Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Question about 'Quick Disconnect'  (Read 2191 times)
Bakjam
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 2

« on: April 14, 2019, 12:47:44 AM »

Hi everyone!

I am considering to add 'Quick Disconnect' to a saber, in the description it says:

''Quick Disconnect is an option offered with sabers that use the MLS (Modular LED System) unit to house the LED. This option allows you to remove the MLS unit and replace it with one of a different color. Additional MLS units are sold here. This option does NOT work with the RGB color selection, only with single color sabers. Please do not select Quick Disconnect with the RGB color option.''

As far as I understand this option allows me to change the color of the blade by obtaining several LED-units. So can I use this option along with different colored LED-units to create different colors?

Base blade: consular green saber with premium sound (no emerald / diamond).

Looking forward to hearing from you!

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 01:17:38 AM »

You don't really create different colors, you just switch colors. If you have a red unit and a blue unit you can't make I purple saber. You can just have red or blue depending which unit you insert. The quick disconnects are just a plug in connector in the wires. You get get individual color modules in whatever colors US sells for one of each. 

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 02:19:01 AM »

Firehand's right.
What quick-disconnect allows is for you to swap out the LED unit for another one.
Only way to actually 'mix' custom colors is with an Emerald or Diamond board and an RGBW setup

Bakjam
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 11:57:11 AM »

You don't really create different colors, you just switch colors. If you have a red unit and a blue unit you can't make I purple saber. You can just have red or blue depending which unit you insert. The quick disconnects are just a plug in connector in the wires. You get get individual color modules in whatever colors US sells for one of each.  

Glad to hear that, thanks! Another question regarding the Quick-disconnect option: if I go for a saber without flash-on-clash, can I 'add' it by buying a LED module with flash-on-clash? Or should I choose a saber with flash-on-clash and then buy a separate Tri-Cri LED-unit in order to benefit from the best of both worlds?

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 07:11:38 PM »

You can add FoC, but it requires a bit of soldering because you need to connect the wire from the LED module to the FoC terminal of the board. And it'll void your warranty when modifying the saber unless you send it back to UltraSabers and let them do the upgrade. Then it'll stay in the 1 year warranty.

So I'd recommend buying the saber with FoC Smiley

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Bakjam
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 03:45:22 PM »

You can add FoC, but it requires a bit of soldering because you need to connect the wire from the LED module to the FoC terminal of the board. And it'll void your warranty when modifying the saber unless you send it back to UltraSabers and let them do the upgrade. Then it'll stay in the 1 year warranty.

So I'd recommend buying the saber with FoC Smiley

Aah so I buy it with FoC and then buy a Tri-Cri LED unit to be able to switch out between the two?

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 12:12:48 PM »

Should work, yes. But keep in mind that TriCree is incompatible to FoC, so a TriCree can't flash to a different colour upon impact. The FoC connector will be a dead end with a TriCree installed, but it can be used with a LED module with FoC.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Bakjam
Knight Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 05:37:26 PM »

Should work, yes. But keep in mind that TriCree is incompatible to FoC, so a TriCree can't flash to a different colour upon impact. The FoC connector will be a dead end with a TriCree installed, but it can be used with a LED module with FoC.

Thanks, so If I connect a Tri-Cri LED-unit to a saber with FoC, It will just not flash (so the saber will stay on and not turn off for a second as a replacement for FoC, essentially nothing will happen)?

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2019, 07:21:06 PM »

Just like that, yes. And once you install a LED unit with FoC, it will flash to the colour you chose.

Sig by Master Nero

MandaloriansPride
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 60

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 04:14:02 AM »

If you're going to be using quick disconnect to switch out LED modules - I highly recommend getting the Buckpuck instead of resistor. Since different LEDs have different requirements for resistors, the Buckpuck  will protect any of the LEDs you use.

Proud Owner of:
Graflex CE w/Diamond Controller
Spectre (Black Hilt) w/Diamond Controller
Lost Gray w/Diamond Controller
Guardian w/Emerald and Obsidian v4
Spectre w/Obsidian v4
Archon v3.1 w/Obsidian v4
Consular w/Obsidian v4
Dark Shock w/Obsidian v4
Arbiter w/Obsidian v3
Shock - installed myself
12 additional Mystery Box sabers

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2019, 05:21:41 AM »

I believe when you order a LED module from US they come with resistors on them. At least mine did.

MandaloriansPride
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2019, 05:44:02 AM »

I believe when you order a LED module from US they come with resistors on them. At least mine did.

Huh. None of mine have.

Proud Owner of:
Spectre w/Obsidian v4
Consular w/Obsidian v4
Dark Shock w/Obsidian v4
Arbiter w/Obsidian v3
Shock - installed myself

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »

@tx_tuff: Were your modules BR or mixed colours' modules? Then it's normal for them to have resistors. A CG or GB module doesn't need any additional resistors.

Sig by Master Nero

MandaloriansPride
Knight Lieutenant

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2019, 06:03:10 PM »

I'm going to put up a retraction -  Last night while I working on some sabers, I DID notice that my SRD does have a resistor that they put on. The AB, TRI AB, GB, TRI GB, and SY all do not have resistors that they put on.

Proud Owner of:
Spectre w/Obsidian v4
Consular w/Obsidian v4
Dark Shock w/Obsidian v4
Arbiter w/Obsidian v3
Shock - installed myself

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2019, 03:53:10 PM »

@tx_tuff: Were your modules BR or mixed colours' modules? Then it's normal for them to have resistors. A CG or GB module doesn't need any additional resistors.

Yes and yes. Tri BR and DVA. I found an old Orange one with a resistor and a CG without.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: