Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Non Illuminated AV Switch malfuntion  (Read 3432 times)
dpv20
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: May 16, 2019, 06:18:29 PM »

Hi i purchase a mystery box that give me a standar innitial v4 with a silver Non Illuminated AV switch, now a lot of months later and a lot of hits taken by the saber the AV switch is having a malfuntion about fake contact i think

the problem is that i cant oppen the button and no of my friends could, so we cant get what is the specific problem inside the switch, so every time i press the button i have to do it repeatedly and do it a very strong, and usually i have to hit the hilt or the blade so my saber ligths up

what can i do to repeair this problem? or how can i open the button to take a peek inside with out broken everything?
there is any youtube tutorial about this?

sorry the bad english im from chile in latin-america Smiley

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 07:34:47 PM »

Hi dpv20,

I'm afraid the AV switch can't be opened. If the switch is malfunctioning, you have to replace it.
Is your saber more than a year old? If yes, you can do the replacement yourself. Just order a new switch, gently heat the glue inside, pull the switch out, cut the wires, resolder the wires to the new switch, push the switch back in and let the glue cool down until it's solid.

If your saber is less than a year old, you should send it back to Ultrasabers for a replacement switch as the saber is under warranty and modifying the electronics will void the warranty. In this case, contact Ultrasabers via marlena@ultrasabers.com for further information about the procedure.

Hope that helps!

Racona

PS: Your English isn't that bad Wink

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

dpv20
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 07:36:24 PM »

i live in a country to far away so is not convenient to ship it back and them get it back again, where can i bougth a new switch? because i dont see it in the parts section

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 07:41:00 PM »

i live in a country to far away so is not convenient to ship it back and them get it back again, where can i bougth a new switch? because i dont see it in the parts section
Check the Electronics section.  I found illuminated Anti Vandal switches there.

Anti Vandal?  Really, THAT is what AV stands for?  I want the explanation there... I was thinking AV was a reference to Audio/Visual (like when I was in the AV club in school.. yes, I was that much of a nerd, and yes, it was that long ago).  And relax, dpv20, I don't expect you to be the one to answer that.  Smiley

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 07:53:44 PM »

Yes, you can order an illuminated switch and specifiy in the Order Comments that you want a non-illuminated switch instead. I suggest asking Marlena first (email address in my first post) if that's the correct procedure and then you can order the switch.

And yes, AV stands for Anti Vandal here. When I saw that during my first order, I couldn't figure out what Audio/Video has to do with those switches - so I thought exactly the same like you Cheesy But after thinking about it, I realized that it wouldn't make much sense here, right? Wink

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 10:36:28 PM »

And yes, AV stands for Anti Vandal here. When I saw that during my first order, I couldn't figure out what Audio/Video has to do with those switches - so I thought exactly the same like you Cheesy But after thinking about it, I realized that it wouldn't make much sense here, right? Wink
To me, Audio/Video makes LOTS of sense... the button controls the Audio functions and the Video (or at least changes in light level) effects.  Anti Vandal is what confuses me... how does that switch confound someone trying to vandalize the saber hilt?

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

dpv20
Force Sensitive

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2019, 07:04:33 PM »

i cant put an illuminated AV switch in a basic sable rigth? i need a non illuminated AV switch?

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 01:18:16 AM »

i cant put an illuminated AV switch in a basic sable rigth? i need a non illuminated AV switch?
For a no sound saber you need a latching switch. They do make latching illuminated av switches but ultrasabers does not sell them. Like Racona Nova suggested contact Marlena with customer service.
Ultrasabers does use latching non illuminated av switches in their builds but do not sell them separately on site. Marlena can probably help you get one.
Check the Electronics section.  I found illuminated Anti Vandal switches there.

Anti Vandal?  Really, THAT is what AV stands for?  I want the explanation there... I was thinking AV was a reference to Audio/Visual (like when I was in the AV club in school.. yes, I was that much of a nerd, and yes, it was that long ago).  And relax, dpv20, I don't expect you to be the one to answer that.  Smiley

Anti vandal in reference is to the fact that once the switch is installed, it can not be tampered with or vandalized/disconnected from the outside.

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 01:28:09 AM »

Sound sabers use momentary switches. Stunt sabers use latching switches.  Av switches are just the "style" of switch.  The "type" of switch you need is a latching switch.
 So you could technically use a illuminated av switch. You just need to make sure it is a "latching"  illuminated av switch.
 Hope the clears things up a little more.

dpv20
Force Sensitive

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 02:24:59 AM »

thanks for the answers guys Cheesy!!! love u all <3

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 05:11:43 AM »

Anti vandal in reference is to the fact that once the switch is installed, it can not be tampered with or vandalized/disconnected from the outside.
So... the guarded switch in/on my stunt saber can be removed from the outside?  I didn’t know that; I’ve never even tried.

Thanks for the explanation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 06:25:15 AM »

Check with The Custom Saber Shop (website) they will have the switch you need. It's under latching, AV style.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Racona Nova
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 08:10:00 PM »

So... the guarded switch in/on my stunt saber can be removed from the outside?  I didn’t know that; I’ve never even tried.

Thanks for the explanation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The guarded switches on Ultrasabers are only press-fit and can be pryed out with a screwdriver quite easily whereas the AV switches are hot-glued. Removing them is much more difficult - you need to open the saber and remove the glue before you can take the switch out. Other AV switch installs (on elevators and such) are secured in a different way, but with the same effect - you can't remove them without disassembling/destroying the whole control panel.

And you can't jam them - non-AV switches can be pressed and locked in a place where they give a constant signal, which renders the system controlled by it more or less useless. AV switches work differently, which makes them "immune" to such attempts.

And one more aspect to the Anti-Vandal/Audio-Video confusion: AV switches already existed on Ultrasabers before Emerald and Diamond came up. So calling them "Audio/Video" switches on a saber that doesn't have one of those boards is quite weird, isn't it? Wink

Sig by Master Nero

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 10:47:49 PM »

The guarded switches on Ultrasabers are only press-fit and can be pryed out with a screwdriver quite easily whereas the AV switches are hot-glued. Removing them is much more difficult - you need to open the saber and remove the glue before you can take the switch out. Other AV switch installs (on elevators and such) are secured in a different way, but with the same effect - you can't remove them without disassembling/destroying the whole control panel.

And you can't jam them - non-AV switches can be pressed and locked in a place where they give a constant signal, which renders the system controlled by it more or less useless. AV switches work differently, which makes them "immune" to such attempts.

And one more aspect to the Anti-Vandal/Audio-Video confusion: AV switches already existed on Ultrasabers before Emerald and Diamond came up. So calling them "Audio/Video" switches on a saber that doesn't have one of those boards is quite weird, isn't it? Wink
Nope, not weird at all, to me; they've ALWAYS controlled the audio (sound on/off) and video (light on/off).  But it's nice to have both the right answer and the explanation of why it's right.

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 11:12:19 PM »

@Racona Nova is correct.
 The guarded switches are pressed into place. The guarded switches do have threads on the base though. The whole switch is plastic and so the threads strip to easily to actually use. Pressing the switch into place is very secure, unless you remove it. Then the plastic lip that holds it in starts to wear down and the switch pops out. I would not recommend removing it unless you have to. Have hot glue on hand for the reinstall.

The av switches I have seen and used all had metal bases and threads. On the ultrasabers I have disassemble with av switches, there has always been a nut on the switch holding it in place. The hot glue you see is keeping the nut from loosening.  From my experience at least, that is what you should expect.  Glue, then a nut you need to loosen and remove. Then the switch should just slide out.
 Guarded switches, I just pry it out with a screwdriver as already suggested!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: