Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: MICROSOFT LAUNCHING DISC LESS CONSOLE  (Read 4847 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 05:08:27 AM »

I think in terms of making gaming accessible for the masses this will be viewed as a good idea. I have friends that would like to get into gaming but can't because a PS4/Xbox is quite expensive. If no disc drive makes it cheaper to buy then it will get more people into gaming. This console won't be aimed at those of us who already have consoles. And, as much as I hate to admit it, there are a lot of people out there who watch movies via streaming rather than on bluray.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 06:12:24 AM »

It's true, a guy who used to work where I work didn't see the point in owning discs since the introduction of streaming. And, it's not just young people, that dude is in his sixties.

As Knox said, some of us clearly aren't the market for a console like this, but the market is there. Though, Google also isn't the first company to try this, and none of the others have been successful. But, most lack that coveted AAA game support. If Google can really get publishers on board with AAA games, that could be the difference maker.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 02:16:48 PM »

What's AAA game support?

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 10:03:49 PM »

"AAA game" is the common gaming nomenclature for the big studio releases. IE: Battlefield series, Final Fantasy, etc. Basically, anything by a big studio that's going to be a massive release, and that $60 (USD) minimum price tag at launch.

Consoles that have tried this sort of thing in the past haven't offered those type of games. (looking at you, Ouya) They've mostly been streaming boxes for Android games and apps, not your big console and PC releases. While that sort of thing does appeal to some people, it's the AAA games that really sell a platform. Sure, indie games are great, sometimes I like them better than the big studio games, but you're not selling consoles if all you're offering are indie games, especially since many of those wind up ported to everything else anyway, or are easily available for PC on Steam and GOG.

One thing that's nice about Microsoft doing this console based on the existing One S platform is that the One S already takes hard drives easily. I have a Seagate 1TB USB drive that I bought at Walmart (ironically, to transfer my stuff to when I upgraded my PS4 HD) and all I had to do was hook it up to one of the One S's USB ports, format it, and it was ready to install games to. So, at least there's that. You can download your games locally with the One S.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 10:27:43 PM »

"AAA game" is the common gaming nomenclature for the big studio releases. IE: Battlefield series, Final Fantasy, etc. Basically, anything by a big studio that's going to be a massive release, and that $60 (USD) minimum price tag at launch.

Consoles that have tried this sort of thing in the past haven't offered those type of games. (looking at you, Ouya) They've mostly been streaming boxes for Android games and apps, not your big console and PC releases. While that sort of thing does appeal to some people, it's the AAA games that really sell a platform. Sure, indie games are great, sometimes I like them better than the big studio games, but you're not selling consoles if all you're offering are indie games, especially since many of those wind up ported to everything else anyway, or are easily available for PC on Steam and GOG.

One thing that's nice about Microsoft doing this console based on the existing One S platform is that the One S already takes hard drives easily. I have a Seagate 1TB USB drive that I bought at Walmart (ironically, to transfer my stuff to when I upgraded my PS4 HD) and all I had to do was hook it up to one of the One S's USB ports, format it, and it was ready to install games to. So, at least there's that. You can download your games locally with the One S.

Seriously though, that's good information to know. I know there have been some people on youtube who think that disc less console and Google Stadia will mean games studios will stop producing console specific games in order to get a wider audience. However, I think they under-estimate the part time gamer market. It is entirely possible to have and appeal to different demographics within the gamer marker. Not every gamer wants the same thing.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 10:46:09 PM »

There are already digital console exclusive games. Roll Eyes I have some, both for the XBOX 360/One, and for the PS4. Hydro Thunder Hurricane and Afterburner Climax for the 360/One (I don't think Afterburner works on the One) and Resogun and Shadow of the Beast for the PS4. All of those are digital games, and they're console exclusives. (not AAA games, but exclusives nonetheless) Just because they're not releasing discs doesn't mean they're going to stop releasing exclusives. Hell, I bought Spider-Man for the PS4 digitally. That just means I got it quicker, plus I think it was on sale in the PS4 digital store.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 10:53:26 PM »

Look at Netflix and the upcoming streaming wars. Rather than let Netflix make all the money studios and tv networks have decided to get their own piece of the pie by launching their own streaming platform. It's the same with game studios. Console specific games will always be a thing, whether it be on disc or digital.

Lord Vaalic
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 7

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 06:49:13 PM »

I still prefer a disc, but I am a crusty old fuddy duddy.

If its digital only I hope there is a hell of a hard drive in it

There is no light side, there is no dark side. There is only the force. Jedi and Sith are two sides of the same coin. One paralyzed by fear of emotion, and one ruled and destroyed by it.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: