Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Poll
Question: What music genres do you like?  (Voting closed: March 31, 2019, 06:40:11 PM)
Rock - 11 (17.5%)
Pop - 3 (4.8%)
Soul/Motown - 3 (4.8%)
Funk - 4 (6.3%)
RnB/Hip-Hop/Rap - 3 (4.8%)
Dance/EDM/House - 4 (6.3%)
Classical - 7 (11.1%)
Jazz - 6 (9.5%)
Country - 5 (7.9%)
Heavy Metal - 6 (9.5%)
Indie - 5 (7.9%)
Other - 6 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: MUSIC POLL: What Kind of Music Do You Like?  (Read 5807 times)
Master Seblaise
Resident Master
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 838

Avatar from the DarthScrub's factory

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 12:42:43 PM »

Almost everything Smiley

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

For other free words of wisdom, dial 555-YODA

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 08:36:37 PM »

I like interesting music.  Genre isn't as important as long as it is engaging and complex.  And balanced.  Not all one element.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 09:01:47 PM »

My wife text me today that this is her new jam. Listened to it and it's not bad, reminds me of a Bruno Mars type funk. But I'm not crazy any her voice.

http://youtu.be/XaCrQL_8eMY

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Darth Calon
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -480

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 03:26:00 PM »

Used to be rock. These days I primarily listen to rap. Some country and alternative sprinkled in.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2792

Grey Assassin

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 03:57:36 PM »

My wife text me today that this is her new jam. Listened to it and it's not bad, reminds me of a Bruno Mars type funk. But I'm not crazy any her voice.

http://youtu.be/XaCrQL_8eMY

Good find, TX. I like your wife's taste in music

Used to be rock. These days I primarily listen to rap. Some country and alternative sprinkled in.

Point for diversity

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 04:16:10 PM »

For me it depends on my mood. Out of the genres included on the poll I voted for everything except heavy metal and country. They have just never appealed to me. However, of all the others on there they all have there place in my life. Sometimes if I just want something playing in the background, sometimes I want something to get me in a party mood before I'm heading out, sometimes I just want something to sing along to in my room/in the shower.

I have always said that music comes in two types; good and bad. And that can be applied to every genre. Now what I think is "good" or "bad" may differ to others. Or there may be some crossover. However when I was first really discovering music (aged 12 - 16) I gave pretty much everything a chance. I never dismissed any song because it came from a particular genre. Which is why as an adult (and I use that word loosely  Cheesy ) my taste is very broad and some would say eclectic.

One of the things I miss doing is DJing at my friend's bar on the weekends, as it indulged my passion for all the genres I liked. The crowd trusted in my selection and even those who may "only like rock" soon were dancing to house or RnB or whatever else I played. Because I selected and mixed songs in a such a way as to create a positive and fun atmosphere. Plus, alcohol helped too!  Grin

These days, since I stopped DJing, I don't follow chart music as much as I used to. Most genres these days I find are producing uninspiring music. There is very little that will stand the test of time and have people still listening in 20, 30, 40 years time, unlike a lot of artists/songs from the the golden age of music (1967-1974) and the silver age of music (1980 - 1988) or even the golden era for RnB (1994 - 1999).

To me, the golden age and silver age I just mentioned were the two periods in music history that were the most creative and innovative. All the artists that we consider legends in the industry gave us songs and albums that have stood the test of time. Across all genres, whether that was rock, soul, motown, disco, house in the eighties, reggae, pop. The current state of the music industry is down to the music industry itself be too greedy and not wanting longevity for artists and their careers. They want short term success targeted at specific demographics, rather than making good music that will resonate with multiple generations.

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 04:23:47 PM »

I listen to just about everything but country. I like some metal but not too crazy, I can't listen to death metal, too throaty for me.  I'm the same way though, it's all dependent on my mood or what I'm doing. 

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 809

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 06:23:22 PM »

Alternative/Indie doesn't seem to have the "uninspired" issue. Metal maybe, to the untrained ear, since most non-listeners tend to think it all sounds the same....Cheesy

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 06:34:24 PM »

It's funny that I prefer my music more rhythmical and without chaos. But then there's jazz, which can be very chaotic and yet I can find the beauty in that chaos. Although I may be biased as I used to play saxophone in a jazz funk band back in uni.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2773

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 06:36:24 PM »

It's funny that I prefer my music more rhythmical and without chaos. But then there's jazz, which can be very chaotic and yet I can find the beauty in that chaos. Although I may be biased as I used to play saxophone in a jazz funk band back in uni.
I think it depends on the type of jazz. Look up When I get Low, I get High on YT. Awesome. But there are some jazz forms that just don't seem to have any coherence.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 06:37:41 PM »

One of my favorite bands is MGMT, which is basically "electronic chaos rock," and that's one of my favorite things about them. lol

(Sig by me!)

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 06:38:29 PM »

But there are some jazz forms that just don't seem to have any coherence.
You just need to listen more. The coherence is there daddio.

Oh, and Ella Fitzgerald is ALWAYS a win

One of my favorite bands is MGMT, which is basically "electronic chaos rock," and that's one of my favorite things about them. lol
I think upbringing has a major influence on music taste too. My dad is from Jamaica, my mum is from Trinidad. So I grew up listening to a lot of reggae, calypso, soul and motown in my younger years. So I was programmed to like a certain amount of smoothness and sexiness in my music! 😎🤣

Infinit01
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Grey Assassin

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 07:07:43 PM »

Electronic Chaos Rock?  Interesting

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 12:14:43 PM »

Electronic Chaos Rock?  Interesting

I've posted them in the "Whatchya Listening TO" thread, you can look them up on YouTube, highly recommended.

(Sig by me!)

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 07:25:23 PM »

What is Electronic Chaos Rock? I'm listening to MGMT Electric Feel right now and it sounds likea modern 80s pop rock to me. LOL on fact the next video to play was Weezer's remake of African. Seems like YouTube address with me.

What kind of music is Panic! At The Disco considered? I call it Pop Rock. My whole family love Panic, we have seen them in concert 3 times in the last 3 years. He puts on a hell of a concert!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: