Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Ultrasaber Sentinel LE V4 Review  (Read 3292 times)
DCE Digital Studio
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 5

« on: May 15, 2019, 02:44:40 PM »

This may have been a mystery box, but the sentinel is not only my favorite, most comfortable to use, well balanced saber that I own yet.  Yes at the time of recording this video, it did belong to my son.  But, he recently got a Sentinel V4with the Obsidian Premium sound and we 'traded'.  This review is a bit on the short side, but I don't see the need to waste people's time by repeating myself over and over again.  I hope you enjoy.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8bt1FbqDT0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8bt1FbqDT0</a>

May your saber always be within your reach, and your opponent's luck and skill be less than your own.
Current Sabers:
Spectre - Violet Amethyst
Initiate V4 - Sunrider's Destiny
Dark Apprentice V4 LE- Blazing Red
Sentinel V4 LE - Guardian Blue
Dark Sentinel V4 - Sunrider's Destiny
Chosen One v3 - Consular Green

DCE Digital Studio
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »

Looks like I can't edit this.  What I meant to say is that this mystery box has become my favorite.  I would never take it away from my son, but he traded up for another sentinel v4 (no windows) that has the premium sound.  It might not be the most expensive of the sabers available, but I would order 5 more of these.. Easily.

May your saber always be within your reach, and your opponent's luck and skill be less than your own.
Current Sabers:

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 05:29:03 PM »

Really enjoyed the video. It's pretty cool that your family got in on this together. Everything I've heard about the Sentinel says it's a great saber to have. Closest I have is a Dominix LE v4. Thinking it is about time I grab a Sentinel. Point for the family fun.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

DCE Digital Studio
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 06:23:40 PM »

Really enjoyed the video. It's pretty cool that your family got in on this together. Everything I've heard about the Sentinel says it's a great saber to have. Closest I have is a Dominix LE v4. Thinking it is about time I grab a Sentinel. Point for the family fun.
Thank you.  We currently have 3 sentinel sabers. I did use the shorter blades (26 inch I believe) along with the staff coupler on 2 of them and as a staff, it was so well balanced and very easy to control. Once I broke them down to dual blades, they seemed out of balance. As I pointed out in the video, the 32-36" blades with the weight and length of this hilt makes it feel effortless. I'd still like to try the Dominix and a few others for comparison. And the family doesn't mind helping me try out new sabers so win win.

Current Sabers:

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 08:34:34 PM »

Based on the values in the drop-down list box on the ordering pages, the standard blade lengths are 36", 32", 24", and 16" (with a GINORMOUS 40" blade also being available).

Having gotten the boring facts out of the way, the review was fun to watch (especially the sped-up parts where your family was in it), and I really liked the close-up views you provided of this one saber.  It's one (of the many) I'm considering buying next week.  I have enough funds for only one, so I want to be sure before I plunk down my cash.  This makes me more certain than ever that eliminating the non-LE versions of the v5 hilts I'm contemplating was the right choice to narrow down my options.  It just looks gorgeous with the contrasting silver and gold (and also the contrasting silver and black on the Dark versions, to be honest).

As far as ripping the label when discovering the hilt... yeah, I've been there, too (both in his position and in yours), and maybe you can instill enough nerd in him as he grows older that he'll eventually realize that there is also joy in the slower, somewhat more careful wrapping-removal process that protects the integrity of any writing.  In the meantime, perhaps you could make it a practice to take a picture of the label before you hand out any Mystery-Box hilts?  That way, it wouldn't really matter if he EVER decides that the writing is important to keep.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 09:02:38 PM »

I've wielded the Dominix V3, V4 and now V5 as well as the Sentinel V3 and V4, using both 32" and 36" blades.   To this day, the V3 with a 32" blade is still my absolute favorite for comfort and ease of handling.  The V4 is very close, but the natural grip point is also where the windows are.  Same issue with the V5, and honestly the claws make it a little more uncomfortable to grip, though if you hold it at the forward claw choke-point it actually works pretty well. 

That being said: For my money, they'll never surpass the simple elegance of the Aeon V3/Dominix V3 saber.   With a catalyst or dark catalyst pommel it is quite simply perfect.  With 36" blades, my version (which had a sound card in the hilt for that little extra counter-balance) feels almost weightless and moves effortlessly through one-handed and two-handed grips.

I would definitely give the Dominix V3 and/or V4 a spin.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

DCE Digital Studio
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 09:11:15 PM »

With the last unboxing that I did (the game) and he was in the other room, I read outloud what was on the package so I had it on video at least. But to be completely honest, I used a defraction method to determine if it was multiple or single LEDs. Then it made it really easy.
It is a beautiful blue. I like the blues over the greens, but that's a personal choice. My spectre is the violet amethyst,  but I also have a yellow led to install (once I figure out how). Because this blue does have an almost black light quality around fluorescent colors, I've got some ideas with costuming that will make things really pop.
An aeon and dominix is on my list to try and buy as well. As for the hold point with the v4 and windows. My hand gravitates to the recess between the emitter and switch. But that might be because of the length of blade and balance.

Current Sabers:

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 09:52:46 PM »

I have owned an Aeon LE v3 stunt saber for five years now (pic below), and my hand just naturally goes to the center bulge in between the two choke points, where the switch is.  Yes, I have large hands, but they're not Shaq large (I typically need the "XL" size in gloves).  To me, grabbing it any closer to the blade feels wrong.  Based on how I read how you hold it, either I'm doing it wrong because I don't know the right way (entirely possible), or maybe I'm just different that way.

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 10:11:39 PM »

That's where I grip my V3 as well.   Both the Aeon and the Initiate.  :-)  The V4s I tend to "choke up" on the blade and grip in the forward choke, where the windows are cut.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

DCE Digital Studio
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 12:33:39 AM »

I'm trying to figure out how to share a picture while using my phone with no luck at the moment. I found that the most comfortable grip is my thumb and fore finger just on the blade side of the switch in the narrow channel. Maybe we are all talking of the same spot. I've used the 32" blades and a 36". Both feel fine, but with the shorter blade it ends up feeling heavier.
This weekend I will get some footage of using them both as a staff and single blade. My mother in law got some last weekend, but it was day time and...well...she is a horrible camera operator.

Current Sabers:

BatMike90
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -793

Dark (Knight) Side Points.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »

Great review and to the point! I usually just ramble on about things everyone knows. I enjoy the shot of your son's fave lighting up with joy!

Arsenel:
RGBW DIAMOND: Archon v3.1 / Dominicide / Graflex SE /  Guardian
V4 SOUND : Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Emperor's Hand
STUNT: Aeon v4 / Bellicose / Dark Apprentice v4 (x2) / Dark Prophecy v3 (x2) / Phantom Initiate V4 / Prophecy v3 / Renegade LE / Scorpion (x2)
Star Wars Cosplay Alias:
Merik Wolfe (Jedi Knight) / Darth Marcotus (Sith Warrior)
BatMike90's Soundfonts

DCE Digital Studio
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 11:09:43 AM »

He loves his. We put in the blade plug and he curls up with it every night. I take it away after he has fallen asleep, but it truly fills him with joy and wonder.

Current Sabers:

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 03:55:17 PM »

I'm trying to figure out how to share a picture while using my phone with no luck at the moment. I found that the most comfortable grip is my thumb and fore finger just on the blade side of the switch in the narrow channel. Maybe we are all talking of the same spot. I've used the 32" blades and a 36". Both feel fine, but with the shorter blade it ends up feeling heavier.
This weekend I will get some footage of using them both as a staff and single blade. My mother in law got some last weekend, but it was day time and...well...she is a horrible camera operator.
You and I are talking about the same spot, I do believe.  My thumb and forefinger encircle the choke point closest to the blade, and my palm and remaining fingers surround the wide part containing the switch, flowing into the choke point closest to the pommel. Then when using it two-handed, my "off" hand just naturally fits below that, closer to the pommel.

MandaloriansPride
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 60

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 01:49:18 AM »

Cool vid!

Proud Owner of:
Graflex CE w/Diamond Controller
Spectre (Black Hilt) w/Diamond Controller
Lost Gray w/Diamond Controller
Guardian w/Emerald and Obsidian v4
Spectre w/Obsidian v4
Archon v3.1 w/Obsidian v4
Consular w/Obsidian v4
Dark Shock w/Obsidian v4
Arbiter w/Obsidian v3
Shock - installed myself
12 additional Mystery Box sabers

DCE Digital Studio
Knight Lance Corporal

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 08:55:55 AM »

Thank you.  I did record reviews for the other items that we opened that night, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and edit them into something presentable.  I've been busy working on a few other projects.

Current Sabers:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: