Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: GOT final season  (Read 5035 times)
Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« on: March 05, 2019, 10:17:13 PM »

Winter in April .... soon  Grin

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlR4PJn8b8I&amp;app=desktop" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlR4PJn8b8I&amp;app=desktop</a>
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 11:54:56 AM by Infinit01 » Logged

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 04:43:18 AM »

I have never seen a single episode of this show, as I can't afford HBO. It looks like it's going out with a bang though.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 06:38:39 AM »

Haven't watched it and don't think that I will. Not really into it

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 07:15:04 PM »

Haven't watched it and don't think that I will. Not really into it
   Don't like Medieval Fantasy?

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 12:12:28 PM »

I like them, I'm just not one for overly hyped shows unless I've already grown up with it as a kid.  p

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 07:23:57 PM »

I like them, I'm just not one for overly hyped shows unless I've already grown up with it as a kid.  p

I think we've discussed this before, I don't see why people hyping it up should affect your want to see something.  If you like Medieval Fantasy GOT is something you would possibly like.  Its got a lot going for it:  Ancient Wights, Dragons, Swords, Emila Clarke Nude, battle scenes, Emila Clarke Nude....not to mention the caliber of actors the show has.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 12:20:10 PM »

We have, had other shows I've been watching on Netflix or Hulu since I don't watch TV that I wanted to catch up on.  GOT has yet to bet on my radar

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 07:33:25 PM »

Give it a chance when you can, I recommend it.  I actually prefer it to the books...which is rare for me.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 12:29:33 PM »

Give it a chance when you can, I recommend it.  I actually prefer it to the books...which is rare for me.

Interesting. I'm a reader as well. Will give it a try when I can and will get back to you

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 01:20:32 AM »

Here we are .... Winter is Here ... and Ep. 01 was very VERY interesting Wink

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 09:49:32 AM »

This reaction always makes me smile when fans of the show meet someone who has never seen a single episode (like me). The assumption is we don't like medieval fantasy. Does it not occur to GoT fans that maybe some of us didn't hear about the show until it was several seasons in? Or that we have never read the books? Or that it is not on a network/streaming platform that we have access to? Or that we currently have 50 other shows to watch, as well as movies, working and other general "life" stuff?

This is not directed at any person on the forum, but it is a reaction I have come across over and over again in my day-to-day life, as well as elsewhere online.

Similar to Infinit, when a show is massively popular in the mainstream, I automatically hesitant. Look at Battlestar Galactica. That show is hugely popular in the mainstream (maybe not to the same level as GoT) and hailed as one of the best sci-fi shows ever. However, after watching season 1 I realised that it was a sci-fi show for those people who aren't traditionally fans of a sci-fi. I found it lacking in several areas and never continued watching. My worry is that because the show has been so hyped up in the mainstream, it will inevitably be a let down as the bar of anticipation has been set too high.

Now, I know some people will talk about the books and the masses of lore surrounding the show, but this again goes off the assumption that that is something that appeals to everyone. It doesn't. There are some people out there who only care about the thing, not all the background, cliff notes and notes on a napkin made by the author. I'm not saying that people shouldn't like those things (my comments are never meant to convince anyone that their point of view is wrong). However, you should realise that different things appeal to in different ways to different people.

Even though I've never seen an episode, I'm pretty much know what to expect: swords, blood, violence, incest, zombies, nudity, dragons. And everyone dies. Oh, and apparently there's something called the red wedding. Maybe one day, after the show has finished and all the hype has died down, I will sit down and watch it. But for now, I'm going to catch up with some other shows I have cued up on Netflix or started and not finished (like The Originals, Dexter and Breaking Bad).

I will say this though, it seems as though they hired every English, Irish and Scottish actor and actress for the show who was isn't on the A-list (Stewart, Mckellan, Dench, Smith etc), probably to keep the budget down!  Cheesy

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »

This reaction always makes me smile when fans of the show meet someone who has never seen a single episode (like me). The assumption is we don't like medieval fantasy. Does it not occur to GoT fans that maybe some of us didn't hear about the show until it was several seasons in? Or that we have never read the books? Or that it is not on a network/streaming platform that we have access to? Or that we currently have 50 other shows to watch, as well as movies, working and other general "life" stuff?

This is not directed at any person on the forum, but it is a reaction I have come across over and over again in my day-to-day life, as well as elsewhere online.
Similar to Infinit, when a show is massively popular in the mainstream, I automatically hesitant. Look at Battlestar Galactica. That show is hugely popular in the mainstream (maybe not to the same level as GoT) and hailed as one of the best sci-fi shows ever. However, after watching season 1 I realised that it was a sci-fi show for those people who aren't traditionally fans of a sci-fi. I found it lacking in several areas and never continued watching. My worry is that because the show has been so hyped up in the mainstream, it will inevitably be a let down as the bar of anticipation has been set too high.

Now, I know some people will talk about the books and the masses of lore surrounding the show, but this again goes off the assumption that that is something that appeals to everyone. It doesn't. There are some people out there who only care about the thing, not all the background, cliff notes and notes on a napkin made by the author. I'm not saying that people shouldn't like those things (my comments are never meant to convince anyone that their point of view is wrong). However, you should realise that different things appeal to in different ways to different people.

Even though I've never seen an episode, I'm pretty much know what to expect: swords, blood, violence, incest, zombies, nudity, dragons. And everyone dies. Oh, and apparently there's something called the red wedding. Maybe one day, after the show has finished and all the hype has died down, I will sit down and watch it. But for now, I'm going to catch up with some other shows I have cued up on Netflix or started and not finished (like The Originals, Dexter and Breaking Bad).

I will say this though, it seems as though they hired every English, Irish and Scottish actor and actress for the show who was isn't on the A-list (Stewart, Mckellan, Dench, Smith etc), probably to keep the budget down!  Cheesy
I don't think anybody is assuming anything. When somebody who lives the show see somebody else say they haven't seen one episode but are not interested they are curious why. Then of course try to talk them into watching it.

I am the type that also tries to stay away from stuff that is overly hyped. You mention watching Breaking Bad, I think it was like 4 seasons in before I started watching it. I did try when it was new but couldn't get passed the first episode. Turns out the hype was legit (at least for me).

Oh and the reason they hired all this actors for GoT is location location location.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 10:43:18 AM »

I discovered the books back in 2004. Since this day, GOT is my favorite story ... I have always dreamt to see it on a big screen and when they told us they wold made a TV show, I was more than exited Tongue And today, I am still very exited Wink

I never care is a TV show, a movie or a book is mainstream or not ... When considering cultural aspect, it is only me.

But I understand people who do not like the show ...

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 10:49:50 AM »

Oh and the reason they hired all this actors for GoT is location location location.
Well that and they're all very talented. Plus, no need to hear Americans trying to do a regional English accents!  Cheesy

Why would location be an issue? Actors travel all over the world as part of their job.

I don't think anybody is assuming anything. When somebody who lives the show see somebody else say they haven't seen one episode but are not interested they are curious why. Then of course try to talk them into watching it.
Curiosity is valid. However on more than one occasion I have had different people say "Oh. So you're not a fan of medieval fantasy". That's an assumption. They didn't bother to ask me why I've never seen an episode.

I discovered the books back in 2004. Since this day, GOT is my favorite story ... I have always dreamt to see it on a big screen and when they told us they wold made a TV show, I was more than exited Tongue And today, I am still very exited Wink

I never care is a TV show, a movie or a book is mainstream or not ... When considering cultural aspect, it is only me.

But I understand people who do not like the show ...
I didn't even realise the show was based on books until about 3 years ago! You seem to love the books in the same way as others love Lord of the Rings. And that's very cool.

And, not having seen the show, I can't comment on whether I like it or not.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »

Which is why I asked.  If someone doesn't care for medieval fantasy then I fully understand why they wouldn't have interest.  I never in my life have had HBO, until Yesterday.  I Bought the DVDs is how I saw GOT.  Personally, when I start a show I finish it before moving on.  I binged Breaking Bad in 2 weeks.

Like I have said before.  No interest because you don't care for the genre?  Cool, don't watch it.  But just because it has a large passionate fan base?  That just doesn't compute to me.  But we've had this dance before.

Well that and they're all very talented. Plus, no need to hear Americans trying to do a regional English accents!  Cheesy

Why would location be an issue? Actors travel all over the world as part of their job.

Peter Dinklage is American...he seems to do alright :p  One of the good things about GOT is while "based" on Europe it is in a completely different universe so accents can sound odd without issue.

I think a better saying would be Location, Location, Cost.    Early on GOT had a minimal budget , seriously they used discount Ikea Rugs for their cloaks.  By hiring a lot of local actors they saved on budget...like Hercules and Xena.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: