Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: EVERYTHING GREAT ABOUT: SPIDERMAN - INTO THE SPIDERVERSE  (Read 2457 times)
Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 11:04:38 AM »

Miles...unpopular?  Since when?  
If you know the channel, you will know the guy is not one for making statements purely for the sake of views. He is ridiculously positive, even in regards to some notoriously bad movies (you should check out his videos on the Star Wars prequels. He makes some good points about why there is actually some good in them).

It is true that there are some people out there who hate Miles for two reasons. 1st) Because he's not Peter Parker. 2nd) Because of his ethnic background. I think we can all agree that thee are two stupid reasons not to like a character. But it happens. Fortunately, it is a vocal minority, so has no bearing on anything. These are the same people who say that the Ghostbusters cannot be women, that Thor should always be a man and that anything apart from the original trilogy in Star Wars has ruined the franchise. They obviously like the status quo the way it is and do not like change or people trying something new. Yes, trying something new may fail, but that's no reason not to try.

Even though Miles is very popular amongst a lot of fans, there are still those who do not like the character. Which is fine. Just leaves more awesome for the rest of us.

scifidude79
8-bit Defender of the Aeon Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2106

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 06:26:45 AM »

Some people just take these fictional characters way too seriously. We're not talking about historical figures here, they can look like whatever or whoever someone wants them to. They aren't real. Also, it's not like Miles replaced Peter Parker in the Earth-616 universe, he's from the Earth-1610 Universe, it's a totally different reality. Peter Parker still exists in Earth-616. But, I digress. People will like or dislike something simply because they can, and that's all there is to it.

Judging simply from Into the Spider-Verse, I like Miles. I think he's a great addition to the Marvel Multiverse. I applaud Sony for making the decision to center a film around him, rather than yet another Peter Parker film.

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 01:55:06 PM »

Some people just take these fictional characters way too seriously. We're not talking about historical figures here, they can look like whatever or whoever someone wants them to. They aren't real.
This has always been my argument when discussing casting options with people. My opinion has always been cast the best actor you can in the role. Thanks to wigs/hair dye, wardrobe and a good personal trainer, anyone can be made to "look" like the character. What is more important is if they can capture the essence of the character. Plus, as you say, these characters are not real. So no actor actually "looks" like the character. Take Bruce Wayne for instance. The way he looks in the comics changes slightly depending on the artist who is drawing him. But he remains a fictional character.

I suppose I understand why people take these characters too seriously sometimes. We grow up using them as a form of escapism and entertainment. We are drawn to them as we feel a connection with them and through this connection we can feel like we're a superhero too. So any criticism of a character we love can almost feel like a personal attack.

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 06:47:22 PM »

The Post Credit scene with Spidey 2099 jumping into the 60s cartoon and acting out the meme made me spit out my tea.

a bit late but I agree, This scene had me in stitches for at least 20 minutes.

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 09:50:00 PM »

I stayed in the theater for that post credit scene, so did a few other people. We were all laughing at that. Grin

This has always been my argument when discussing casting options with people. My opinion has always been cast the best actor you can in the role. Thanks to wigs/hair dye, wardrobe and a good personal trainer, anyone can be made to "look" like the character. What is more important is if they can capture the essence of the character. Plus, as you say, these characters are not real. So no actor actually "looks" like the character. Take Bruce Wayne for instance. The way he looks in the comics changes slightly depending on the artist who is drawing him. But he remains a fictional character.

I suppose I understand why people take these characters too seriously sometimes. We grow up using them as a form of escapism and entertainment. We are drawn to them as we feel a connection with them and through this connection we can feel like we're a superhero too. So any criticism of a character we love can almost feel like a personal attack.

One example I like to use of this is Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. People complained that he was too tall for the character. Oh, they complained endlessly. Yet, I'll bet a number of those same people had tears in their eyes at the end of Logan, as Hugh's casting as Wolverine was perfect. He looked enough like the character but, more importantly, his acting was spot-on as Wolverine. He had the essence of the character, which is way more important than his height. I'm sure there weren't any 5'3" (Logan's actual height, according to the Marvel Wiki) guys available who could have played that role as well as Hugh did. So, he was a bit tall. Who cares?

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 10:48:41 PM »

One example I like to use of this is Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. People complained that he was too tall for the character. Oh, they complained endlessly. Yet, I'll bet a number of those same people had tears in their eyes at the end of Logan, as Hugh's casting as Wolverine was perfect. He looked enough like the character but, more importantly, his acting was spot-on as Wolverine. He had the essence of the character, which is way more important than his height. I'm sure there weren't any 5'3" (Logan's actual height, according to the Marvel Wiki) guys available who could have played that role as well as Hugh did. So, he was a bit tall. Who cares?
I initially complained about his casting, but all was forgiven when I watched the first X-Men. He perfectly captured the essence of the character, to the point where, as you said, most people probably forget than Logan is actually supposed to be short, stocky and Robin Williams level of hairy.

Also, I'm so glad we have gone away from the early 00s practice of black leather and have finally embraced the colour costumes from the comics. I mean, how awesome does Benedict Cumberbatch look as Dr Strange. If ever there was a costume that would look on-screen it would be his. And yet, with the eastern martial arts influence with the costume, it looked amazeballs.

scifidude79
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 11:45:46 PM »

"You actually go outside in these?"
 "What would you prefer, yellow spandex?"

(I think I was one of 10 people in the theater who laughed at that)

Yeah, leather was a big thing in early 00s comic movies, as was copying the successful Batman color scheme. Like you said, it's good they got away from that.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: