Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Shuts off after a minute  (Read 1533 times)
Slicerjen
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: May 15, 2019, 11:23:32 PM »

I have two blades that shut off after a minute and won't power back on. When I plug in the recharge cable into the port, it acts like I just stuck batteries back in because it tells me the name of the sound bank I'm using as it starts up. The weird part is one blade has an emerald board since it's an older version and a newer blade has a diamond board. Has anybody encountered this?

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:56:55 PM »

No, I haven't. 

Pardon me for asking the simple stuff, but it's often better to get that out of the way first.  Are you absolutely positive that the batteries were 100% completely charged before you turned the sabers on?

How old are the batteries?  Is it possible that they have reached end-of-life, and they will not hold a charge any more?  It's not common for them to fail early, but all batteries will eventually lose their capacity to store energy.  (Witness Apple's BatteryGate fiasco as evidence of this.)

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Slicerjen
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 01:57:29 AM »

Coming off the charger, it does this. THEY do this.

Okay, I have an emerald blade from Aug 2016, and two diamond blades from May 2018. The emerald I noticed started doing this for the last several weeks, and now just recently one of the two diamond blades started doing this. The emerald blade doesn't give any indication something is odd, it just shuts off after a minute, and only powers back on when you plug in the recharger. One of the diamond blades, the LED starts to flicker before it shuts off. On the second diamond blade, it 'hasn't' shut off yet, but i noticed the blade starts to flicker after a few minutes of use.

All three come fully charged off the plug in charger. I have also taken the batteries out, went 100% on the lion battery charger, put them back in, same results. I'm not sure what is going on. The older blade I could rationlize getting weird, but it's the same result with 2 different generation blades, with the 3rd one seeming to head in that direction. I just received 3 other blades so I'm tempted to battery-swap and see if its just battery related or not. Can't do it tonight since I work, but I will update when I do. Worse case, I will be sending these in for repair, no matter the warranty situation, and probably cut paste this post into a repair invoice request.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 03:46:47 AM »

Thanks for the detailed answer, and for not biting my head off at the questions.

I don’t have any suggestions for you other than what you’ve mentioned— swapping batteries and then talking to UltraSabers.

Sorry I was so little help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Edon Bluewolf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1271

Light side points please

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 04:20:27 AM »

Slicer, do you have the VC2 charger:
https://ultrasabers.com/product/vc2-battery-charger-dual-slot/

Or just the regular charger:
https://ultrasabers.com/product/14500-800mah-3-7v-protected-rechargeable-li-ion-batteries-2-batteries-universal-battery-charger-combo-dual-slot/

If you read the details of the VC2, it appears to have a mode to revive dead batteries.  The regular charger does not seem to indicate the same.  I know personally that if I leave my batteries in my Emerald or Diamond sabers for more than a week it will drain my batteries.  Deep (Emory) has mentioned that if you leave your batteries in your saber for too long it will not only drain them but kill them.  US sabers do not have kill keys or deep sleep mode so they will continually suck the juice out of the batteries if left in the hilt for prolonged periods of time.  So if you have left them in your Emerald and Diamond sabers both for over a month without taking them out, then probably both sets are dead and why you are experiencing the same issue on both, they just aren't holding charge even though when on the regular charger they appear full, they immediately drain out when put in your saber for that minute.  If you have the VC2 and tried the revive mode and you have comfortably ruled out batteries being dead, then yeah reach out to customer service and get authorization to send them in for repair, but I agree with you that it is odd that both sabers exhibit the same behavior, which would imply a shared root cause.

Also read Deep's recommendation for shocking dead batteries back to life in case you don't have the VC2:

http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=14804.0

“Your focus determines your reality.” – Qui-Gon Jinn

Slicerjen
Force Sensitive

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 05:30:46 AM »

.......yeah I was about to ask, is it bad to leave batteries in the saber and hooked up to the wall charger. The only thing in common has been them sitting plugged in for long periods of time.

The vc2 is the one that has the LCD window, shows you the amount of charge as % and time left?

Slicerjen
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 05:34:53 AM »

Yes that is the vc2 I have.

99% sure I murdered the batteries. Maybe I can anakin them back, else I need to buy some more sequels and figure out how to handle them better than disney.

Will know when I swap the fresh ones in. Thankyou for the info. I love US with a passion, hurts to contemplate fault on their end.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 02:35:32 PM »

Actually, leaving the batteries in the saber with the Smart Charger (= Recharge Port charger) plugged in shouldn't be that much of a problem, as it's recommended to store the Li-Ions in a charger when not in use. I can't imagine it makes a difference if it's the Recharge Port charger or the cradle chargers (VC2 etc.)...please correct me if I'm wrong or something changed over the years!

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Slicerjen
Force Sensitive

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 01:44:41 AM »

Which is what I did.....sooooo-

***update***

Took all the new batteries from the birthday blades I got my son and niece, put them in the faulty blades...

Problem solved. I need new batteries. They last about a year it would seem for a diamond saber. The emerald's batteries lasted longer, but understandable since the diamond hardware is more demanding. I shall be buying more batteries. Thankyou for the responses. Love these blades.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 04:16:14 AM »

That's kind of what I figured. I've had a couple batteries go bad. Need to buy some myself.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 03:58:59 PM »

Buying Li-Ion batteries can be risky, so be sure to buy from a reputable source.  Many folks have been unfortunate enough to buy a brand they recognized, only to discover that the unscrupulous sellers had applied (fake) wrappers from the reputable brand on old, worn-out batteries recycled from other places, or just cheap, unprotected cells.  Neither one is a good use of your money, and both present greater risk of fire.

I would stick with buying them from US, unless you already have a reliable source for Li-Ion cells.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: