Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: THE KID: Official Trailer  (Read 689 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« on: February 21, 2019, 09:49:59 PM »

Chris Pratt and Ethan Hawke go back to the western genre again with this new take on Billy the Kid. And it looks pretty darn good. Pratt with a beard is almost unrecognisable. And is playing against type, which will be interesting to see.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x-flHyP9I0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x-flHyP9I0</a>

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 12:54:14 AM »

The only problem I have with biopics like this is the guy playing Billy the Kid is 32 years old. Billy died at 21. Is it really that hard to find someone appropriately aged to play the Kid?

Having said that, this does look good. Ethan Hawke looks like he's killing it as usual. It's definitely good to see him and Chris Pratt back in a western, and a western coming out at all is a good thing. They don't make them much anymore since they killed the genre a few decades ago. Also, it's directed by Vincent D'Onofrio. He's a hell of an actor, it's good to see him moving behind the camera too.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 08:49:47 AM »

The only problem I have with biopics like this is the guy playing Billy the Kid is 32 years old. Billy died at 21. Is it really that hard to find someone appropriately aged to play the Kid?
Is that your desire for accuracy kicking in again? You telling me you didn't like Emilio Estevez's portrayal in Young Guns? I hear what you're saying though, but it's all about needing star power for marketing. Plus Dane Dehaan is a fine actor andI think will be a good fit.

Having said that, this does look good. Ethan Hawke looks like he's killing it as usual. It's definitely good to see him and Chris Pratt back in a western, and a western coming out at all is a good thing. They don't make them much anymore since they killed the genre a few decades ago. Also, it's directed by Vincent D'Onofrio. He's a hell of an actor, it's good to see him moving behind the camera too.
Sounds like you're a big fan of the western genre. I think it was war movies and cop movies that killed the western. But we don't get too many of either of those genres anymore either. Natural evolution as societal tastes change I suppose.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »

Is that your desire for accuracy kicking in again? You telling me you didn't like Emilio Estevez's portrayal in Young Guns? I hear what you're saying though, but it's all about needing star power for marketing. Plus Dane Dehaan is a fine actor andI think will be a good fit.

Yeah, but I saw Young Guns long before I saw anything resembling a documentary on Billy the Kid. Wink

But, yeah, as long as the guy does good, it will be good. I've not seen him in a whole lot, so I reserve judgment. Skimming through his list, The Amazing Spider-Man jumps out at me, but I only saw that once, about the time it came out on DVD.

Though, Hollywood does some weird age things anyway. Nothing is quite as bad as the movie Tombsone, which had then 72-year-old Harry Carey Jr. play Marshal Fred White. The real Fred White was shot dead at the age of 31 in Tombstone, AZ.

Sounds like you're a big fan of the western genre. I think it was war movies and cop movies that killed the western. But we don't get too many of either of those genres anymore either. Natural evolution as societal tastes change I suppose.

Yep, I love a good Western. Especially John Wayne and Clint Eastwood back in the day. But, some of Clint's cop movies are good too. I really like the Dirty Harry series.

These days, Sci-Fi and Fantasy films seem to be the hot ticket. That's why I love see stuff like this come out. It's more of a novelty these days than it once was.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 04:59:02 AM »

I've not seen him in a whole lot, so I reserve judgment. Skimming through his list, The Amazing Spider-Man jumps out at me, but I only saw that once, about the time it came out on DVD.
have you not seen Chronicle? That was the first movie I saw both him and Michael B Jordan in. Excellent movie.

Though, Hollywood does some weird age things anyway. Nothing is quite as bad as the movie Tombsone, which had then 72-year-old Harry Carey Jr. play Marshal Fred White. The real Fred White was shot dead at the age of 31 in Tombstone, AZ.
I will not hear any negativity spoken about Tombstone. It is a masterpiece of the genre. Historical inaccuracies be damned!  Grin Grin

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 12:12:42 PM »

I will not hear any negativity spoken about Tombstone. It is a masterpiece of the genre. Historical inaccuracies be damned!  Grin Grin

I have it on DVD. I'm just saying the age difference is quite severe. If I remember correctly, the movie Wyatt Earp wasn't much better with his age.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 07:23:17 AM »

Billy The Kid!!! Can't wait and it looks really good.

I think an older actor playing a younger character or person is fine.  Dane DeHaan may be 32 but he sure looks like he's in his twenties to me so I'm happy with it. Heck, I'm 34 and most people think that I'm in my 20s Smiley

I don't think it's a bad thing to play a younger or older character in any movie.  It's about the acting and the portrayal beyond anything else in my opinion. 

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 07:42:32 AM »

Except when you're 72 playing a real life person who was 31. That's pushing it. Tongue

I think some people tend to underestimate just how short life was back then, especially for lawmen and outlaws.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 04:01:30 PM »

It's like people complaining about historical inaccuracies in Braveheart. My approach to any movie is to be entertained. If I want realism I will read some history books (yes, I can read!) or watch a documentary. But I know opinions vary on this. I have many friends (yes, I have friends!) like SFD who are not fans of certain changes made. By filmmakers in the name of "artistic licence".

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 10:25:27 AM »

To me, if they're going for complete historical accuracy, sure but sometimes complete accuracy is a bit boring at times.  Movie makers will add their own touch or flavors into the mix which I like.  Heck, even biopics are off and not 100% true. I doubt anything will be in the movie world.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 06:17:44 PM »

Movie makers will add their own touch or flavors into the mix which I like. 
As I said, artistic licence.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 11:36:02 PM »

Awe, c'mon, everyone loves the more boring accurate version of Tombstone, right? I mean, Kevin Costner left Tombstone to make it, so it has to be good, right? Tongue

Naw, spicing things up with some action and a loose basis for the characters isn't too bad. I'm sure this guy is going to do a good job playing Billy. They probably didn't pick him without considerable searching.

I really like the movie Chisum starring John Wayne. It's very loosely based on the events in Lincoln County New Mexico that lead to Billy's murder spree of the (corupt) law enforcement officials in Lincoln. It has several real life characters like John Chisum, Billy The Kid, Pat Garrett and William Brady in it, though they took a lot of artistic license with it. John Henry Tunstall was definitely much older than real life in that movie, he wasn't much older than Billy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: