Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Protection Gear  (Read 13933 times)
BionicDance
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« on: May 21, 2019, 10:38:21 PM »

Not really sure where to post this; none of the message boards seemed to be about equipping for dueling when it didn't come to the saber itself. This one seemed closest.

I'm just starting out; ordered a saber yesterday, and I have acquired some hand and forearm protection.

What I need to get next is something to protect my own personal face-bone. I needs me a helmet.

Now, if I opened up a map of Nowhere and pointed right in the middle, I'd be pointing at the nearest place that sells fencing gear, and I'm not gonna just order one; I'm not counting on getting a proper fencing mask. I need to try-before-I-buy, yanno?
Definitely not going paintball mask; those @#$%ers fog up on me.

So...what are my options? Hockey mask? Probably not a motorcycle helmet. I d'know.
What do other folks use that aren't fencing masks?

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 11:19:31 PM »

over in Questions, there's this thread on Safety Gear:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=41349.0

From my hunt for similiar answers, somebody said Paintball gear's not good enough for a whack to the head (gonna break).

Lacross pads/gloves had favorable nods, but not any kind of mask with holes you can stick your fingers in because they can stab a saber in.

Heavy Fencing mask seemed the best recommendation for head gear.

Right now, from my wood sword sparring pursuits, I have lacross gloves.  Those are nice.  Padded on the back of the fingers/hand, where a hit is going to happen.

What kind of gloves/pads did you get as seen in the picture?  Gloves look kind of like my Lacross.

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 11:28:00 PM »

over in Questions, there's this thread on Safety Gear:
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=41349.0

Oh.

The description of that sub-forum seemed to be for the sabers only.
Oh, well. My bad, I guess.

From my hunt for similiar answers, somebody said Paintball gear's not good enough for a whack to the head (gonna break).

Hmm. The San Diego Sabers group on Facebook recommended paintball gear as an alternative.
Glad I asked.

Lacross pads/gloves had favorable nods, but not any kind of mask with holes you can stick your fingers in because they can stab a saber in.

The pads and gloves I have in that picture in the OP are lacrosse gear.

I knew I wasn't going for a helmet, tho, for exactly that same reason.

Heavy Fencing mask seemed the best recommendation for head gear.

*psigh* The only place for that near me is gonna be, like, a $40 Lyft ride away. (And, no...not a $40 round-tripper. We're talkin' each way.)

Funny thing: if I put on all the safety gear I have right now--including an old set of BMX armor I have from a long time ago--I look less Jedi/Sith and more Road Warrior. Heh.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:12:08 AM »

One word: Airbrush.  Smiley

My Lacrosse gloves I got from Academy are bright white on the outer side, black/green on the underside.  Gah!

I think I can do a decent job airbrushing the white to grey or something, then go from there.  erase the brand logo, etc.

For starting, a mask with bars is still better than no mask.  My old karate headgear has a full grill (I took more precautions than the standard after getting plates in my head from a spinning kick).

Saber fighting is more slashing than thrusting, so...

PS: I think this is still a good sub-forum to have a thread about this because this is literally the group for talking about hitting each other.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 01:29:57 AM »

*psigh* The only place for that near me is gonna be, like, a $40 Lyft ride away. (And, no...not a $40 round-tripper. We're talkin' each way.)

Bummer.  Like janx says, though, SOME protection beats NO protection.

Funny thing: if I put on all the safety gear I have right now--including an old set of BMX armor I have from a long time ago--I look less Jedi/Sith and more Road Warrior. Heh.

1.  It's practice, not cosplay or official public demonstration.  You're honing your skills here, not your presentation.  What works is more important than what looks "right."
2.  So... wouldn't Mel Gibson (the Mad Max I remember) have looked SUPER cool wielding a light saber?

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 02:16:23 AM »

1.  It's practice, not cosplay or official public demonstration.  You're honing your skills here, not your presentation.  What works is more important than what looks "right."

I just thought it was funny.
I tried it all on, looked in the mirror, and had a, "Say...how 'bout that?" moment.
Everything I bought, I bought to utility; it just happened to look kinna cool when put together, is all.

2.  So... wouldn't Mel Gibson (the Mad Max I remember) have looked SUPER cool wielding a light saber?

I'd totally watch a Star Wars/Road Warrior crossover.
Heck, just set it on Tatooine, right?

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 02:23:13 AM »

If you have the internet, Amazon or eBay can deliver you a “3 weapon fencing mask” for $50-60. Do not try heavy sparring with anything else on your head.
Lacrosse gloves are good depending on the model. Red dragon gloves or rapier HEMA gloves are also great options. Moto cross jackets, although not ideal are a solid cheap option for starter body armor. I discuss the pros and cons here:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0lNWKlOJiQ&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0lNWKlOJiQ&amp;feature=share</a>

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 11:20:55 AM »

Thank you for posting the video. Very informative.  I have only been sparring against my 5 year old son so far. His strongest attack is to cup-check me while I'm sleeping. Its overly affective! I have stopped sleeping. He gets stronger every minute, as I get older and weaker. You might have just prolonged my life! At the very least, I will be optimistic about my future. For a little while!

Thank you again for posting the video. 

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2019, 10:36:54 PM »

Definitely not going paintball mask; those @#$%ers fog up on me.

So...what are my options? Hockey mask? Probably not a motorcycle helmet. I d'know.

Not paintball but airsoft masks are what i had laying around.  Of coarse my sparring partner is only five, so...

amanal
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 1

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 07:21:17 AM »

You mask is protecting a lot of vital bits of you, while what you put between you and your opponents blade may be a matter of taste I don't think you can go past a fencing mask.

BTW: you can push in the top/bottom or the left/right sides and improve the fit by pushing and pulling.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 07:27:58 AM »

https://www.icewarehouse.com/Bauer_Concept_3_Certified_Full_Shield_Junior/descpage-BC3FSJ.html

Attach that to a hockey helmet of your choice.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

AstraVlad
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 8

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 08:51:23 PM »

I personally would not recommend rapier gloves if you spar with at least _some_ force. And if you do full-speed, full-force sparring like we do, they can be totally ineffective. I use light HEMA gloves and they can not protect me from heavy hits sometimes (my fingers still remind me of today's sparring Smiley). RedDragons are the way to go according to my experience.

Also you totally can buy fencing mask "blind". There are comprehensive size tables and you can fit it for your head by bending a steel "tongue" at the back. Fencing masks are inexpensive and durable and you will not regret getting one of them.

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 09:05:10 PM »

I would like to point out that "inexpensive" is a VERY relative term.

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 09:10:33 PM »

It really is.

And I've had too many bad experiences not trying-before-buying that there is no possible way I'll get something that's gonna be more than $100 and which may not fit before I've plopped it on my noggin to check.

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 02:22:10 AM »

If you are planning on any full contact dueling, 50-60$ is NOT expensive to provide durable and reliable protection that will last many years. Most stunt sabers cost twice as much as a good fencing mask. We are talking about the most important part of your body. If this is a hobby you are interested in, it is an investment that needs to to be made. Tape measure and charts for sizing before ordering and worst case - Amazon offers free returns. I see no debate here.
I personally would not recommend rapier gloves if you spar with at least _some_ force. And if you do full-speed, full-force sparring like we do, they can be totally ineffective. I use light HEMA gloves and they can not protect me from heavy hits sometimes (my fingers still remind me of today's sparring Smiley). RedDragons are the way to go according to my experience.
Red Dragons are nice but somewhat bulky. I have not seen any sparring heavier than what we do at the Academy and Kevlar reinforced HEMA rapier gloves have kept me broken finger free for years now. I do recommend supplementing any glove you choose with fingertip protectors like these:
https://www.woodenswords.com/SPES_Fingertip_Protectors_Set_of_10_p/spes-fingertips.htm

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: