Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How do I not blow my speaker when making soundfonts?  (Read 1913 times)
Joraan Daggoth
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 24

« on: May 23, 2019, 02:20:48 PM »

The title pretty much says it all. I'm working on a soundfont of my own design and don't want to blow my speaker on my saber. Any advice?

To me, The Force is real! Not as something that can be used as a power, no, but something that is all around us. It is the wind you feel on your skin, the color of the leaves on a tree, and the very air you breathe. Too often, we forget to stop what we are doing and just enjoy what it has given us. Look around you, young one.

The Force has given you Life!

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 10:26:31 PM »

If you are using Audacity to edit sounds there is a way. The cursor arrow is on the area you are looking for. Once you load a sound, then you can change its decibel level.  I have been using this to increase the sounds volume.  I hope that helps!

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

Droogs dont run!

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 01:19:14 AM »

Side note, I don't notice any volume difference in the Audacity program.  Once you load the sound file to your saber you will notice the difference.

I like to add spoken quotes to my saber fonts in the spin and stab category.  I increase the sound quote volume by 2. The hum sound I add to the background and reduce the volume by 1. This makes the sound flow from idle hum into the sound quote with no noticable drop in sound or breaks in the hum sound. It also makes the quotes play loud enough to actually hear over the hum sound.

Dark Path Media
Knight Captain

Force Alignment: -168

Once you start down the dark path...

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 09:14:55 PM »

A good rule of thumb with any sort of production audio in terms of output volume is just make sure you don't breach 0 dB. The problem is, for your action sounds to pop right (clash, stab, etc.), they need to be at 0 dB.

Your best friend in this situation is a good compressor/limiter. Over-using it will make everything sound crappy, but utilized tastefully, you can get good, dynamic, loud sounds without breaching 0 dB and damaging any outboard equipment, like speakers.

Ultrasabers currently owned: Archon v3.1 (Diamond) - Guardian (Diamond) - Spectre (Diamond) - Renegade (Diamond) - Fulcrum (Diamond) - Consular (Diamond) - Butcher (Diamond) - Menace SE Staff (Diamond) - Dark Graflex (Diamond) - Dark Sentinel v4 (Stunt) - Initiate v4 (Stunt, Summer Raffle Prize)

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 05:31:10 PM »

Thanks for the tips!  When I finally get my Diamond saber, I will need to know this.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: