Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Last Jedi issue  (Read 4027 times)
DCE Digital Studio
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 5

« on: April 20, 2019, 02:20:02 AM »

Ok, maybe this belongs in the movie thread, but I'm really surprised that someone has brought this up before.
Unless I'm wrong, nowhere in the SW universe is God mentioned. Whills yes, but a God figure no. Correct?
Then why do they say Godspeed in the Last Jedi? May the Force be with you, yes. The Force. But not 1 single creator. Right?

May your saber always be within your reach, and your opponent's luck and skill be less than your own.
Current Sabers:
Spectre - Violet Amethyst
Initiate V4 - Sunrider's Destiny
Dark Apprentice V4 LE- Blazing Red
Sentinel V4 LE - Guardian Blue
Dark Sentinel V4 - Sunrider's Destiny
Chosen One v3 - Consular Green

Darth Tepes
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -776

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 02:38:53 AM »

Ok, maybe this belongs in the movie thread, but I'm really surprised that someone has brought this up before.
Unless I'm wrong, nowhere in the SW universe is God mentioned. Whills yes, but a God figure no. Correct?
Then why do they say Godspeed in the Last Jedi? May the Force be with you, yes. The Force. But not 1 single creator. Right?

They also mention Hell

Light Side, Dark Side.  I'm the guy with the Saber.
Azure Omen in Adagan Silver
Stunt Initiate in Violet Amethyst
Bellicose in Consular Green
Flamberge SE in Blazing Red
 Emperor's Hand in Guardian Blue
Grand Master in Blazing Red

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 02:55:58 AM »

Yes Han says "I'll see you in hell" in ESB. Owen says godspeed in episode IV, Poe also says it in episode VII.

And the definition of Godspeed is : An expression of good wishes to a person starting a journey.

So technically it didn't refer to God.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

DCE Digital Studio
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 04:25:28 AM »

I thought it was an isolated incident.  My mistake. But godspeed's origin is middle English for "God speed you". Either way, the "I'll see you in Hell" alone doesn't fit. Have they ever mentioned an underworld?

May your saber always be within your reach, and your opponent's luck and skill be less than your own.
Current Sabers:

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2019, 05:19:11 AM »

This is what I found online.

"In legends Hell was the underworld in an ancient Corellian religion. It was also called Chaos and The Void. It’s the realm where dead Sith and other dark siders went."

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Taegin Roan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 2066

Lord of the Force

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2019, 07:01:44 AM »

Other than the times that Godspeed is mentioned there is technically no other mention of God or a Supreme Being of any kind. However, it is implied with things like the Force, the Whills, etc. For fear of breaching the "no religion" rule, I will refrain from saying any more about it in the open forum.

"I am the Outcast's Shadow" - Taegin Roan
"Confronting fear is the Destiny of a Jedi" - Luke Skywalker
"So this is how liberty dies: with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala

DCE Digital Studio
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 01:48:56 PM »

Agreed.

Current Sabers:

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 05:41:09 PM »

From what is implied, the Jedi were an ancient religion, peacekeepers within the galaxy who recruited and trained those from their respective worlds who were born with higher midichlorians to do likewise. Sort of guardians of the galaxy who attempted to bring all life together and attuned to the force. Remember, it was only the war and the republic which turned them into warriors and tried to use the principles they stood for—and their strengths—to dominate and control the universe.

I mean, the symbolism is all over the place as far as parallels with so many things in life. The force itself is pretty much Lucas’ take on “Unified Field Theory,” which quantum physics states does exist and binds all living things, possibly the very energy from which life and consciousness sprang. But we humans can’t utilize it like those denizens of the galaxy far, far away.

My personal thoughts are that Lucas created that galaxy to show a universe struggling between corruption and power, and the force symbolized the wellspring of that power and how the Sith used it to gain control and dominance...and how that galaxy devolved from a more enlightened sort of peace and fell into darkness. It doesn’t have to be about religion. It’s just Lucas’ take on the whole good Vs. evil myth in hopes of showing us a reflection of how easily that balance can be lost. Possibly a sort of lesson to us humans, as all science fiction and comic books are—just retelling of myths in every generation pointing out the folly of man who never quite learns from all our mistakes.

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 03:00:03 AM »

I'll keep this focused on SW canon as Taegin is right don't want to venture into real world religion except by analogy to SW.

I think the simplest way to look at it is to simply consider that the Galaxy is a multi racial multi cultural place, within that there would be hundreds and thousands of religious and spiritual beliefs just like there are on Earth, on that basis its easy to accept that such terminology would slip into peoples vocabulary depending on where they are born/grew up etc.  what a 'god' or 'hell' means or if it exists at all depends on different cultures, also what they believe about the Force differs - this is where EU is such a great resource e.g. the Sith are variously a Race, Religion and Code of ethics, same with the Jedi, the Witches of Dathomir Reverse two Gods, the Miralkuka had similar Gods emphasising duality of the force (Ashla and Bogan) so 'god' there could easily be one of those, the Hutts also had Gods as i recall. 

So yeah I think the diversity of the galaxy means there will be some god religions that tie into the force, but it would not be universal or 'true'  I think the only thing the differing Star Wars religions would agree on is the Force is real (as there is abundant evidence of its use across specieis and time) what that means to different culutres is another matter - e.g. Jedi are largely atheists as i understand but consider the force to have moral dimensions and acts in a pantheistic manner, the Dathomiri witches similar but believe it comes from the dual nature of sentient Gods. So you're right no single creator, just different beliefs that slip into vocabulary.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

StoryDtechtive
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 91

Light always casts shadow/Darkness defines light!

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 05:05:02 AM »

Just another random SW thought, but it also seems there are lots of “earthly/human” references. My thoughts have always been that these people were ancestors of humans and had similar beliefs and traditions. One scene that seems to really bring this home for me was during the prequels when Obi Wan went to that diner for information which looked very much like a 50s diner setting—with an alien owner and a robot waitress.

I know science fiction often draws on such things. It’s easier than having to make up everything, and because it gives people something to relate to so it’s not all completely foreign to the audience. But Lucas really seemed to have a lot of references to things which made it seem like a precursor to our own galaxy, and hints they may be our “alien” ancestors who eventually populated earth. He kinda subscribes to those theories in a lot of his work.

Saber Arsenal:
$75 MB: Liberator GB Stunt Saber
Electrum Wind FO Lite Sound
Chosen One SE BR Lite Sound (Forthcoming)
$75 MB: ? (Forthcoming)
Grab bag saber: ? Fall Raffle 2018 4th prize (Forthcoming)

Most Wanted: Graflex CE, Chosen One CE, Prophecy, Archon 3.1 That would be a good start Smiley

Bob Loblaw
Knight Major

Force Alignment: 102

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2019, 09:38:59 PM »

I thought it was an isolated incident.  My mistake. But godspeed's origin is middle English for "God speed you".

I always thought Godspeed was 186,282 miles per second...

Jaymes1980
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -68

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 11:30:24 PM »

Makes perfect sense storydtechive, I always thought it was like Republicans and Democrats 🤣🤦‍♂️, I took a saber color quiz on Leia's lair didn't like the answer or color I lined up with.  I recieved the color white😡lol

Vengeance is a must death will follow no one will survive
 Crimson Scorpion diamond, dark Initiate v4 stunt, Sentinel LE v4 stunt, Aeon v4 stunt.   If I could name change it would have been Darth Sithious

Kryptonian Jedi
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: 20

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »

I just tend to think of things like "godspeed" or "see you in hell" as being rough translations of an alien language from a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Also there's always the MST3K them song suggestion: "Repeat to yourself it's just a show and I should really just relax."  Basically in the dialog they needed something that sounded good and whether or not it clashed a little with the world setting wasn't really deemed to be that important at least for those scenes.

There's also just the simple possibility that The Galaxy has more than one religion and that among them are belief systems that have a one-god concept and a concept of hell. Or maybe it's even a hold over. Maybe at some point people thought there was a supreme being who created The Force and that the idea of a hell in the afterlife was considered a consequence of using the Dark Side.

StarWars_and_Guitars
Knight Apprentice

Force Alignment: 11

Action figure and prop collector

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 02:39:04 AM »

If this is your only issue with TLJ then I must have seen a different movie  Cheesy
But in all seriousness Tarkin referred to The Force as Vader's "religion" and Admiral Motti called it "sorcerer's ways," so we know it is a large galaxy with many religions and terms like that would be common.

Archon v3
Graflex se
Consular
MR Yoda

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 08:59:35 AM »

Don't forget young Anakin referred to Padme as an Angel too.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: