Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: New Font “Lightning” Release, Overview and Tutorial  (Read 8897 times)
Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -168

Once you start down the dark path...

« on: April 26, 2019, 04:42:32 PM »

My new saber font “LIGHTNING” is now available for download!

As was the case with my previous fonts, this is not just a collection of sounds, but a complete collection of synchronized LED effect files as well. The full collection includes 183 sound files in both WAV and LSU formats, 70 UltraSabers Launcher Effect files, and 3 complete font files.

You can download everything at the following link:

http://www.darkpath.media/lightning

I have also put together an overview and tutorial video for this font package. It is similar to the overview and tutorial videos I did for "Son of Darkness" and "Hardwired" in terms of structure, but I spend less time covering things that have already been addressed in those videos, and get to the effects overview faster. The video goes through every single sound and accompanying LED effect via a split window display showing the UltraSabers Launcher software on one side and a saber displaying the effects in real time on the other.

The video is quite long, but only because I included an extended bonus section at the end that shows the cutting/editing process of creating "Lightning".

Here is an overview of the video sections:

BASIC TUTORIAL WITH DEFAULT FONT OVERVIEW - 14 Minutes

ADDITIONAL EFFECTS OVERVIEW - 23 MINUTES

BONUS CONTENT: AUDIO EDITING - 20 MINUTES

I have also included a Chapter Index Below if you wish to reference specific content:

The video is embedded below for your convenience, and a direct link to the same video on YouTube is listed below it for those who cannot view embedded videos within this forum:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH_yBPtS06k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH_yBPtS06k</a>

Direct YouTube Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH_yBPtS06k

CHAPTER INDEX

[BASIC TUTORIAL WITH DEFAULT FONT OVERVIEW]
00:00    Introduction
01:07    Reference: Hardwired Tutorial and Video Link
02:00    Content Overview
02:20    Excerpt: “Lightning ” Sound Font Video
03:00    Excerpt: Guardian Quick Look Video
03:54    Methodology of Sound Categorization
04:41    Downloading the Files
05:55    Saber Hookup to Computer & UltraSabers Launcher Software
06:05    Effects Showcase (Default Font Files) Split View, Software & Saber

[ADDITIONAL EFFECTS OVERVIEW]
14:00    Description of the Three Available Font Files
15:17    Effects Showcase (Additional Effect Files) Split View, Software & Saber
             16:00    Tag/Boot Effects
             17:09    Power On Effects
             19:35    Power Off Effects
             21:35    Idle/Hum Effects
             32:31    Force Effects
             33:41    Lockup Effects
             35:00    Gesture/Combo Effects
37:43    Included Sounds not Covered (Blaster & Color Sounds, i.e. the “Other Guys”)
38:32    Forum User Shout Outs
40:15    Closing Commentary, Wrap-Up & Thanks

[BONUS CONTENT: AUDIO EDITING]
41:23     Audio Editing Screen Capture (Swing Sounds)
42:51     Audio Editing Screen Capture (Clash Sounds)
45:35     Audio Editing Screen Capture (Sound Selection & Categorization)

1:00:00     End

Video links referenced in the tutorial:

Video Link (Hardwired Overview and Tutorial):
https://youtu.be/Fq3Yreha4uw

Video Link (Lightning Sound Font Video):
https://youtu.be/NP4OeNT_ubg

Video Link (Guardian Quick Look Video):
https://youtu.be/fDOsIE_Rdxs

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, or let me know if you have any trouble with the download. Sometimes, users experience issues with different browsers, settings, etc. Should you experience problems like that, I'll do everything I can to get the files to you.

Enjoy!

Ultrasabers currently owned: Archon v3.1 (Diamond) - Guardian (Diamond) - Spectre (Diamond) - Renegade (Diamond) - Fulcrum (Diamond) - Consular (Diamond) - Butcher (Diamond) - Menace SE Staff (Diamond) - Dark Graflex (Diamond) - Dark Sentinel v4 (Stunt) - Initiate v4 (Stunt, Summer Raffle Prize)

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 05:23:35 PM »

FYI - I'm going to take a break from the music fonts for a little while and get back to more traditional Star Wars inspired fonts.

I've been thinking of developing an original "unstable blade" type of font.

Ultrasabers currently owned: Archon v3.1 (Diamond) - Guardian (Diamond) - Spectre (Diamond) - Renegade (Diamond) - Fulcrum (Diamond) - Consular (Diamond) - Butcher (Diamond) - Menace SE Staff (Diamond) - Dark Graflex (Diamond) - Dark Sentinel v4 (Stunt) - Initiate v4 (Stunt, Summer Raffle Prize)

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 07:05:57 PM »

I really wanted to just download the font and start spinning.  I however really appreciate all the work you did putting this together.  So I felt I should sit and watch the whole hour long video first. I mean you went through all the trouble.  The very least I can do is watch and like the video. You did not disappoint me!
      Thank you for the mention! Everyone that has been eagerly waiting for this font should watch the video all the way through.  He mentions a lot of us. Pretty cool of you to do that!
Thank you so much for all your hard work on this. I will definitely be enjoying it. I am also not surprised you need a break from the music fonts. It starts off  as having fun making a new font and can quickly turn in to work. Thank you for putting in the work!  Take a much deserved break and hopefully making fonts remains a fun thing for you to do!

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 07:48:34 PM »

It is a great say, thank you so much DPM!

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 01:18:46 PM »

I really wanted to just download the font and start spinning. I however really appreciate all the work you did putting this together.  So I felt I should sit and watch the whole hour long video first. I mean you went through all the trouble. The very least I can do is watch and like the video. You did not disappoint me!
Thank you for the mention! Everyone that has been eagerly waiting for this font should watch the video all the way through.  He mentions a lot of us. Pretty cool of you to do that! Thank you so much for all your hard work on this. I will definitely be enjoying it.

Ha, ha Smiley You certainly could have done that Kaiser, but I definitely appreciate that you took the time to check out the video. It was a heck of a production. I get these ideas, then dive into them and realize, "damn, this is taking longer than I thought" Lol.

You and everyone else on the Lightning thread have been very supportive, which certainly helps when you're spending hours not only preparing the sounds, but maybe even more time configuring all the LED effects. For that, you guys deserve the mention for sure Smiley

I am also not surprised you need a break from the music fonts. It starts off  as having fun making a new font and can quickly turn in to work. Thank you for putting in the work!  Take a much deserved break and hopefully making fonts remains a fun thing for you to do!

Making fonts is a lot of fun, and I don't forsee a time when it won't be. Again, a big part of what makes it fun is being able to share it with people; otherwise I think it would be difficult to justify the time investment.

I've only been doing it a short time and I do enjoy it. I just want to keep mixing it up to keep things fresh creatively, which is the reason for leaving music fonts alone for a bit. Sometimes I think it's too easy to sort of just start going through the motions when something gets too familiar. If that happens, the quality will ultimately suffer and I don't want that to happen.

Also, I really want to make a brutal sounding unstable font; something that takes the Kylo sound to a different, more F'd up level. It would be an original creation from the ground up, which sounds satisfying. What you recently did with the "Malfunction" & "Electric" sound fonts adds another level to the concept... like perhaps it would sort of "hiccup" upon startup, sputter a bit, then ignite into something you'd almost be afraid to hold onto for very long. We'll see what happens, and maybe that's the most intriguing part... I don't know the path; I only have a basic concept of what I want it to be.

Thanks again Kaiser, your encouragement was instrumental in the font's existence Smiley

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 01:20:34 PM »

It is a great say, thank you so much DPM!

You're welcome BatMike90!

...And thank you. I appreciate all of your kind words Smiley

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 12:23:53 AM »

Okay. I've had a chance to give your pre made font a spin.
  I love it! Thank you a hundred times!
Since you also included all the extras (22hums and such), I also put together a customized one for myself. I love it too!
 I really can not say thank you enough. As soon as my son gets home, the Hardwired vs Lightning saber battles will commence. I have been looking forward to this for a while. It is going to be a crazy mashup of Metallica riffs echoing across the canyons tonight!

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 01:25:56 AM »

As soon as my son gets home, the Hardwired vs Lightning saber battles will commence. I have been looking forward to this for a while. It is going to be a crazy mashup of Metallica riffs echoing across the canyons tonight!

That sounds absolutely epic! I honestly never envisioned a battle between Metallica albums being facilitated by lightsaber. It's sort of surreal Lol.

I think you should memorialize such epic-ness on video my friend Smiley

Lightning will be victorious of course.

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 11:46:42 PM »

I keep trying and failing  to post a video. So here is a link. Keep in mind it is our first video. It was an epic battle! The video is the last minute before the mosquitoes drove us inside. My son was more excited then I was somehow. I wish the light was better so you could see his giant smile!
http://youtu.be/nAM75LgEoTk

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 03:23:27 PM »

That is fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to shoot and upload that Smiley

Everyone has to see this; I'm going to try to embed it here...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAM75LgEoTk&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAM75LgEoTk&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 05:41:14 PM »

That is fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to shoot and upload that Smiley

Everyone has to see this; I'm going to try to embed it here...

This is awesome!

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 05:55:14 PM »

Thank you for embedding the video.
    Did you notice how good the power off lighting effect looks in the video? The colors you chose to use really create an amazing dimming look. To me it is the best blade retraction I have seen yet. Really great font.  I'll stop gushing over it in a couple months, I hope.

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 08:23:55 PM »

DPM, thank you a thousand times over for sharing your talent with us.  Also, thanks for the mentions in the video!  My jaw dropped when you started introducing the final four "Call of Ktulu" hums.  I'm glad to have played a tiny tiny microscopic part in getting more options for everyone.  Rest assured I will find a way to make a font using one of them work; I will do whatever is necessary to have a font on one of my sabers based on that epic instrumental. 

On another note, I love that you included even the much maligned "Escape" in the font options.  There's always at least a riff or two that's worthwhile in almost every Metallica track in my opinion.  Whenever it is in the far future that you continue filling out the set, I can't wait to see what you do with Load and St Anger.

Thank you again for all your hard work.  I already had a lot to do this weekend, but now I will happily add some time assembling at least one or two of the multiple variations of this masterpiece I will require.  Enjoy your well deserved break!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 03:34:02 AM »

DPM, thank you a thousand times over for sharing your talent with us.  Also, thanks for the mentions in the video!  My jaw dropped when you started introducing the final four "Call of Ktulu" hums.  I'm glad to have played a tiny tiny microscopic part in getting more options for everyone.  Rest assured I will find a way to make a font using one of them work; I will do whatever is necessary to have a font on one of my sabers based on that epic instrumental. 

On another note, I love that you included even the much maligned "Escape" in the font options.  There's always at least a riff or two that's worthwhile in almost every Metallica track in my opinion.  Whenever it is in the far future that you continue filling out the set, I can't wait to see what you do with Load and St Anger.

Thank you again for all your hard work.  I already had a lot to do this weekend, but now I will happily add some time assembling at least one or two of the multiple variations of this masterpiece I will require.  Enjoy your well deserved break!

You're welcome ktulu1347 Smiley You played a role for sure. I was on the fence between Ride the Lightning and the Black album as to which would be next after Hardwired, and you lobbied very effectively for the former.

In terms of making one of the "Ktulu" hums work, you'll probably be happiest using one of the versions where I mixed in a cymbal impact and bass note; Hum 20 and Hum 22 I believe.

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 02:13:58 AM »

I just wanted to thank you again!  We are still having a lot of fun with your fonts. I can't thank you enough for sharing them.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: