Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Curved bladed lightsabers?  (Read 6108 times)
DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 03:06:22 PM »

The problem with the darksaber is it was never meant to be a lightsaber...it was supposed to be an ancient Vibro Blade.  But Lucas did not like the idea of something other than a lightsaber going against a lightsaber...even though EP III had the magma guards using electro staffs but whatever.  But most of the initial Animation had been done so they had to come up with the Darksaber to still use the animations.  Now they have had to retroactively figure out a history and function.  I do have a theory and this is coming from someone with no science or engineering background so it may just sound like bullcrap.  Sabers are plasma contained in an electromagnetic field which seems to take the shape of the emitter.  Round hilts with round holes produce rounded blades...so maybe the flatter angled emitter creates the flat angled blade.  But again, just a dumb dumbs theory.
Yeah... I've heard about that Lucas thing before... This is sad really. Since it is the case in most video games... AND, as you said, in EP3. But whatever. That way, the Darksaber is easier to carry around than a real sword =D

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 03:48:32 PM »

Yeah... I've heard about that Lucas thing before... This is sad really. Since it is the case in most video games... AND, as you said, in EP3. But whatever. That way, the Darksaber is easier to carry around than a real sword =D

I know, I loved vibroswords and vibroblades in games... I remember the first time I faced someone wielding one while I had a lightsaber I thought "sure you clown, do you know what you're doing? Lightsaber trumps ALL punk! You are about to get messed up! I'ma cut through your little knife like butter and you with it." Then I proceeded to be horribly wrong, get stabbed and cut repeatedly, and reload my save file with a dumbfounded look on my face... I was in shock, and my arrogance/feeling of advantage in the situation proved to be my undoing when they could keep up with my strikes and parry them. Lightsaber resistant materials do break your mind at times, but dang if it can't be effective against a Jedi or Sith who is unaware or overconfident for sure. I loved echani vibroblades, and their culture... but can't cry over that spilt milk I suppose, EU lore still floats around out there. I guess nothing is ever really off the table till it is ruled so these days... Final say rests in those hands, and even then Legends will remain as what they will.

I mean it's hard to say a weapon called a Lightsaber can't bend or have a curve when light by definition does or can be made to. I mean we're talking a theoretical level of tech beyond our level of reasoning in several respects at many times. So if they can create functional plasma blade, I don't think it's impossible or multitudes harder possibly to make one curve. Although true, one could easily ask why... People do some ludicrous things with their lightsabers anyway. Part of me really loves that, some of the "innovations" are just cool. Even if some fall flat, others make kids or adults go "OH, oh that I like, I want THAT now." So it isn't all bad. Though even I now and again go "no, oh no!" The design concept with side emitters that created a cross guard were seemingly ludicrous and wild at one point, but also addresses many duelists' desire/necessity for a hand guard IRL let alone dealing with an incoming blade that can instantly take away appendages with no real force in theory. So I guess I mostly now want to see or test out the practicality of various designs now before final judgement. Since if I can shred with it, it tends to get a higher approval rating.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 07:22:58 PM »

The problem with the darksaber is it was never meant to be a lightsaber...it was supposed to be an ancient Vibro Blade.  But Lucas did not like the idea of something other than a lightsaber going against a lightsaber...even though EP III had the magma guards using electro staffs but whatever.  But most of the initial Animation had been done so they had to come up with the Darksaber to still use the animations.  Now they have had to retroactively figure out a history and function.  I do have a theory and this is coming from someone with no science or engineering background so it may just sound like bullcrap.  Sabers are plasma contained in an electromagnetic field which seems to take the shape of the emitter.  Round hilts with round holes produce rounded blades...so maybe the flatter angled emitter creates the flat angled blade.  But again, just a dumb dumbs theory.

From a Star Wars magicky perspective, that would work. However, if Logos were here he'd tell you all the reasons why that isn't how it works.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2021, 09:47:19 PM »

From a Star Wars magicky perspective, that would work. However, if Logos were here he'd tell you all the reasons why that isn't how it works.

Yea..we've gone around the bush on this subject.  The science of Star Wars I never cared about....its the mysticism.  Without the Jedi,Sith, Force I really wouldn't care about Star Wars to be honest.  That's why everyone now wanting "regular" characters to take the spotlight irks me.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 6

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2021, 10:09:56 PM »

Oh yeah the Jedi and the Force are the best parts of the series.

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish
There is no Emotion; There is Peace
There is no Ignorance; There is Knowledge
There is no Passion; There is Serenity
There is no Death; There is The FORCE

Light Side Favored.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2021, 10:56:58 PM »

Yea..we've gone around the bush on this subject.  The science of Star Wars I never cared about....its the mysticism.  Without the Jedi,Sith, Force I really wouldn't care about Star Wars to be honest.  That's why everyone now wanting "regular" characters to take the spotlight irks me.
True. I think the science isn’t exactly “hard science” either, as we don’t truly know the rules and limitations of the universe, only what has been shown to be possible, which varies from era to era and from canon to EU/legends. Maybe something hasn’t been done not because it’s impossible but because no one wanted to, or saw any need to. Until we saw the Darksaber, would we have thought that shape of lightsaber blade was possible? Or a lightwhip before it was revealed? Even in a non-saber capacity, the Star Forge’s capability vs what we saw in the canon OT movies is vastly different. We don’t know that most things are actually impossible, only that we have never seen them for whatever reason, for most things anyway, IMO. The writers could introduce anything tomorrow and it’s canon, and they can give a new explanation, expand on old info, or even just ignore or handwave away an explanation. It’s not like actual hard science. Just my $0.02 from an engineering background perspective.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2021, 11:11:39 PM »

While I like seeing stories from the POV of "normies", they really aren't terribly interesting if the Force is not somehow a part of the story, and not just in some overarching "the Force is everywhere" kinda thing, but directly influencing things. Jedi, Sith, Force Users who are neither, but have access to the Force even if they don't understand it, that is the kind of thing I want. I didn't hate Solo, but that was really its biggest issue. Star Wars has never been Science Fiction, it has always been Science Fantasy, and that is an important distinction. You can't have fantasy without magic. That being said, I'm actually really excited for the Cassian Andor show. I'm more excited for that than Ahsoka, and most the others in all honesty.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2021, 12:06:10 AM »

True. I think the science isn’t exactly “hard science” either, as we don’t truly know the rules and limitations of the universe, only what has been shown to be possible, which varies from era to era and from canon to EU/legends. Maybe something hasn’t been done not because it’s impossible but because no one wanted to, or saw any need to. Until we saw the Darksaber, would we have thought that shape of lightsaber blade was possible? Or a lightwhip before it was revealed? Even in a non-saber capacity, the Star Forge’s capability vs what we saw in the canon OT movies is vastly different. We don’t know that most things are actually impossible, only that we have never seen them for whatever reason, for most things anyway, IMO. The writers could introduce anything tomorrow and it’s canon, and they can give a new explanation, expand on old info, or even just ignore or handwave away an explanation. It’s not like actual hard science. Just my $0.02 from an engineering background perspective.

Very well said. Some great writers have really delivered in the interesting idea department for sure. That's what makes the Legends so great IMO. Not simply trying to "make a hit" or cash in on profitability, but fleshing out an amazing concept or story in a fantastic telling; that then becomes film worthy or spawns a game worth playing. Give me a game with Githany and a lightwhip and I'm saying I'll play it to see the mechanics, and go through the story. Or a dang book with backstory... but that's all for another time and topic I suppose.

I also agree with the "why focus on 'normal' people if it's SW..." mentality. To an extent yes, it's interesting seeing how normal people can still effect the story, influence the outcome (even surrounded by Titans or supremely powerful individuals) it's noteworthy at times to view their courage, bravery, sacrifice, and so on... but yes, it's the "real battle" or serious Force users that carry the day or make it more often than not intriguing. True, seeing how some droids can change the galaxy, or a "common smuggler" can change or effect change can be interesting. But the Force, and the more epic moments tend to sell it overall with the rest being subplot or side arcs, and I tend to agree it should stay that way as well. Without that it's more a SW spinoff or something.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2021, 12:32:35 AM »

Very well said. Some great writers have really delivered in the interesting idea department for sure. That's what makes the Legends so great IMO. Not simply trying to "make a hit" or cash in on profitability, but fleshing out an amazing concept or story in a fantastic telling; that then becomes film worthy or spawns a game worth playing. Give me a game with Githany and a lightwhip and I'm saying I'll play it to see the mechanics, and go through the story. Or a dang book with backstory... but that's all for another time and topic I suppose.

I also agree with the "why focus on 'normal' people if it's SW..." mentality. To an extent yes, it's interesting seeing how normal people can still effect the story, influence the outcome (even surrounded by Titans or supremely powerful individuals) it's noteworthy at times to view their courage, bravery, sacrifice, and so on... but yes, it's the "real battle" or serious Force users that carry the day or make it more often than not intriguing. True, seeing how some droids can change the galaxy, or a "common smuggler" can change or effect change can be interesting. But the Force, and the more epic moments tend to sell it overall with the rest being subplot or side arcs, and I tend to agree it should stay that way as well. Without that it's more a SW spinoff or something.
Thanks. I do suppose even a non-force user could end up playing an important role in major events through the will of the force pushing them into the right place at the right time, but they really should, and usually do, end up teaming up with, and facing off against, people who do use the force, which keeps it grounded in the Star Wars universe, and, as has been said, science fantasy, not just science fiction. It can be argued that the Mandalorians are interesting because of their conflicts with the Jedi, and their contrast to force users. It's their contrast to the Jedi and even the Sith that makes them interesting in the Star Wars universe. Same with the bounty hunters. Seeing them compete with Jedi and Sith, powerful force users, though technology, skill, and cunning. Sci-fi bounty hunters are cool, sure, but sci-fi bounty hunters fighting warrior monks is even cooler.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2021, 01:28:12 AM »

We got the Mandalorian so the creators are listening to the fans.

The old Jedi ban on marriage is unreasonable and foolish. The old dogma of both Sith and Jedi is foolish

Light Side Favored.

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2021, 06:10:04 AM »

Agreed. If you want regular characters, go watch another space opera thingy. Like Star Trek.

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Hulk10
Knight Officer

Force Outcast Juggernaut

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2021, 09:53:01 PM »

Agreed. If you want regular characters, go watch another space opera thingy. Like Star Trek.

I agree. StarWars is about the Force and Lightsabers, Jedi and Sith.

Light Side Favored.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: