Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Marvel’s First Asian-Led Superhero Movie, ‘Shang-Chi,’ Finds Director  (Read 5820 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 03:05:07 AM »

Believe it or not, Shang-Chi and T'Challa have been the topic of discussion from fans alike for decades.  According the the Marvel Fandom Wiki, below are the Power Grids for each character.  Yes, it's a Wiki and yes people change them out anytime, however, this Power Grid ratings are from the Marvel collector cards of which I've cross referenced them to verify that they are correct. 

Power Grid
Intelligence        3
Strength        2
Speed        2
Durability        2
Energy Projection        1
Fighting Skills    7

Black Panther
Power Grid
Intelligence    5     
Strength        3
Speed        2
Durability        3
Energy Projection     3
Fighting Skills    5     

Keep in mind that Shang-Chi is based on Bruce Lee and before Bruce Lee died, there were talks about turning him into a Marvel Superhero before the whole Green Hornet movie came out.  Sadly, Lee didn't live long enough for that to happen.  I digress

Back to it, T'Challa would be another formidable fighter against Shang since he is highly trained in various martial arts as well. But just like how the comics depicts Shang, there is not many people who will rival him in hand to hand or weapon combat.  Now, he's not the strongest nor the smartest character as those aren't his strengths.  He's even bested the Iron Fist himself and although he were neck and neck, T'Challa himself called the fight and stated that Shang won due to many points within the fight.  So far, Iron Fist has been a fearsome and great fighter since he was trained by the monks that protects and train Iron Fists of the past.  It would be refreshing to see a hero that isn't just a side character and isn't shown as being weak

Don't get me wrong, I'm not biased at all, I'm going by the comics and trading cards for all of my reasoning and characters, using facts from Marvel themselves.  Black Panther and Cap are two of the strongest and best fighters in the MCU so far at least until Captain Marvel came out but she's more powerful in a cosmic way than combat even though she can hold her own. 

Shang will be a fresh and new character for the MCU and will finally be a character that I can relate to although Gemma Chan did get to play Minn-Erva but she's a Kree so that doesn't count for us Asian folks. 

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 11:28:16 AM »

Lots of great research there, but you never stated who you thought would actually win.

although Gemma Chan did get to play Minn-Erva but she's a Kree so that doesn't count for us Asian folks. 
It's same with Zoe Saldana playing Gamora.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 02:33:43 PM »

I didn't, didn't I?  I would say, although T'Challa himself would put up a good fight with or without any of his suits, ultimately, Shang would of won since he's ranked higher and has mastered more forms of martial arts and have been known to have mastered the "first form of martial arts"  beyond any human can.  Now, that doesn't mean that T'Challa lost easily.  As you can see, he's a force to be reckoned with,  He has the speed, durability beyond Shang and if he can keep those up and going, Shang would have a hard time to bring him down.  Shang's ultimate strength relies on all of his mastered forms of martial arts and not his physical strength since it's about as average for a human male for his size and age

T'Challa on the other hand has super human strength, speed, agility that's only matched by the likes of Steve Rogers, Bucky Barnes, etc. since they're all part of the super soldier program minus the King of Wakanda of course.

I'd say in a hand to hand, T'Challa would have the upper hand for half of the fight but would fail to deliver the fatal blows needed to take down Shang since Shang would see his blows coming and would block them even if he's much slower.  Shang would get the upper hand at the end and win if by just a slight margin as from all the Marvel characters, T'Challa would be the one that would be the hardest for Shang to fight, much harder than the likes of Danny Rand, Cap or any other highly skilled martial artist

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 02:46:29 PM »

LIES! I demand a recount!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 12:20:41 AM »

There is one aspect everyone is discounting.  Experience.  One of the trade offs in real life is aging...But Cap..... He's got decades (not counting being in Ice) of experience in combat over Shang added to his physical attributes.  So while I don't think it would by any means be an easy fight....Cap would ultimately win.    Bu of course it would depend on which outcome furthers the plot Tongue

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 12:46:57 AM »

Cap also has hyper intelligence, as his super soldier serum not only brings his body to the peak of human potential, but his mind as well. However, even with his serum neutralized, he's been shown to be very intelligent and posssssing an excellent tactical ability, which is also enhanced by his serum. So, basically, the serum takes what you already have and enhances it. That's why Red Skull is bat**** crazy with the enhancement of the serum, he was already crazy in the first place.

So, basically, if he could hold his own in the fight, and all signs point to yes, he should be able to out think an opponent.

But, this is all moot, as CA and Shang-Chi are likely going to be on the same side. (if CA is even still alive then)

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 01:10:36 AM »

Experience is one thing but just because you never heard of the character doesn’t mean that he has no experience. Skill and talent are still skill and talent.  Look at Irin Fist, he trained all of his life and didn’t leave Kung Lun until adulthood but still kick butt when needed.

Captain America’s great and don’t get me wrong, he’s still a formidable fighter

Power Grid
Intelligence    3
Strength    3
Speed    2
Durability    3
Energy Projection    1
Fighting Skills   6

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 01:38:23 AM »

Experience is one thing but just because you never heard of the character doesn’t mean that he has no experience. Skill and talent are still skill and talent.  Look at Irin Fist, he trained all of his life and didn’t leave Kung Lun until adulthood but still kick butt when needed.

Captain America’s great and don’t get me wrong, he’s still a formidable fighter

Power Grid
Intelligence    3
Strength    3
Speed    2
Durability    3
Energy Projection    1
Fighting Skills   6

I never said I didn't know who Shang-Chi was.... My dad had more than few of his comics (Master of Kung Fu) from the late 70s.  Nor did I say he had no experience at all.  But Cap is a 90 year old Soldier and Warrior in the Genetically Enhanced Body of a 20 year old.  Shang is, as exceptionally skilled as he is, a normal man...and a young man with barely 20 years experience in combat.  Caps Physical advantages (Strength, speed, height ), his mental (as Scifi said, his brain is just this side of a tactical computer) and his Experience give him quite the edge over Shang.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 05:10:35 PM »

Experience and size don't mean everything.  There's always someone stronger (not in all cases), faster, and better.

In the Heroes for Hire comics, Luke Cage and Cap are beaten one character rather easily.

But here comes Shang-Chi who takes him out with almost easy. This guy is skilled enough and had the gadgets to not only take out Cap and others but was unharmed during the battle. Yet Shang-Chi still holding his breath, beats him.

I'll just agree to disagree.  

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 05:37:45 PM »

Cap vs Shang-Chi...    Wow.   

That fight would go down one of two ways.   Either its very quick (and I mean maybe 20 seconds long, tops) and Shang-Chi wins due to his superior knowledge and skill levels, or the fight becomes a long, drawn-out, epic battle.   In that scenario, Steve wears him down and eventually defeats him with his superior physical attributes.

Now .. which would happen?   That depends entirely on ... the writer.  ;-)   Seriously, there are so many intangibles in any fight this kind of statistical stacking simply could not predict an outcome.  I think its saying a LOT about Shang-Chi, though, that he is a match for Cap and could go toe-to-toe with him. 

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 05:43:47 PM »

As I've said he'll lose in strength alone but if it's a fight with knowledge of the arts, he'll win

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 10:40:06 AM »

As I've said he'll lose in strength alone but if it's a fight with knowledge of the arts, he'll win
So using my knowledge of the Renaissance period, I can beat Shang-Chi? Awesome!!

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 10:58:36 AM »

Experience and size don't mean everything.  There's always someone stronger (not in all cases), faster, and better.

In the Heroes for Hire comics, Luke Cage and Cap are beaten one character rather easily.

But here comes Shang-Chi who takes him out with almost easy. This guy is skilled enough and had the gadgets to not only take out Cap and others but was unharmed during the battle. Yet Shang-Chi still holding his breath, beats him.

I'll just agree to disagree.  

Like I said before...within the context of the story the outcome will be that which will further the plot.  In one comic Superman moves a planet in the next he struggles to hold up a building.  So when doing the whole 'Who will win" I will never cite nor do I consider any times they have fought in the comics...because again it will all depend on the plot and writer.  I will go by official stats, skills etc.  Also using real world examples.  But  yea...we'll just agree to disagree then.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 11:03:21 AM »

I will go by official stats, skills etc.  Also using real world examples. 
You're bringing the real world to a comic book fight? Anyone else get Sean Connery in The Untouchables flashbacks?  Cheesy

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 11:19:36 AM »

You're bringing the real world to a comic book fight? Anyone else get Sean Connery in The Untouchables flashbacks?  Cheesy

Yes..Yes I am.  When pitting two opponents together, real or otherwise, I will use information I have.  Which includes real world similarities.  I have seen a younger man with more "Skills" (I.E. Practice in multiple disciplines) get his ass handed to him by an older fighter that had not trained in as many disciplines...but had been in way more fights.  "Beware an Old man in a young man's profession." as an old saying goes.  Cap's experience combined with his stats and skill set will always give him an edge in any fight and when those are the parameters...that's what I will go by.  For clarity this is dispassionate for my part.  I like Cap but he is no means a favorite character of mine.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: