Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Stunt lightsaber laws?  (Read 5972 times)
rpmx1000SRT
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: March 12, 2019, 06:11:53 AM »

As of recent I am a proud owner of a Dark initiate V2, and I just wanted to ask this before I get arrested... Are stunt sabers illegal to carry in public? Like in a park? I know they can be used **as** A weapon, but that's not my intention. I have a friend I'm meeting at a park and I wanted to bring my saber to show him, but I want to make sure I won't get frisked by the police for carrying it in public. I know this sounds like a silly question but I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance

-T

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 01:58:06 PM »

Hello there. It depends on where you live. I would check your local laws around things like lightsabers which quite a few cities will classify it as a weapon.  So I would check to be sure but you can always call your local PD and ask them.

Solstice Lacer
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -424

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 02:09:11 PM »

I agree, check with local officials. Something might be legal at state level but illegal in certain counties or cities. Also it might technically be illegal but your local pd might tell you it's ok. Best to check with the people who would actually be frisking you

Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters where the ragged people go, looking for the places only they would know.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 02:27:42 PM »

What they said.  :-)

If/when you call them (call the desk, btw, not 911!) make sure they understand these are not the Wal-Mart toys with the collapsible blades attached to cheap plastic flashlights.  Just to avoid any confusion.  Fortunately, in my town, they're cool.  We even had a movie night last summer where they showed The Force Awakens in the park and actually handed out hundreds of sabers.  Cheap ones, but still.  :-)   Of course, there were quite a few of us with "real" sabers on hand to make everyone else jealous....  ;-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 04:34:35 PM »

I forgot to mention to call their non-emergency number and ask as Karmack has mentioned. Thanks, Karmack!

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 02:56:24 AM »

I have no idea where you live or even some of the other people suggesting maybe you can't but I just don't see a state law making a light saber a prohibited weapon. Now I guess they're could be a city ordinance but it would be hard to write that up a certain way. Just think any law or ordinance that prohibits a light saber would also outlaw a bat. Now who would outlaw a bat at a park?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 08:35:04 PM »

I was thinking the exact same thing tx.  How could it possibly be illegal to carry essentially a really long cool flashlight?!?  Anything can used as a weapon but as long as you are not threatening or assaulting anyone it shouldn't be a problem to have fun at the park with a lightsaber.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »

I have no idea where you live or even some of the other people suggesting maybe you can't but I just don't see a state law making a light saber a prohibited weapon. Now I guess they're could be a city ordinance but it would be hard to write that up a certain way. Just think any law or ordinance that prohibits a light saber would also outlaw a bat. Now who would outlaw a bat at a park?

Good call on this one, TX

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 180

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 03:57:36 PM »

Well, if you live in Texas you can carry a long sword in public, so don't see why a lightsaber would be any different.  But, not everyone lives in Texas.  While I wouldn't see anyone getting worked up about it, I would at least contact the parks and recreation office just to make sure, or if it a community park run by an HOA, contact them.  I know that our community park that is run by the HOA does not allow bats of any kind due to the close proximity to houses.  I guess they don't want any stray baseballs or softballs hitting windows.  They also prohibit any weapons - real or fake - at all times.  I wonder where a lightsaber would fit into the equation?

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »

Well, if you live in Texas you can carry a long sword in public, so don't see why a lightsaber would be any different.  But, not everyone lives in Texas.  While I wouldn't see anyone getting worked up about it, I would at least contact the parks and recreation office just to make sure, or if it a community park run by an HOA, contact them.  I know that our community park that is run by the HOA does not allow bats of any kind due to the close proximity to houses.  I guess they don't want any stray baseballs or softballs hitting windows.  They also prohibit any weapons - real or fake - at all times.  I wonder where a lightsaber would fit into the equation?
What is the world coming to? That's totally crazy that kids can't even have Nerf gun fights in the park etc..

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 06:57:48 PM »

Just like I mentioned, it depends on the area and what their laws are. 

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 05:36:23 PM »

As everybody else said, it varies by state.  In TX, they just legalized carrying swords and spears, so things got fuzzy.

Generally, your saber wasn't designed to be a real weapon (unlike a sword).  However, states often have laws prohibiting carrying game equipment (hockey sticks, bats) for a walk, and obviously not to/from a sporting event.

That's likely the clause that would be used against somebody with a sparring sword/light saber. It's possible to be misused as a weapon, so they count it as such.  Going to/from a Jedi event in the park would arguably be proof that you're OK if argued to a jury (get a lawyer) or if stopped by cops. You'd want to explain the hobby, how cool it looks and not delve into how yours is a heavy grade sparring blade... Smiley  A lot of times, a smile and a friendly willingness to explain the hobby will go farther.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 05:46:10 PM »

As everybody else said, it varies by state.  In TX, they just legalized carrying swords and spears, so things got fuzzy.

Generally, your saber wasn't designed to be a real weapon (unlike a sword).  However, states often have laws prohibiting carrying game equipment (hockey sticks, bats) for a walk, and obviously not to/from a sporting event.

That's likely the clause that would be used against somebody with a sparring sword/light saber. It's possible to be misused as a weapon, so they count it as such.  Going to/from a Jedi event in the park would arguably be proof that you're OK if argued to a jury (get a lawyer) or if stopped by cops. You'd want to explain the hobby, how cool it looks and not delve into how yours is a heavy grade sparring blade... Smiley  A lot of times, a smile and a friendly willingness to explain the hobby will go farther.

Exactly.   The one time I was confronted I just smiled and gushed about the saber, how cool it was, and let the officer 'inspect' it.  He turned it on, swung it around a few times (it had sound, which helped) then smiled and returned it.   He did ask me for the name of the website, now that I think on it...

That was a on my way to a shoot with my daughter's company.  I decided to carry my saber "live" and swing it around on my way into the building and the officer intercepted me.  To this day I don't know if he was really concerned I might be up to something nefarious or just wanted to see the saber.  It was a campus police officer as well, so there were layers on layers of rules. 

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »

Exactly.   The one time I was confronted I just smiled and gushed about the saber, how cool it was, and let the officer 'inspect' it.  He turned it on, swung it around a few times (it had sound, which helped) then smiled and returned it.   He did ask me for the name of the website, now that I think on it...

That was a on my way to a shoot with my daughter's company.  I decided to carry my saber "live" and swing it around on my way into the building and the officer intercepted me.  To this day I don't know if he was really concerned I might be up to something nefarious or just wanted to see the saber.  It was a campus police officer as well, so there were layers on layers of rules. 
So... with idiots being everywhere these days, and with them seeming to favor the "soft" targets like schools (from kindergarten through university-level), churches, and other gathering places, would you attend your next function with the blade (and sound) active?  Or would you, perhaps, carry the hilt on your belt and the blade in your hand or strapped to a backpack?  The "active" approach makes it REALLY obvious that you're not trying to evade detection, but sometimes that in itself can draw unwanted attention.  The "inactive" approach can be seen as either being properly attentive to other people's heightened caution levels, or as trying to sneak under the proverbial radar by attempting to look as non-threatening as possible.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 07:20:33 PM »

I sense that Karmack and I share similar backgrounds in martial arts and such...

a hilt hanging from your belt should be non-threatening.  It's not weapon sized, it's looks like art, not a pipe wrench in hand and ready to whack.

a blade in bag should likewise be ignored, not considered a problem unless they think they have cause to search.  And again, a lawyer could argue that it's harmless, but you'd have to get to court.  So smile...

In contrast, a fully assembled saber, waving around, menacing, might catch attention and fear.  Thus causing a call to the cops as suspicious activity.  Note, I'm talking about walking 3 blocks to the Event from where you parked.  So during that time, appearing peaceful, non-threatening.  The blade over shoulder, not flailing would send a better message. Look harmless. Look friendly. Look like Star Wars fans and not strangers with sticks.

Now 2 people on the front lawn (ex. my house), with blades lit and and having fun, might not be a problem.  Sure, some idiot's gonna call the cops because they're jerk, but if it's you're lawn.  Both parties are smiling and nobody's hurt, the cops are gonna chuckle, ask questions and probably be the end of it.  Mileage may vary based on neighborhood and your relationship with LEOs.  Basically, I can get away with play-murder in my 'hood because I smile, explain, and help run the annual x-mas tour of lights with the police each year.

Nobody thinks anybody has a laser sword that can cut people in half. So it's mostly about where/how you're swinging it.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: