It is similar in many ways to the attitudes facing Black Panther when it came out. There were some who didn't think a superhero movie with a black lead and all black cast (bar Gollum and Bilbo) would be successful as people may struggle to relate.

Comics has long be about diversity and inclusion. Different genders, different ethnicities. We accept and embrace aliens without a second thought. And yet, some sections of fandom throw their toys out of the pram now that studios are (slowly) starting to bring that same diversity to the screen.

The world is diverse and made of lots of different people. Some look like you. Some don't. But complaining that a studio wants to make sure that as many parts of the audience are catered to on-screen seems very narrow minded to me. More female led superhero movies doesn't lessen the impact or popularity of the other movies. Neither does movies starring people of colour. If people are truly fans of the comics, then they should celebrate the fact that Marel, Dc and other studios are making an effort to bring those worlds on the printed page to the big screen and expose millions of people around the world to the positive messages we read.

Sales of comic books are at an all time low. Gone are the days of the 90s when an issue would sell over 1 million copies worldwide. They're lucky if they sell 40,000 copies of an issue now. Movies have far more reach and impact nowadays.

And any actor asking for equality and diversity should be celebrated, not criticised.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »

I apologize, as my words are often being lumped in with what others have said in the past, and I'm sure the things I say are made to sound like them. It's not my intention. I am not complaining about women or women being involved. I'm complaining about the specific people taking over the industry who don't understand the genre as it has been built. They've got their agenda without respect for how comics have already been building equality and understanding for a long time. That's why the stories are losing impact and offending OG fans.

The assumption that my dissatisfaction has anything to do with my maleness is why I said female fans will be the only ones heard, if it sucks. I thought plenty of male led superhero movies have sucked, but you've pointed out that people don't assume it failed because of the lead being male. When a movie sucks, they don't assume my complaints have to do with gender or race until the lead is a different gender or race. It seems like 10 years ago, I could say it sucked and people would agree or disagree, but I'm not allowed to say it sucks now unless it's male and white. That is the identity politics of it. I'm not mad it's a woman. I'm noticing that male fans are intentionally being jabbed and blamed for something far more complex than what is assumed the entire gender has hindered.

I still have to put up with being mocked by women in my life who have no idea what I'm talking about when I mention Rey or Capt. Marvel or any hero story, because they still don't give a crap. These stories I love are being changed in a way that isn't boosting to women, but Mary Sue to women and bashing of men. It isn't doing well to increase people's understanding and respect, because the story often isn't told in a way that builds character. It's more like a hit piece. If it fits one's bias, they attack and cry prejudice of anyone who disagrees. I feel like society's race and gender understanding is stepping backwards in the media portrayal and in films with female leads. Why? It's like someone gets the chance to prove what they can do, and they start bashing anyone who did something before them, wasting the chance to reach anyone different. But I'm usually not heard when I point out that being done wrong isn't an excuse to do others wrong, it's all the more reason you know not to do it. Our society is headed in a direction of deepening lines so their group becomes their identity, which leads to prejudging others in their respective groups. If someone looks like one who wronged you, don't lose the chance at a friend by wronging them with your desire for vengeance.

I hope Marvel is being run by people who still have good intentions. But, a number of film makers are getting involved that seem more interested in grinding an axe. Capt. Marvel's lead actress can be quoted as not caring what men think, because she had no intention of making the story for them. I don't believe the comics were just for boys. The women who were fans before are special inclusive people. The new film makers jumping on the bandwagon didn't respect it before, and they aren't telling the story correctly now. They just want to get their blaming agenda in there. I hope they make a hero for all. I hope our society can course correct without driving a greater wedge between people. I hope more people with a balanced awareness become the predominant voice, instead of the bias voices I keep hearing bicker. I don't want to be thrust in with either of them, and I apologize that I'm not the clearest speaker to avoid seeming like it.

Obese Wan Kenobese
Knight Commander

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 12:36:25 AM »

Well, if I ruined the thread, I can make feeble efforts to get it back on track.

Ermagersh, how can we celebrate a HERo that beats up an old lady?!!  Wink  Tongue  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Qn-sl0EqE

Trailers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BCujX3pw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHxvxdRnYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shRKB9QiTus

She's a kree who refers to herself as noble hero? Ok, built in arrogance. I hope that's not too severe, more like a joke like what we see with Quill or personal flaw she works on like Stark. I'm not a fan of central characters that don't have some kind of humble side. Aren't the Kree the blue guys that wrecked Earth in the SHIELD show, and the jerks who wouldn't rein in their emo guy Ronan, defeated by Guardians of the Galaxy? So, I'm guessing she's a human that gets made into a soldier for them and then turns on them. So, we're gonna see like 3 versions of her. The human pre-kree, the 'Kree' they make her and the final form to save the day with her restored memories AND powers that they gave her or she already had which is why they wanted her.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 12:41:22 PM »

Well, if I ruined the thread, I can make feeble efforts to get it back on track.

Ermagersh, how can we celebrate a HERo that beats up an old lady?!!  Wink  Tongue  Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8Qn-sl0EqE

Trailers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BCujX3pw8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LHxvxdRnYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shRKB9QiTus

She's a kree who refers to herself as noble hero? Ok, built in arrogance. I hope that's not too severe, more like a joke like what we see with Quill or personal flaw she works on like Stark. I'm not a fan of central characters that don't have some kind of humble side. Aren't the Kree the blue guys that wrecked Earth in the SHIELD show, and the jerks who wouldn't rein in their emo guy Ronan, defeated by Guardians of the Galaxy? So, I'm guessing she's a human that gets made into a soldier for them and then turns on them. So, we're gonna see like 3 versions of her. The human pre-kree, the 'Kree' they make her and the final form to save the day with her restored memories AND powers that they gave her or she already had which is why they wanted her.

Her arrogance is pretty on par for the Kree.  Mar-Vel was pretty much the only Kree who wasn't an outright ass and that was because he lived so long on Earth. 

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: