Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: The Ginormous Reaper.  (Read 1049 times)
ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« on: March 17, 2019, 05:55:09 AM »

Aesthetically speaking, my favorite saber is the Reaper, I love angled emitters, windows, and leather wraps. It has two of the three, and the third is  simple fix.

However, boy is that thing MASSIVE. I mean REALLY? Is it designed for Chewbacca? I don't believe that would be comfortable to wield, and I think it would look quite awkward in my grasp. I can grip an Initiate V2, comfortably, two handed. Perhaps the Reaper isn't for me. Is my assessment wrong? Perhaps I'm focusing too much on the size of the thing?

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 06:00:17 AM »

Dang, I never realized that thing was 15" from emitter to pommel before. (it doesn't seem that big in the video) Almost 20" with both claws. It's a huge beast for sure. Still, it's a really gorgeous hilt. Also, girth wise, it shouldn't be any worse than a Standard Issue.

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 11:02:59 PM »

It's deceptively big cause of the claws.  Without those it is pretty much the exact same length as a DSI and slightly smaller in diameter actually.  I'm 5'8" and consider myself to have medium size hands and have dueled with it just fine (taking the claws off of course).  In terms of comfort, it is very comfortable, but really is a two handed saber especially when dueling.  Here is a pic for size perspective:

However if you are used to using 2 hands on an initiate V2 ?!?! yeah it may be a steep curve to get used to the larger size of the reaper.

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 06:24:22 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy one, but probably only as a shelf queen. I would probably not dual with it, and I doubt I'd cosplay with it or anything. Some of you taller/larger guys, it'd probably be fine, and look good. I just think me being a 5'7" "slimish" woman, it'd go one of two ways, either it'd look super BAMF, or perhaps more likely, really chunky and awkward, especially if I lose the weight I'm aiming to.

I'm sure it would feel fine from a girth standpoint, it isn't that thick.

It's deceptively big cause of the claws.  Without those it is pretty much the exact same length as a DSI and slightly smaller in diameter actually.  I'm 5'8" and consider myself to have medium size hands and have dueled with it just fine (taking the claws off of course).  In terms of comfort, it is very comfortable, but really is a two handed saber especially when dueling.  Here is a pic for size perspective:

However if you are used to using 2 hands on an initiate V2 ?!?! yeah it may be a steep curve to get used to the larger size of the reaper.

Even without the claws.... it's big. 15" without the claws, is US specs.

(Sig by me!)

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 08:33:35 AM »

The emitter is a couple inches long so it makes it seem longer. If you look at the hilt where you hold it starts at the base of the hand guard, fun the base of the hand guard to the top of the emitter without the claw is a few inches. So overall it isn't a huge saber that the numbers make it out to be. Plus it isn't a heavy saber either, it feels pretty light in the hand (the Prophecy feels heavier). The only problem with welding it is the bottom claw. With the way it curves out instead of in I hooked my arm with it a few times before I changed the pommel. But you can also take it off without removing the pommel.

I think you would be just fine with it.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 12:05:05 PM »

I'm not a tall person by any means, however, I  do have good sized hands.  I find that I can wield the Reaper best by simply removing the bottom claw. Then it becomes a one handed saber for me. I do still have plenty of room to use two hands if I want to.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »

TCSS now offers a angled extension so you can always oder that for an Initiate and maybe a 2 to 4 inch extension to add after the angled piece paired

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 03:58:36 PM »

The emitter is a couple inches long so it makes it seem longer. If you look at the hilt where you hold it starts at the base of the hand guard, fun the base of the hand guard to the top of the emitter without the claw is a few inches. So overall it isn't a huge saber that the numbers make it out to be. Plus it isn't a heavy saber either, it feels pretty light in the hand (the Prophecy feels heavier). The only problem with welding it is the bottom claw. With the way it curves out instead of in I hooked my arm with it a few times before I changed the pommel. But you can also take it off without removing the pommel.

I think you would be just fine with it.

Okay, so the pommel and emitter are a good chunk of that length... I would be open to changing the pommel out completely, for something flatter. That should take a good inch or two off.

Actually removing the shroud would take a lot of length off. I can definitely do without that part.

(Sig by me!)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 01:59:37 PM »

Aesthetically speaking, my favorite saber is the Reaper, I love angled emitters, windows, and leather wraps. It has two of the three, and the third is  simple fix.

However, boy is that thing MASSIVE. I mean REALLY? Is it designed for Chewbacca? I don't believe that would be comfortable to wield, and I think it would look quite awkward in my grasp. I can grip an Initiate V2, comfortably, two handed. Perhaps the Reaper isn't for me. Is my assessment wrong? Perhaps I'm focusing too much on the size of the thing?
Agreed. When viewing images of it standing alone, it looks slender. But when you actually get to hold it, it's massive.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

James Casey
Forum Watchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1510

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 02:08:51 PM »

I can say, as someone who owns three of them, that the Reaper is an absolute blast to duel with.

It is long, no question, and the claws make it a little different to duel with. However, I like that - I prefer a slightly longer hilt and shorter blade, so the Reaper, Bane and Bellicose are all big favourites of mine.

The Reaper's a fairly slender hilt and the collar is a great point to hold onto when wielding it. You may find that the tail claw throws you off slightly - it protrudes more than the emitter claw, and is more likely to snag a loose bit of clothing, say. However, I can only recommend them on my own experience.

"I'll split this world open and tear down the sky before I let him come to even the slightest harm."

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 02:21:09 PM »

James, those are great points.   I have also seen many examples of Reapers with swapped pommels, or with the tail claw simply removed, probably for that very reason.  :-)  I saw one with a Spectre pommel not to long ago, it looked sweet.  And a longer hilt can have dueling advantages in speed and leverage.  I have been using an Initiate V4 with an added TCSS extention to duel recently.   Swings a mean 36" blade and having your hands a few inches apart on the hilt adds SO much leverage and quickness!  Longer hilts are definitely good for two-handed styles.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 10:48:47 PM »

Here are some pictures of my Reaper next to some other sabers to show the grip length and next two a couple big hilts (girth wise). I put the original emitter and pommel on for the length pictures just so you can see how much of that 15 inch bolt you don't really use. Just in case the last picture dissent do it justice the Reaper feels much smaller (girth wise) in the hand than the others shown and is very much lighter in weight.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 06:09:05 AM »

I think for me, removing the silver piece and and adding a lower profile pommel will be the thing to do. I like it better with the swapped pommels I'm seeing, that should make it a more manageable and visually appealing length. I tend to use a one handed grip more often than a two handed one, more Makashi than Djem So.

(Sig by me!)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: