Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Steampunk Jedi  (Read 4906 times)
janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« on: May 17, 2019, 01:34:24 AM »

This is the test run of my Steampunk Jedi outfit:

In another hour, it'll be dark, and we'll try a couple more. Practising some posing tricks we learned from a panel at Comicpalooza.  These are the best of about 16 shots.

Pictured:
Grand Master black w/red blade
boots from RenBoots (those are my pirate boots)
Waistcoat and Breeches from Steampunk Emporium
Pocket watch from a shop at SPN
Steampunk Mjolnir necklace from a shop at SPN
Shirt from my closet
Flipup Sunglasses from a shop at TRF
Haori from Wolfen Skul at Comicpalooza2019
Me

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 02:28:11 AM »

the darkness photos are in:

Thanks to my wife who shot all the pics amidst mosquito bites.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:13:21 AM »

Great looking steam punk but besides the saber what else is jedi? Don't get me wrong it looks great. Maybe I'm just confused on the mash up part.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 12:18:10 PM »

Love those pictures and I like how the blade turned out as well

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 01:05:27 PM »

Great looking steam punk but besides the saber what else is jedi? Don't get me wrong it looks great. Maybe I'm just confused on the mash up part.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

it's a good question. The haori is a common piece on Jedi outfits.  As are the boots.

The trousers are a different pattern than I've seen folks wear here, but as a silhouette, they're about the same as anybody else's.

To my eye, what shifts this is the shirt and waistcoat (and hat and sunglasses). If I had on a gi and obi (and removed the stuff on my head) this would be a traditional looking Jedi, perhaps a little plain. Literally the only thing I've got different is under my haori from what you'll see on other jedi pics, and that difference is the Victorian garb.  Contrast my approach the the thread making a Cyber Steampunk outfit, and you'll see an emphasis on gadgets where I looked at clothing. Different approach.

Now could it be more jedi?  Probably.  I'd need some advice on what to add to it, but the trick is are we making a Jedi, or a steampunk jedi (i.e. a Victorian in a retro futurist setting). Over time, I'll build up a "Jedi" outfit as well. This used what I have.

This outfit came about from my "date-night" steampunk outfit, which substitutes Oxfords for my feet and a sable frock coat.  The hat, the medal on my coat, the flip-up glasses and hand guard are what shift a Victorian outfit into steaminess in a more subtle way particularly when worn out in normal society.  As opposed to my adventure mode which has got bandoleer, funky gun, and a airship waistcoat.

What inspired this outfit: I saw the Japanese garb shop at Comicpalooza, loved the haori and had a vision of this outfit.  So I bought it, the light saber and finally got to try it all together last night.  I don't know that I would wear the hat while in this configuration, but I felt something on my head would reduce the receding hairline effect on camera.

Anyway, that's my thinking on how I approached this particular cosplay.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 03:52:32 PM »

the darkness photos are in:

Thanks to my wife who shot all the pics amidst mosquito bites.
How did you get this long-exposure shot, making the blade look like an arc?  Normally, I see flicker in videos, not arcs in pictures.  (In case you can't tell, I think this looks cool.)

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 03:59:25 PM »

How did you get this long-exposure shot, making the blade look like an arc?  Normally, I see flicker in videos, not arcs in pictures.  (In case you can't tell, I think this looks cool.)

Excellent question.  This was done on my iPhone 8, basic settings after my wife got the flash turned off. I was flailing around waiting for her to get that figured out, and she took a few shots.

What caught my eye when I looked at it on the phone was it defaulted to this second of motion before freezing mode that iPhones do, which still had that wide arc we see here.  Looks cool.  So I uploaded to twitter and that's how it interpreted it (I was hoping the video effect would stick).  I think it's a function of how fast I was weaving the blade plus the lighting level causing the red to retain longer on the camera sensors.

Basically, no idea. It was dark. Stock settings. Smiley

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 04:05:56 PM »

So was this a Live Photo, then?  And you chose this frame as the key photo?  (I have an iPhone 8 Plus, so I'm VERY curious.)

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 04:42:48 PM »

So was this a Live Photo, then?  And you chose this frame as the key photo?  (I have an iPhone 8 Plus, so I'm VERY curious.)

This was the final frame of the Live Photo. We didn't do anything extra.

In my experience (and my wife is an artsy photographer with a degree in photojournalism), the effect is pretty common for a in-motion photo, particularly a moving light source.  You'll note my head is blurred a bit as I didn't hold quite still enough as my arm worked.

So I think if you did not have Live Photo turned on, setup a figure 8 motion with the lit blade, in darkness and took the photo, you'd get something similar.

Hope that helps you get some new action shots.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 06:43:30 PM »

Hope that helps you get some new action shots.
We'll see!  It'll be a while; by the time my wife gets home from teaching school right now, she's too worn out to help me with my hobbies.  Maybe in a couple weeks.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 07:10:11 PM »

Yeah, I hear ya.  I managed to finish my afterwork work early enough to dress up and take a few pics over a couple hours as the lighting changed.

Just make her dinner, rub her feet, buy her a new light saber and she'll be in the mood for dress up and some photos...

...of you swinging your light saber, of course.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »

She's not really the lightsaber type.  She's proud to be (and cosplay) a Hufflepuff, but when it comes to Star Wars, she prefers to sit back and watch me having fun.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »

She's not really the lightsaber type.  She's proud to be (and cosplay) a Hufflepuff, but when it comes to Star Wars, she prefers to sit back and watch me having fun.
Everybody is the lightsaber type...they just don't know yet. Have her mashup a Hufflepuff uniform with Jedi robes, and get her a SY blade. See? Awesome.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 06:05:26 PM »

Everybody is the lightsaber type...they just don't know yet. Have her mashup a Hufflepuff uniform with Jedi robes, and get her a SY blade. See? Awesome.
SY blade with a Dark pommel... gotta get BOTH Hufflepuff colors in there!  LOL

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 06:58:51 PM »

SY blade with a Dark pommel... gotta get BOTH Hufflepuff colors in there!  LOL
And a 16" "wand" blade Wink

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: