Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Lightsaber project for 30 students  (Read 946 times)
Trixus
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: February 25, 2019, 05:20:02 PM »

Hello,

I plan on teaching a course on the Science of Star Wars in a few months to no more than 30 grade school students and as their final project I plan on having them all build their own lightsaber.  So I have two general questions I am looking to have answered.  One about cost effectiveness and the second being the difficulty of assembly.

1.  My first question is in regards to affordability (keep in mind I am looking to build up to 30 sabers).  With that being said which is the best option: (A) Buy 30 already assembled lightsabers (either the Dark Initiate v2 or Initiate V2 builds), most likely the stunt build, and then disassemble each build so that the students can assemble them themselves.  That option seems to net me $55 for each build times 30 students equating to $1650 minus taxes and shipping costs.  Or option (B) Buy the parts separate?  This option I would need more input with because I am unfamiliar with what the bare necessities for parts would include i.e. blade, hilt, LED, etc?  This option would be preferable if it was cost effective as it would save me the time of not having to disassemble 30 builds.

2.  My second question is for the difficulty of assembly.  I wouldn't necessarily want it to be extremely difficult to assemble as these will be 2nd, 3rd, and 4th graders, however, I wouldn't want it to be terribly simple to build it either (like just putting in the battery and hitting the power switch).  If I could just get the assembly to be attaching the blade, LED, and getting it to power up than I could live with that.  However, if I could get the assembly to be a bit more complicated that would be great.  For anyone who has experience it complete disassembly of their build can you give me some input?  I might need to buy my own build first and disassemble it for practice.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 09:01:43 AM »

Hi.  My suggestion is that you speak to Marlena or PrincessKnowItAll as she is fondly called on this forum.  She is a top notch Ultra Saber customer service representative who can help you.  There should be some kind of bulk discount and perhaps free shipping ( not guaranteed ).  

You didn't say how old your students are and this would affect a decision to attempt to successfully build the saber internals yourself and as a class.  A grade 2 student seems quite young to be placing electronics and wires into a narrow Initiate v2 tube.  The electronics parts would not be pre-assembled to just fit/snap into place for an empty hilt.  Since these sabers are stunt ( no sound ) it would be much easier to accomplish... but might not be such a fun event if a person's saber did not work.  

If you purchase a pre-made saber it will come with a one year warranty for normally anticipated wear and use.  There is none for a saber that you build yourself.  A part that arrives damaged or not working should be replaced after filing a claim.  Each saber requires x4 AAA batteries.  Higher quality rechargeable batteries are encouraged but an assembled saber will include some standard batteries so can be used right out of the box.

What you could think about doing to customize the sabers... is to have each participant decide if they want a silver or black anodized hilt and choose their LED blade color for the 24" blade which seats approx. 2.5" into the emitter.  This would depend upon the stock available at time of placing your order.  Also the students could use electrical tape, decorative duck tape, tennis grip wrap  or even a dremel to write their name on the saber in Aurebesh or English.  This would help give a more individual look and feel to each saber.

Here's the contact number for marlena@ultrasaberscustomerservice.com

Good luck and likely other forum members will have some other suggestions to consider.  Smiley

Trixus
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 04:03:09 PM »

Well, assuming I bought the sabers pre-assembled I don't suppose the warranty is still void if I were to disassemble the entire build and put it back together?  My youngest student would be no younger than 7.  We actually have our students build simple circuits in the 1st grade with hands on activities and I actually familiarize them with the concept in my Kindergarten classes so I am actually reasonably confident they would be okay with placing the electronics into the hilts.

Other than the electrical side how difficult would the mechanical side be to assemble?  Is it just the hilt and the blade?  Or are their other components that can be taken apart like the pommel, etc.  Also, thank you very much for your response and I will also contact Marlena.

Dauntless Seven
Lady of the Sage Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2037

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »

Hi again.  Here's another thread that will give you some idea of what is involved in what should be an easy internal build if you go the empty build and parts route.  Yes you will void the warranty if the saber internals are disassembled.

The Initiate v2 has a diameter that is smaller than all other US sabers except for the longer Aeon/Dominix v2 versions.  Basically the empty v2 hilt comes with a screw on pommel and x2 retention screws that keep the blade secured.  The switch and retention holes are pre-drilled.

Parts to order should include:

1.  plastic battery pack that houses x4 AAA batteries and attached covered/shrink wrapped wiring

2.  resistor - buck puck not required

3.  guarded switch - has the black plastic raised rim and you may need an appropriate glue to secure it into the hole.  Not sure if some kind of retaining nut can be used instead.  Note that the US ordering site says that for an empty hilt the hole for the guarded switch is sized to press fit the switch without using any retaining medium.

4.  basic LED

5.  blade - can be ordered in 24 or 32" for this shorter saber.  Length can be cut down with a pipe cutter.  Blades can be purchased in bulk.  A 28 - 30" blade has a better balance for this saber if not getting the 24" blade.  This includes factoring in the 2.5" lost in to the emitter.  Blade plugs can be made out of leftover tubing if blade will be removed from saber.  Strongly advised not to look directly into turned on LED or shine at another person without blade attached.

6.  hex wrench - each saber should have one so retention screws can be loosened and tightened to keep blade secure.

I think these are the most important parts and Marlena will advise you more.  Purchasing a pre-assembled saber with blade and then taking them apart may be the most cost effective way to go.

Sounds like a super fun project.  Ask more questions as needed and please share your project and results with the Forum.  Smiley

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=39997.msg669497#msg669497

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: