Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Marvel’s First Asian-Led Superhero Movie, ‘Shang-Chi,’ Finds Director  (Read 5700 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 06:38:18 PM »

Okay, let's do stats

Shang-Chi
Power Grid
Intelligence        3
Strength        2
Speed        2
Durability        2
Energy Projection        1
Fighting Skills    7

Captain America
Power Grid
Intelligence    3
Strength    3
Speed    2
Durability    3
Energy Projection    1
Fighting Skills   6

Once again, Shang-Chi will win over fighting alone.  Cap will win over strength alone.  I'm going off of comic stats and what I read not on opinion alone. They're not too far off from each other; however, Shang shines in fighting over Captain America.

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 11:39:41 AM »

Okay, let's do stats

Shang-Chi
Power Grid
Intelligence        3
Strength        2
Speed        2
Durability        2
Energy Projection        1
Fighting Skills    7

Captain America
Power Grid
Intelligence    3
Strength    3
Speed    2
Durability    3
Energy Projection    1
Fighting Skills   6

Once again, Shang-Chi will win over fighting alone.  Cap will win over strength alone.  This is a comic book discussion, not sure why the real world is even brought into the mix. I'm going off of comic stats and what I read not on opinion alone.

Again....one aspect doesn't not matter as much as the whole.  I've explained my position multiple times and this conversation is going no where.  So for the sake of the thread not getting derailed I will take my leave of it.

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 06:48:04 PM »

One thing I think needs to be pointed out about the Paladin attack.   First, it was a sneak attack, launched with meticulous preparation against a target who trusted the attacker as an ally.   And the position of Cap as the primary target actually is what allowed Sheng Chi to escape notice and launch his counter-attack.  Which was then a 'turn-the-tables' kind of thing, with Paladin relaxing and thinking he'd won only to be ambushed in turn by Sheng-Chi.

Neither of these are what I would call a stand-up fight.  :-)

I'm going to say it again, because it IS a 'comic book' fight: the fight will go as it is needed to go by the author of the book.  I think its more than enough to say that these guys are in the same league.  That's saying a LOT, considering that Cap does have some 'super hero' advantages - specifically the super-soldier serum and its effects on him - and as I understand it Sheng-Chi does not.  He's just hyper-trained, like Batman.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 11:51:53 AM »

Yes..Yes I am.  When pitting two opponents together, real or otherwise, I will use information I have.  
Firstly, I was joking. Secondly, the information in regards to this "what if" scenario is about the two characters themselves. Real life should have no bearing.

I think its more than enough to say that these guys are in the same league.  That's saying a LOT, considering that Cap does have some 'super hero' advantages - specifically the super-soldier serum and its effects on him - and as I understand it Sheng-Chi does not.  He's just hyper-trained, like Batman.  :-)
That's very a true. A testament to Shang-Chi. Although, doesn't Cap's serum just take him to the peak of human abilities? So, while he may heal quickly (not Deadpool or Wolverine levels) and be strong, he's not super-human.

All in all, I think it will be a great battle no matter who wins.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 07:42:35 PM »

I think the actual effect of the super-soldier serum is open to some debate.  Cap heals very fast, can move much faster and is much stronger than a normal person.  I believe it also sped up his mental process as well, so he literally thinks faster than everyone else.  His reaction times are likewise improved.

If they're just to peak human levels, then he isn't technically "super-human" like a Wolverine or Deadpool.  But I know some have interpreted the serum's effects as super-human.  For example, he can't get drunk because of the regenerative abilities of his cells.  So he was fundamentally altered at the cellular level.  I tend to think of him as super-human for that reason.  But there's a huge gray area to wiggle in, since he is still human.  And he's not bleeding blue and firing photon bolts like Captain Marvel, for example.  :-)

So...

Lets just agree to say that Cap is the ultimate peak of human performance.  WAY beyond normal human abilities and prowess, but still human.  Scheng-Chi does not have the advantage of the serum, so his real maximums in areas of strength, speed, endurance, etc is well below Cap.  But he has wider experience and deeper knowledge of techniques as well as more actual developed skills at his disposal than even Cap, who has more application experience but a narrower skill-set so-to-speak.

At the risk of breaking the comic-book/reality barrier again, I find myself considering a sparring match between myself and my eldest daughter.  Lainey is on the cusp of testing for her 3rd degree, I am only six months past my own 2nd degree test.  She is in better shape overall than I am and she has a much wider training base, having trained extensively in Ju-Jitsu and Wang Chung as well as Jeet Su Do in addition to our "native" karate.   I have some cross-training with Ju-Jitsu and Krav Maga. 

But Lainey is 5'2" and weighs maybe 140lbs.   I am 6'4" and weigh 385lbs with the muscle to back it up.   What does a fight between us look like?   Lainey dances around me raining techniques, and I block and wait for an opening.  She scores a few hits ... and then I knock her down.  If she comes in close, I hammer her.   If she back out, I can catch her with kicks if I pick my spot.

She can win if she's very lucky.    It has happened once.  By one point.   Usually I win 10-3 or 10-4.   The one time we tried a full contact bout (her idea) she ended up on her butt outside the ring after a front-snap kick to the chest 3 seconds after the "Go" was called.   That was considered a TKO.

If we want to think of this "realistically" Cap would be in a similar position with Sheng-Chi.   Stronger, faster, tougher, "heavier", able to deliver and take far more punishment, and able to THINK faster. 

Sheng-Chi would have to be simply amazing just to stay in shouting distance. 

So...

In the comics?   Circumstances would dictate, but he's got a great shot and has a 50/50 chance.
Stats?  Same.  If he can make Cap fight his fight, he wins.  If he fights Cap's fight, he loses.
In an MCU-style "realistic" matchup?   He's toast. Not hopeless, but at a definite disadvantage.

But, assuming Sheng-Chi knows the fight is coming ... he would be able to plan for it, so ...
Yeah, back to near parity, but edge to Cap.

Actual winner?  Well, that's going to be decided by the margins.  They're just to well matched.  Everything being even?   I still give Cap a slight edge.   He stays alive and outlasts Sheng-Chi, wearing him down physically until his superior strength and endurance prove decisive.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »

I would consider Cap to be "enhanced" rather than "Super" or "Human". Somewhere in between the two.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 09:07:15 PM »

But, assuming Sheng-Chi knows the fight is coming ... he would be able to plan for it, so ...
*Cue training montage*
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFrMLRQIT_k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFrMLRQIT_k</a>

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: