Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Question on illuminated AV switch  (Read 2357 times)
Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« on: May 13, 2019, 09:08:19 PM »

I'm sorry for my ignorance, and I have read LOTS of threads (including the FAQs) and watched many videos, but if the answer is out there, I'm overlooking it. 

If I get an illuminated AV switch with a Diamond controller, what changes can I make to the AV switch?  I believe I have seen that I can use it to act as a (two-level) low-battery indicator, that I can turn it off completely, and that I can alter its brightness/intensity during some effects, AND that all this sort of thing can be stored/saved in an effect (and therefore also as part of a font package).  Is all this correct?  Is there anything else that I can do, like change the color of the AV switch during an effect?  I see that the initial color of the switch can be different than the initial color of the blade, and I see three colors (white, yellow, and orange) that it can take multiple RGB input colors to create (depending on RGBW or RGWA choice) so it seems as if the AV switch has not only its own signal channel (for control), but its own multi-color source of light.

Pardon the pun, but please illuminate me.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 09:42:22 PM »

You're totally correct, except for one thing: No matter what colour you chosse for your switch LED, it can NOT be changed! The switch would need a RGBW/A multi-die LED, but they don't have it. So colour changing is not possible, only for the main LED.

And even if the switches have RGBW/A LEDs, you'd need so much space for all the wires...

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 10:18:23 PM »

You're totally correct, except for one thing: No matter what colour you chosse for your switch LED, it can NOT be changed! The switch would need a RGBW/A multi-die LED, but they don't have it. So colour changing is not possible, only for the main LED.

And even if the switches have RGBW/A LEDs, you'd need so much space for all the wires...
Okay, so there is a separate single-color die for the switch, then? This makes more sense.

So... what color switch, and why?  With a Diamond controller, the blade could be any one of literally BILLIONS of colors (256^4), so it's pretty pointless to try to match or coordinate with the blade color.  My first thought was to go with white, but then I thought about perhaps going for a high-contrast color with the hilt, and with a silver hilt, that's not as much contrast as you could get (although it could work well with red, blue, or black). Then you could also choose a switch that would either coordinate or contrast with the rest of the hilt color (black on silver (or predominantly silver), silver on black (or predominantly black)), and then have the illumination of the switch contrast with either the main hilt color OR with the switch color... SO MANY CHOICES!

I know that in the end, it all comes down to MY personal preference, but hearing other people's informed opinions does help.  For instance, I was quite attracted to one particular hilt, until a friend of mine (not a saber fanatic) pointed out that it looked more than a little reminiscent of certain body parts.  Now that this image has been put into my head, I can't UNSEE it when I look at that hilt, so I'm glad I heard that comment prior to my purchase.

So, please... could people who have illuminated switches and Diamond controllers chime in here and explain how they chose the color of the AV switch?  I don't care if it's as simple as, "I chose red because it's my favorite color" -- I would appreciate the input.

Oh... I still don't even know what hilt I want; heck I'm all over the map with that.  I'm looking at several, including the Initiate (or Dark Initiate) LE v5, the Sentinel (or Dark Sentinel) LE v5, the Apprentice (or Dark Apprentice) LE v5, the Aeon (or Dominix) LE v5, the (Crimson/Azure/black) Grand Master, the Menace SE (I don't know why the Crimson and Azure don't appeal as much with this hilt), the Emperor's Hand, and the Crimson Scorpion (sans claw).  So... I can't even tell you which hilt would receive the switch, or what the main color of that hilt would be, other than neither nickel-plated nor gold.

Yes, I'm a mess of indecision.  I can only hope that things will improve when I am able to physically inspect the various hilts at Phoenix Fan Fusion.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »

I have red, blue, white, and yellow illuminated AVs. Give me a moment and I'll be back with pics lol. Personally, I like Red

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 10:46:17 PM »

Tada! Lots of red, a white, a blue, and a yellow

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 12:49:23 AM »

Tada! Lots of red, a white, a blue, and a yellow
Thanks for taking the time to snap and post a pic!

Okay, the red switch on the Crimson Scorpion (sans claw, like I'm considering) is kinda obvious on how you chose it (and it looks VERY nice), and the same goes for the Electrum Wind (and again, matching the switch illumination to the body color is an obvious and good-looking choice).  But how did you pick the other colors on the black and silver hilts?

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:04:41 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to snap and post a pic!

Okay, the red switch on the Crimson Scorpion (sans claw, like I'm considering) is kinda obvious on how you chose it (and it looks VERY nice), and the same goes for the Electrum Wind (and again, matching the switch illumination to the body color is an obvious and good-looking choice).  But how did you pick the other colors on the black and silver hilts?

Mine actually has a claw, just not visible in the photo lol. The spectre with blue was mostly a whim, but it sort of matches the FoC which is arctic blue. Electrum wind actually matches the blade color too, but I was experimenting with filters to show someone a green blade with yellow AV combo. The white was my first illuminated one, just me trying it out for the first time, but honestly, I just really like the red contrast. I live the idea of red AVs which US does not currently offer, so the red illuminated is a nice make-do to me. On the Flamberge V2 particularly, the contrast on the black hilt is, in my opinion, stunning.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 04:31:07 AM »

Mine actually has a claw, just not visible in the photo lol.
Oops!  Well, it still looks great!
On the Flamberge V2 particularly, the contrast on the black hilt is, in my opinion, stunning.
Oh, I’d have to agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: