Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Internals of Guarded Switch  (Read 970 times)
Cykotic
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« on: May 22, 2019, 04:24:54 AM »

Hi, so my first saber ended up not functioning for some reason, at first I believed it to be the battery pack I kept gluing and taping back together just broke with wiring. Though now looks like it was my switch, because when I opened it, the internal spring and pieces in it fell out, I'm not quite sure how to put it back together so, if someone could please tell me how to reassemble it and bring my first saber back to life it'd be much appreciated.

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 04:51:52 AM »

Hello.

Sorry that happened to you. I personally hate guarded switches. I'm always removing them. Never fixing and replacing them. I have never seen one so disassembled.  I can go rip apart one of the many I have sitting around and try to help you figure it out! Give me a couple minutes to an hour. I'm alone with my five year old son and I'm trying to get him to fall asleep.  Then I'll help you out more!

Is your saber a Stunt or Sound saber? The switches are different and I would rather only take apart one of mine. I have both so, where do we start?

Cykotic
Force Sensitive

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 05:03:11 AM »

It's a stunt saber, the cheapest I could get.

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 05:35:04 AM »

Cool, I guessed right!  Sorry about the dark table.

Ignore the blue bottom of my switch. I didn't know it was threaded and screwed off.
Here is my "Latching" switch out of an old stunt saber.  I am not seeing the tiny spring that you have.  The metal piece you have, does it have a spring on it? 

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 05:48:31 AM »

That tiny little spring, i don't think it is a part of the switch.  It looks like the spring from a click pen.
 If you line everything else up, like in my first picture, it should all go back together with the blue cap screwed on.   Just make sure the white piece is facing the correct  way.  Smaller  side into the  switch first.

Cykotic
Force Sensitive

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 06:14:48 AM »

Thanks for all your help, the button seems to be working right now, but I can't seem to get the saber to turn on. I'm just gonna go with the idea that super glue and/or tape covered a part of the battery pack that now makes it unable to work. No wires are frayed or anything either so, that's really the only conclusion I can find.

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 06:38:37 AM »

I'm really sorry that didn't work. I would hate to be without my saber. You have my sympathy.
 I don't know how else I can help. If you think of something let me know. I'm always ready to help, or at least try!
 Did you make sure your batteries are good and charged?  I hate asking that question, but you start at the  bottom and work up.
 Batteries, wiring,  switch and then the led. That is all there really is to a stunt saber. Oh yeah, resistors or a buck pack ?  Resistors really like break right where the wire is soldered on. The buck pack or resistor should be between the switch and led. If you wiggle out the led, you should be able to see better from that side.
 I have had a wire break at the resistor and I couldn't tell because the heat shrink held and made it look intact. If the wires are close electricity can jump the small gap, but it uses up the batteries real quick.
 That's about all I can think of right now. Don't hesitate to ask for more help though. By morning a bunch of other people will probably comment with their suggestions and experiences too.
 I wish you luck and welcome to the forum!

KaiserSosay
Knight Commander

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 06:53:24 PM »

...or maybe in the afternoon.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 07:02:41 PM »

Can you show us the battery pack and LED as well? Especially the battery pack since you mentioned some fixing attempts on it. That could be a reason, just like you said. Glue or tape covering the contacts can prevent the saber from working.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: