Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Yari Extensions for Pike  (Read 2387 times)
Daric Soldar
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 13

Lightside Points Appreciated

« on: April 18, 2019, 04:49:10 PM »

Hey all,
Considering for the future about either a single saber with 2 or 3 Yari extensions to make a true saber pike or a double-bladed saber with 1 or 2 Yari extensions to make the staffs that the Temple Guards use.

Does anyone have any experience with these sabers? What length blades would you recommend? Does having the 2-3 Yari extensions and a single blade make it difficult to spin since it is asymmetrical (which is why I am considering a double-bladed staff with 1-2 Yari extensions instead), or does it still work okay?

For the other case (double-bladed saber with 1-2 Yari extensions), does having the 2 Yari extensions make it too heavy or cumbersome to spin very well?

Thank you!

"Arrogance diminishes wisdom."
Shock LE (Emerald), Aeon v4 (Consular Green), Sentinel v5 (Tri-Cree Adegan Silver), Dominix LE v4 (Tri-Cree Consular Green)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 04:10:45 AM »

I wouldn't do more than 2 Yari extensions. While I am not great with my pike (2 extensions and a Dominix V4), it spins just fine. Master Resolute has some great videos of him using one very similar to my own. If you are going double-bladed I would not recommend using more than 1 extension. It will just get too long and cumbersome. For single blade, both 1 and 2 work great. I don't have 3, but I don't think I could wield it at all if I had 3.

Hope this helps. If that doesn't make sense, I will try to say it in a clearer way. Cheesy

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 02:12:46 PM »

I agree with Taegin. Two piles with a hilt would be enough unless your close to 7 feet, then go for it. If you want something similar to the temple guards, just buy two sabers and a coupler to turn them into a staff

Daric Soldar
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 09:24:05 AM »

Thank you both for your responses. I'm just under 6 foot.

My reasoning for asking was that I was comparing the saber lengths and pictures online of characters that used pikes such as the one below.

It seems like that length would need at least 2 extensions. It does seem you are right about the Temple guards; one extension would probably be good enough.

Thanks, do you have a link for those videos from Master Resolute you mentioned?

Daric.

Shock LE (Emerald), Aeon v4 (Consular Green), Sentinel v5 (Tri-Cree Adegan Silver), Dominix LE v4 (Tri-Cree Consular Green)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 05:42:44 PM »

Thank you both for your responses. I'm just under 6 foot.

My reasoning for asking was that I was comparing the saber lengths and pictures online of characters that used pikes such as the one below.

For the length in that picture you would need about a 16-20" blade and three extensions. The only problem with 3 extensions is that it gets long and heavy, and diameter of the hilt is thicker than the hilt in the picture.

Thanks, do you have a link for those videos from Master Resolute you mentioned?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P4HYNfFcEk

That is the link to a montage video. The spear/pike starts about 4:45. I think the longer video of him using the spear got taken down.

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 10:38:40 AM »

I want to make a pike but I'm not sure witch saber to use. An I think I'd go with 2 yari extensions.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 05:48:52 PM »

I want to make a pike but I'm not sure witch saber to use. An I think I'd go with 2 yari extensions.

Like I said, I use a Dominix V4, and that works pretty good. I forget what Master Res uses. He'd be able to tell you. I think Solstice Lacer also has a spear, but I don't know what setup Solstice uses.

Daric Soldar
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »

For the length in that picture you would need about a 16-20" blade and three extensions. The only problem with 3 extensions is that it gets long and heavy, and diameter of the hilt is thicker than the hilt in the picture.

That is the link to a montage video. The spear/pike starts about 4:45. I think the longer video of him using the spear got taken down.

Yeah, that's a good point. I don't doubt the strength of the couplers, but I imagine a problem one may run into is there might be some slight bending at the joints if you have way too many sabers and extensions connected and you're trying to do lots of spinning or slashing techniques. Over extended use, that could cause damage to the coupler and/or the saber threading. It would take a whole lot of use to make them non-functional, but as an engineer, it's just something I keep in mind. Smiley

Thanks for the link, Taegin. I was looking around in the forums and didn't find it myself. It looks like he's using a 16" blade? Doesn't look long enough for a 24", but I might be wrong.

Daric

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Lord of the Force

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 05:52:09 PM »

Yeah, that's a good point. I don't doubt the strength of the couplers, but I imagine a problem one may run into is there might be some slight bending at the joints if you have way too many sabers and extensions connected and you're trying to do lots of spinning or slashing techniques. Over extended use, that could cause damage to the coupler and/or the saber threading. It would take a whole lot of use to make them non-functional, but as an engineer, it's just something I keep in mind. Smiley

Thanks for the link, Taegin. I was looking around in the forums and didn't find it myself. It looks like he's using a 16" blade? Doesn't look long enough for a 24", but I might be wrong.

Daric

I was thinking more about the weight of the hilt on the wielder, but I guess there could be some wear on the couplers as well.

Glad I could help. :)s

Daric Soldar
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 06:47:00 PM »

I was thinking more about the weight of the hilt on the wielder, but I guess there could be some wear on the couplers as well.

Glad I could help. :)s

Ha, yup. I figured that's what you meant, so I thought I would add to what you said, but I didn't make that clear. Smiley Yeah, it would become more cumbersome to the wielder if too many extensions are added. The length advantage would be outweighed (hehe) by the additional mass of the hilt. The center of gravity would also probably be messed up, and the amount of rotational inertia to change directions when spinning would grow. It would be fun to try with 1, 2, or 3 extensions on a single or double blade of varying lengths (16, 24, 32).

Thanks again.

Matt

TR-77477
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -361

Join The Darkside ( We have cookies)

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »

I have a pike that I use for my shadow guard. It has 3 yari's and a Dominix v4. It is on the heavy side and a bit un-wieldly. I use it mostly for parades and photos.
I would not recommend spinning or battling with it. It's far to long,

"The Jedi and Sith wield the Ashla and the Bogan, the light and the dark. I'm the one in the middle, the Bendu."

Wish list---Consular--Flamberge V2--Omen

Make-A-Wish Donations

Dark apprentice v4 with FOC and basic sound GB -- Dark Apprentice LE v4 (Grab Bag) GB
Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR -- Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR

Gifted

Dominix V4--- Initiate V4---Graflex SE SD---Dark Apprentice v4 GB
Dark Standard issue CG at Dcon 2018---Six Mystery Boxes at dcon 2019

Daric Soldar
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 09:17:25 PM »

I have a pike that I use for my shadow guard. It has 3 yari's and a Dominix v4. It is on the heavy side and a bit un-wieldly. I use it mostly for parades and photos.
I would not recommend spinning or battling with it. It's far to long,

Do you have a link to the galleries of your pike, just so I can get an idea of what it looks like? Also, as long as you don't feel uncomfortable mentioning it, approximately how tall are you? (For comparisons)

Thanks,
Matt

TR-77477
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -361

Join The Darkside ( We have cookies)

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 11:33:14 AM »

I can not find a picture of my pike, but I am 6'3" and I use a 24" blade. Anything else just looks gawdy in my opinion. I'll keep looking and see if I can find a pic.

"The Jedi and Sith wield the Ashla and the Bogan, the light and the dark. I'm the one in the middle, the Bendu."

Wish list---Consular--Flamberge V2--Omen

Make-A-Wish Donations

Dark apprentice v4 with FOC and basic sound GB -- Dark Apprentice LE v4 (Grab Bag) GB
Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR -- Dark Apprentice v4 (Grab bag) BR

Gifted

Dominix V4--- Initiate V4---Graflex SE SD---Dark Apprentice v4 GB
Dark Standard issue CG at Dcon 2018---Six Mystery Boxes at dcon 2019

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: