Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Color comparisons, specifically orange  (Read 3505 times)
BionicDance
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« on: May 20, 2019, 03:55:11 AM »

I'm thinking of buying my first saber, and I'm agonizing over my choice of color.

Before I even started looking, I knew what I wanted: orange.
But a fairly specific orange; what I really wanted was a kind of amber color. In fact, if you'll indulge me, I've done a little Photoshoppery to do my best representation of what I wanted; it's not perfect, but it's close, especially further from the hilt:

Closer to the hilt came out way yellow in this pic because of the background of the image I modified; the tip is much, much closer to what I'm after.

I've been looking at videos and pictures of both the Fire Orange and the Pyrestone Orange, but as you know, bright lights and cameras don't interact very well, don't give a very accurate representation of what you'll see in the real world. The Fire Orange tends to look very yellow in the pics and vids I've seen, and I can find very few examples of the Pyrestone Orange.

It seems that fine color customization--like providing RGB levels--isn't possible, so, I guess what I'm asking is which will come closest to my goal, FO or PO?

Thanks.

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 04:40:55 AM »

Wait and save up a little bit more money. Then just buy a diamond saber. You can never be unhappy with a diamond saber. If you think one orange is better than the other, you will change your mind a week after getting  the saber.  With the diamond saber you can just change the colors to get the exact shade of orange you are wanting. Then a week after that, change the color again. In fact with a diamond saber, you could have 16 different shades of orange for each font space.  Just trying to give you my honest opinion.  A diamond saber is the only way to go.

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 05:02:50 AM »

Also, welcome to the forum BD from SoCal!

My profile picture has four sabers. From left to right is an emerald,  diamond, a stunt and a "other guys" board.
The emerald is actually pulsing from light orange to a dark orange color. Red flash on clash. Emerald is a good saber, but why not spend a little more and just get the best saber around.
 Second from the left is my diamond saber. It is pictured running a Clockwork Orange font I made. The colors pulse from dark reddish orange through every shade of orange into yellows almost. I would show you a video but youtube keeps taking it down for copyright.
 The next is the red stunt saber. Moving on...
Last, the saber all the way on the right is the non ultrasaber one. It is red blue and green LEDs with resistors.  I have noticed that the LEDs with regular resistors can vary greatly from one another. I mean no two colors will come out exactly the same. Even low batteries can change the shade of the color in those set ups.

I wish I had only ever bought diamond sabers. I have given away almost every saber I have gotten that was not a diamond saber. Orange is a great blade color choice no matter what you decide! But a diamond saber will get you the exact color you want.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 05:35:13 AM »

KS is correct. With a Diamond or Emerald Driver you can specify an exact shade and alter the color until you're happy. With the diamond controller though, you can also change easily between pre-stored without needing to connect to a computer

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 05:47:15 AM »

If finances are an issue, a white led and color filters aren't a bad option. I would suggest tri cree led if you go that route.  Brighter is better if using color discs or filters.

Diamond though, is the best option.

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 06:34:11 AM »

Oh. Oh, my.
I didn't realize Diamond sabers could do that.

The UltraSabers site...I admit, I'm having a difficult time navigating it, and didn't quite see what everything could do, and that feature sounds pretty badass.

Money isn't a huge issue for me; a Diamond saber seems way expensive, but I can swing it. I may find myself doing it in the near future.
Thank you! Smiley

EDIT: Actually...it looks like an Emerald will do all the things I want for a lot less money.
Still, you've given me information to ponder that I didn't have before, so thank you again. Smiley

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 07:18:42 AM »

The difference in price between emerald and diamond is very small.  The difference between what they can do is amazingly drastic.  Diamond sabers are worth every penny. Emerald sabers should have their price reduced in my opinion.  Definitely do your research though. We are all different and what is good for me, might not be what you are interested in.
  Obviously I'm in love with my diamond sabers! I really just want everyone to have at least one. They really are that great.

ktulu1347
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 87

Nerd for 3 decades plus and darn proud of it

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 09:34:26 AM »

I also highly recommend Diamond over Emerald, at least if you want sound.  The small additional cost buys you an insane amount of extra functionality.  I have examples of both and really can't express enough how superior the Diamond setup is.  Just my two cents.

Also, if I'm understanding your initial message and image correctly, FO might work for you depending on the LED you end up with.  Funnily enough, I think they actually use an amber LED for that single color setup.  Might be worth grabbing a V2 stunt to try it out, because they're the cheapest and if nothing else you'd at least have one of the super awesome V2 sabers to enjoy.  Welcome to the hobby!

"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 10:49:05 AM »

Emerald or Diamond are great in that you can make any color possible with the set up. You pick between a RGBW, or RCBA (A being Amber) LED. The RGBA would be best for what you want.

As mentioned also a cheaper route is getting a AS LED and using color filters to get the color you want.

One more option with a AS LED is a colored day blade and if I'm not mistaken TCSS (The Custom Saber Shop) has a Amber day blade.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2787

Grey Assassin

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 10:52:25 AM »

After owning single LED, Tri-Cree, the Emerald Driver, and Diamond sabers, I would recommend the Diamon saber since it allows you to choose the exact color that you want with it's infinite (pun intended) amounts of color.

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 03:45:07 PM »

The difference in price between emerald and diamond is very small.  The difference between what they can do is amazingly drastic.

I only wanted one feature: custom color.
I didn't really want to change up the sounds at all; unless I was gonna go goofy and make every saber strike sound like a duck quacking (or something), movie-accurate sounds were fine.

But I watched the videos on what a Diamond saber can do and...I think I'm sold.

I'm an animator by trade, and so some of the custom ways a saber can be made to behave with a Diamond made me go, "Oooh...! I have ideas for that!"

Obviously I'm in love with my diamond sabers! I really just want everyone to have at least one.

In that case, my birthday is in December. Wink

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 03:56:52 PM »

Your color is very close to Tri-Cree Fire Orange.  Which is a straight-up amber LED.

The top saber in this photo (Dominix V5) is Fire Orange, with a tri-cree LED.  The "glow" around the blade, reflecting from the background, is actually the color the saber appears to the eye.

The lower saber is SY, and is almost a perfect match for Lee Oklahoma Yellow, which has just a slight tinge of gold to it.  Perfect SY, IMHO, but you're looking for orange.  :-)

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 04:40:12 PM »

I'm thinking of buying my first saber, and I'm agonizing over my choice of color.

Before I even started looking, I knew what I wanted: orange.
But a fairly specific orange; what I really wanted was a kind of amber color. In fact, if you'll indulge me, I've done a little Photoshoppery to do my best representation of what I wanted; it's not perfect, but it's close, especially further from the hilt:

Closer to the hilt came out way yellow in this pic because of the background of the image I modified; the tip is much, much closer to what I'm after.

I've been looking at videos and pictures of both the Fire Orange and the Pyrestone Orange, but as you know, bright lights and cameras don't interact very well, don't give a very accurate representation of what you'll see in the real world. The Fire Orange tends to look very yellow in the pics and vids I've seen, and I can find very few examples of the Pyrestone Orange.

It seems that fine color customization--like providing RGB levels--isn't possible, so, I guess what I'm asking is which will come closest to my goal, FO or PO?

Thanks.

Diamond saber is your best bet since you can tinker with the shade of the color to get your perfect saber. That being said as someone who owns a FO and a PO blade, between those two youll want FO. FO is a truly orange blade where PO is kind of a blood orange. A lot more reds in PO

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 07:14:23 PM »

In that case, my birthday is in December. Wink
You are going to fit right in, here on this forum! I can't believe I set myself up like that.
So yeah, as soon as you hand over next weeks winning lotto numbers, your new diamond saber will be on its way!!!

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 09:14:01 PM »

The top saber in this photo (Dominix V5) is Fire Orange, with a tri-cree LED.  The "glow" around the blade, reflecting from the background, is actually the color the saber appears to the eye.

Okay, that's perfect.
Thank you. Smiley

Quick question, tho...what blade is it? Ultraedge? Mid/Heavy grade?
I'm really, really close to buying my first saber, and that's the last hurdle.
Durability vs brightness; I need to find that sweet-spot, that Goldilocks zone, there, and then I'm ready.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: