Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Orange tips for cosplay guns  (Read 3422 times)
Samhain138
Dark Lord of the Menace Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -2171

Aw, crap.

« on: March 09, 2019, 12:20:51 PM »

Anyone know where I could purchase something like an orange cap to put on the end of a cosplay gun?  I want something removable so I could still use it for photo shoots?

Master Venturous
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -631

Dark Side points if you please

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 07:32:23 PM »

You could always find a bottle cap or something that fits it and spray paint it orange. That would be easier and probably quicker than finding a place that sells cosplay caps that fit the one you have.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 07:39:53 PM »

Hi Samhain,

Would a Nerf Dart work? The reason I ask is that they are foam and so wouldn't damage your barrel when inserted and the ones I've seen had an orange tip already.

Hope this helps.

Samhain138
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Aw, crap.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 07:47:13 PM »

Hi Samhain,

Would a Nerf Dart work? The reason I ask is that they are foam and so wouldn't damage your barrel when inserted and the ones I've seen had an orange tip already.

Hope this helps.

I was considering that actually.  I am planning to work with a repainted Nerf gun for now.

I wonder if that's good enough for some cons.  It's so hit and miss with this stuff at different conventions.  Some places don't care and some straight up won't even allow a toy gun inside.

When we went to Super con last year there was a bin full of different guns they wouldn't let people carry inside.  Some were obviously fake.  I guess for the bigger events I'll just leave the gun at home.  This compared to a con more local where my cousin was walking around with an incredibly realistic set of pistols, taking pictures aiming them at people's heads.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 07:53:30 PM »

Hi again,

Ah ok, this is one problem that is just beginning to affect the UK. Most toy guns now have the orange barrel caps but larger foam/resin models aren't as restricted yet.
I only have experience of my small local convention though (and even that one  has been cancelled this year  Cry  )

Samhain138
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Aw, crap.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 08:00:15 PM »

I guess I need to read up on the local laws for the events I have planned before I do anything.  Guns totally aren't my thing and this a cosplay first for me.

I recall an event I went to last year that made me take a photo without my mask on, holding it in my hands, before they'd let me go inside with it.  I guess the world's a crazy place and you can't be too careful with security.

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »

I guess I need to read up on the local laws for the events I have planned before I do anything.  Guns totally aren't my thing and this a cosplay first for me.

I recall an event I went to last year that made me take a photo without my mask on, holding it in my hands, before they'd let me go inside with it.  I guess the world's a crazy place and you can't be too careful with security.

Very true ^^
That's why I asked if I could bring in my saber to the con I go to when I bought the tickets, and I asked the Security/doormen again at the door. I even pointed out that it was a solid poly blade not extendable and the hilt was metal and their eyes just widened and they said "Yeah cool! No problem" and waved me in. For me guns would be an unknown too.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 11:53:48 PM »

I would check the local laws but I would also paint the tip orange to show that it's a prop.  Easiest way

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 12:42:44 AM »

Might sound weird but you that tape they use to mark floors? Get some orange and try. It shouldn't leave residue, but worse comes to worse, you can always do a quick touch up after...

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/WOD-Pinstriping-Tape-Splicing-Available/dp/B077Z2C8VR/ref=sr_1_17?crid=3V5IS8629PJ0Q&keywords=orange+tape&qid=1552178361&s=gateway&sprefix=orange+tape%2Caps%2C136&sr=8-17

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 12:54:07 AM »

No painting involved.  Good find, TJ

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 12:56:31 AM »

There's a picture in the reviews of a guy removing it from his car rims, and everything was kosher after.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 07:58:31 PM »

This is orange tape from Comicpalooza last summer. We didn't take the tape off but I think it would be pretty easy it edit and change it with a editing program. But it is easy, cheap, and doesn't mess up the gun.

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 04:40:21 AM »

I actually went a different route and made end caps for my Nerf pistols with 2mm craft foam painted orange. My thought process was that they would clearly designate the weapon as a toy but then I could just pop it off when a picture was taken, then pop it back on. Maybe not quite kosher according to Con rules though. Like you said Samhain, each individual Con is different (heck, even the individual security guard at the Con itself is really the one who makes the decision.) Consistency even among security at Cons is becoming a major problem these days.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »

I actually went a different route and made end caps for my Nerf pistols with 2mm craft foam painted orange. My thought process was that they would clearly designate the weapon as a toy but then I could just pop it off when a picture was taken, then pop it back on. Maybe not quite kosher according to Con rules though. Like you said Samhain, each individual Con is different (heck, even the individual security guard at the Con itself is really the one who makes the decision.) Consistency even among security at Cons is becoming a major problem these days.

You're right about security at cons nowadays. It's all about the luck of the draw when you enter, really.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: