Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: Marvel’s First Asian-Led Superhero Movie, ‘Shang-Chi,’ Finds Director  (Read 5698 times)
Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« on: March 14, 2019, 01:13:01 PM »

Marvel Studios has hired Destin Daniel Cretton to direct “Shang-Chi,” its first superhero movie with an Asian protagonist.

Cretton is currently directing “Just Mercy,” starring Brie Larson and Michael B. Jordan. Dave Callaham is writing the script that will ultimately modernize the Shang-Chi story and character arc.

The original Marvel Comics Shang-Chi features Shang, a half-Chinese, half-American superhero created by writer Steve Englehart and artist Jim Starlin. In the comics, Shang-Chi is a master of numerous unarmed and weaponry-based wushu styles, including the use of the gun, nunchaku, and jian. Shang-Chi first appeared in Special Marvel Edition #15 in 1973.

Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige is producing the film. Marvel’s Louis D’Esposito, Victoria Alonso, and Jonathan Schwartz are executive producers on the project.

Marvel recently released its first female-led movie, “Captain Marvel,” which has over-performed with more than $500 million in worldwide grosses in less than a week. It stars Larson, who collaborated with Cretton on 2013’s “Short Term 12” and 2017’s “The Glass Castle.”

In addition to Jordan and Larson, Cretton already has other ties to fellow filmmakers in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. He previously worked with “Black Panther” director Ryan Coogler, with whom Cretton developed the television series “Scenes for Minors.”

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:45:18 PM »

Don't think I have ever read one if the comics, but sounds pretty cool.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 03:37:52 PM »

I don't know the character but I love martial arts movies, so I'm game. It's good that they're bringing more diversity into the MCU.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:48:01 PM »

It's good that they're bringing more diversity into the MCU.
Have a point for this.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 12:27:57 AM »

Thank you, fellas. It means a lot to see a hero in the MCU that looks like me that isn't a doctor, IT, or owner of a cleaners or Asian restaurant.  

For those that aren't familiar with the character or the series, here's a write up that I posted for him back in December

Shang-Chi is a Chinese assassin who was raised and trained by his father, the immortal crimelord and sorcerer, Fu Manchu aka Zheng Zu who tried many times to take over the world with mind control chemicals and other means.  He's very diverse in various forms of martial arts and is much deadlier than Iron Fist and Black widow.  From the Marvel Power Grid of character powers, his is as follows:

Intelligence: 3
Strength: 2
Speed: 2
Durability: 2
Energy Projection: 1
Fighting Skills: 7

Iron Fist and Black Widow are rated at 6 for each in regards to fighting skill but their durability are a bit higher than Shang at 3 versus his 2.

Shang has beaten the world's best and skilled martial artists simultaneously along with super humans alike.  His great strength and chi allows him to strike his opponent with inhuman force giving him the ability to break through barriers that characters like Hulk or Luke Cage can only break like brick, concrete and iron and able to withstand physical impacts almost to a superhuman level. I know, I know, he sounds like Bruce Lee, but wait!!!! There's more!!!!!

He's a skilled gymnast, trains under the most rigorous physical training exercises, reacting fast enough to dodge gunfire and catch weapons being thrown at him.  Speaking of weapons, he's highly proficient with all martial arts weaponry such as the jian (Chinese double edged sword), butterfly swords, oxtail swords, staves, Katana, and both single and double nunchaku.  He also uses make shifts weapon or anything around his environment.

Shang can control his nervous system on demand to deaden his body to pain, resist the effects of drugs or poisons, limit the spread of toxins in his blood stream, and even slow down his bleed rate if he suffers a wound during combat.  He can do all of this while still engaging his enemy or opponent

He knows and locates different pressure points on a person's body to incapacitate, paralyze, severely injure, or kill a person.

Back to his history, Shang's father's arch enemy, Denis Nayland Smith who started life in Britain as a police commissioner but eventually joined MI-6 after crossing paths with Fu Manchu and stopping his world taking schemes.  He was knighted but was crippled by Fu Manchu who had his legs crushed.

Years after his retirement due to his "injuries", he meets Fu Manchu's son, Shang-Chi after Shang slayed Dr. Petrie during a mission.  Smith told Shang the truth about his father and convinced him to join MI-6 to fight against his father.  Shang eventually convinced Smith that his paralysis was psychosomatic and Smith was able to walk again.  This goes back to Fu Manchu's mind control schemes.

Shang-Chi has teamed up with Luge Cage, Iron Fist, Misty and Collen in the Heroes for hire series.

He's also joined the Avengers after the Avengers vs. X-Men event when Captain America and Iron Man wanted to build a new bigger and stronger Avengers team.  Shang was one of the first to be selected for this new team.  Of course, Tony being Tony, he took advantage of Shang's hand-to-hand combat expertise and equipped him with his own personalized equipment

Shang has also fought along side Wolverine, SHIELD, Silver Sable, Immortal Weapons (Iron Fist, Steel Serpent, Prince of Orphans, Tiger's Beautiful Daughter, Dog Brother, Crane Champion, Iron Fist (Orson Randall), Bride of Nine Spiders, Tiger Empress) , Defenders, Shadow Council, The Secret Avengers, and a few more.

You're probably wondering why I know so much about this character but in all fairness, I know a lot about most characters, the most popular to the not so popular but when I first saw his series in the comic book store, I knew that I had to learn more about Shang-Chi.  And it's not just because that in some of the front covers, Shang looked like Bruce Lee.   Wink

Being a Marvel comic book reader, card collector, and anything that I could get my hands on as a kid growing up where comics where a luxury to me.  I hardly saw any Asian heroes like Iron Man, Wolverine, or even Batman and Superman.  I would imagine that I was them just like everyone else but and Asian version.  When Bruce Lee became the Green Hornet or Jet Li's Black Mask, I was psyched since it was the first time I saw Asian super heroes as a kid.  Sure, one of the first Black superhero movie just came out and there's no taking that away from my black brothers and sisters.  It's just that there have been more Black heroes whether they're "side kicks", supporting characters, or main heroes, there have always been more heroes of other colors than Asians.

I know, for the longest time, society views Asians as "small and weak" and it's now time to get us out of the norm.  Many movies, books, comics, and races replicate us, get into our culture, traditions and even way of life and religions.  But for the most part, society and Hollywood never viewed us as any hero type.

This comic series gave me a lot of hope as a kid and is one of a few reasons why I work out and joined the Marines since it gave me a sense of strength giving me the feeling that I can do what anyone else can.

Points to everyone Smiley

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 09:57:48 AM »

Who would win in a hand-to-hand fight: Shang-Chi or Captain America?🤔

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 07:35:21 AM »

It all depends and keep in mind that Shang-Chi was inspired by Bruce Lee. In fact, he even looks like him in the comics.

Cap can lift 800 LBs effortlessly due to the super soldier serum so he’s much stronger than Shang; however, on the power rating, Shang is 7 out of 7 for fighting while Cap is 6 out of 7. Cap doesn’t lose much but he has before and if he doesn’t use his shield, he’ll have a disadvantage against Shang who is a Master of Many Martial Arts. Rogers is at peak human durability, peak human strength which is beyond any human, peak stamina, and a healing factor that almost rivals Deadpool. Long term fights with Steve and he would have the advantage since he doesn’t tire out like most humans. His super human speed is another thing to pay attention to and although his speed matches with Shang, it’s hard to argue that he would be slower after a long fight since again, he doesn’t tire easily.

Shang is strong for a man his age , being able to lift 350 LBs but with use of his Chi, he can temporarily increase hi strength which comes to his advatge during a fight.  His great strength and chi (qi) allows him to strike with inhuman force enabling him to break through barriers such as brick, concrete and iron, withstand physical impacts almost to a superhuman degree, and ease all forms of pain and discomfort. Shang has stalemated Iron Fist in single combat, with the two martial artists portrayed as equals while Black Panther stated Shang-Chi is better than Rand. For T’Challa to say this about someone else, is a great feat since the King himself is a great martial artist and only have a few rivals. Shang is also highly skilled with all hand combat weapons like swords, nunchaku, and shriyukens but is also a deadly marksmen. Stark designed a special nunchakus that has a repulser blast which can discharge when the weapon contacts and enemy

All and all, the fight would be close if it’s hand to hand only and while Steve has the upper hand when it’s coming to having the strength, stamina, healing factor, and durability, Shang has the speed, agility, and fighting skills that will rival The Iron Fist and the Black Panther

I say Shang but if the fight lasts much longer, Steve

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »

Hasn't Cap mastered several fighting styles too? Could have sworn I read that somewhere and he combined them into a unique combat style. (Although  I could be wrong). He's definitely more than just the shield.

That being said, I agree with you. Shang-Chi for the win unless the fight doesn't  end  quickly. Then thanks to Cap's will/heart/durability he wins.

Next up: Shang-Chi vs T'Challa (without his suit).

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 06:16:53 PM »

Cap has mastered several martial arts and made his own. Shang-Chi is a Grand Master of Kung Fu but also mastered all forms of Asian Martial arts and use a combination of them all as his own as well.

Give me a bit to get back to you on Shang versus Black Panther.  It's a really good one since they're both great martial artists and T'Challa is a force to be reckoned with

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »

Cap has mastered several martial arts and made his own.
Hasn't Cap mixed in other fighting disciplines too like boxing, judo etc?

Give me a bit to get back to you on Shang versus Black Panther.  It's a really good one since they're both great martial artists and T'Challa is a force to be reckoned with
Indeed. And I had to stipulate "without the suit" before someone chimed in about the invulnerabilities of vibranium blsh blsh blah

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 06:39:15 PM »

Hasn't Cap mixed in other fighting disciplines too like boxing, judo etc?

Yes, Judo and boxing are his two primaries

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 06:46:25 PM »

Yes, Judo and boxing are his two primaries
For those who are interested:

Captain America is said to be a master of every form of martial art, but confirmed to be a master in at least 50. However, It is well known that Captain America has a go to unique fighting style, which is mainly based around his shield and combinations of Judo and American-style boxing.

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 07:59:26 PM »

Well, in a fight between Cap and Batman, they tied, and Batman has said that he ultimately thinks Cap could beat him. Whether or not Shang-Chi is better than Batman, I have no idea, seeing as the extent of my knowledge of the character comes from what Infinit has told us. I think Cap could win, but I also think Shang-Chi could win. It would be a good fight for sure.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 08:09:40 PM »

Well, in a fight between Cap and Batman, they tied, and Batman has said that he ultimately thinks Cap could beat him. Whether or not Shang-Chi is better than Batman, I have no idea, seeing as the extent of my knowledge of the character comes from what Infinit has told us. I think Cap could win, but I also think Shang-Chi could win. It would be a good fight for sure.
From the interwebs:

Batman has proper training in every martial art in the world, according to comics, but he relies heavily on his own style, Keysi. This style is a synthesis of all he has learned, and is considered as brutal a martial art as Krav Maga or MMA.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 10:27:17 PM »

There are a few better martial artists in the DC Universe than Batman, including Lady Shiva. Batman won't even tangle with Shiva unless he absolutely has to, because he knows she's so powerful. But, yes, Batman is considered to be one of the best in the DC Universe. However, if Shang-Chi is as good as Infinit says (not doubting you, bro) it might be really interesting to pit him against Lady Shiva. It sounds like she might be on his level more than Batman is.

Oh, and Batman defeated Captain America on Death Battle. While not definitive and people often question their conclusions, they do gauge a character's powers and abilities going all through the characters' histories to try and determine who would win. I believe in terms of fighting Batman and CA were pretty evenly matched in that battle, but Batman got him in the end with his gadgets. In a fair fight without his gadgets, it's harder to say who might win.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: