Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Dual-Wielding  (Read 7616 times)
BionicDance
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« on: May 25, 2019, 03:56:49 PM »

So, I was thinkin' about it...how different is it to fight with two sabers vs one?

I'm not a collector; I'm buying an Ultrasaber to join a dueling club. As such, I never really intended to buy more than one lightsaber (assuming it never breaks, anyway).
But I realized that I do have one excuse to get a second: learning to fight two-handed.

Now, I admit, part of why I even want to try it is to learn to do that twirly-thing. You know the one.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMnjo4tWV6c&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=2m2s" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMnjo4tWV6c&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=2m2s</a>

I guess it's called "the flowers"...?
It just looks really cool.

Still...I'm wondering whether I should consider dual-wielding for dueling.
Anyone got a comparison description of one saber vs two for me?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:42:45 AM by Infinit01 » Logged

firehand10k
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 388

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 10:03:57 PM »

I do dual wield often and it is twice as much to think about through out the match. It also changes the overall feel of the sabers as far as balance and maneuverability go. Most of the people i duel with that also dual wield use shorter blades and go for extra speed.  I use full size 36 in blades in mine but have to be extra aware of grip positions  as having only one hand on the saber can make disarms easier for the opponent.

I keep one of each style i want to use in my dueling kit. I have a pair of Aeon V4s for dual wield, a Sentinel V4 stunt staff that will go down to one power system when i put sound in it, and a cross-guard that I've moddified into more of a great-sword form.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 10:23:46 PM »

a Sentinel V4 stunt staff that will go down to one power system when i put sound in it

You lost me on this one..."go down to one power system"?
I feel like I need context for to understand that.
Does it have multiple power systems that, for some reason, might not all be used...?

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 12:03:25 AM »

It's currently two stunts with two battery packs and two switches on a coupler. When I add sound I'm gonna make it a single 21700 battery in one hilt to power both LEDs and a single sound board and speaker. I'll use the switch hole one one hilt for the power switch and the one on the other for a recharge port. So really a staff not just two sabers put together.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 12:05:44 AM »

Ohhhhhh...okay, I definitely misunderstood.

I thought you were saying something about a defect, like a battery pack will stop working when you add sound or something.
Boy, I was way off. Heh.

firehand10k
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 12:23:46 AM »

I like to do my own wiring for dueling sabers. Get them the way i want em. That's why the staff is going down to one complete system but my cross guard  will end up getting one battery but two soundboards and speakers.

Have:
Azure Reaper
Crimson Scorpion
Aeon LE  V4 pair
Monarch
Azure Omen
Mantis
Manticore CE
Guardian
Chosen One
Graflex
Menace staff
Sentinel V4 staff
Zweihander
Shark
Bane
Brood Guard

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 01:49:41 AM »

Hello there.  As a person who's into flow art, especially with sabers, I suggest learning how to do so with one saber first and learn to use both hands separately and altogether which will help you when you start to dual wield.  You really have to train your non-dominant hand all the moves that you do on your right otherwise, it won't look as good nor will it help you in combat especially if your enemy knows which hand is the dominant

wandering-seeker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -14

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 02:20:40 AM »

Speaking when it comes to fighting/dueling with two weapons. Two full length straight blades is really tricky to do, it's easy to bind yourself up. If you want to use two weapons, either go for a pair of shorter sabers so that it's less likely you'll bind yourself. OR, find a shorter (knife length) saber. That way, you have a weapon that can be used to reinforce blocks, attack while your primary weapon binds up your opponents weapon or test their defenses while you wait to go on the proper offensive.

Sephiroth
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 01:58:29 PM »

Dual weilding and dual qualon blades are both fun but they are generally for longer saber battles. For a hands on Jedi it is easier to use one blade, I generally use one unless I'm deflecting parkons in the current situation that I'm in. There is no reason to go against what the Force of your Love is telling you to do, so heck, manifest your Shiva form and even sixteen wield. Wink.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 08:28:47 PM »

So, I was thinkin' about it...how different is it to fight with two sabers vs one?

I'm not a collector; I'm buying an Ultrasaber to join a dueling club. As such, I never really intended to buy more than one lightsaber (assuming it never breaks, anyway).
But I realized that I do have one excuse to get a second: learning to fight two-handed.

Now, I admit, part of why I even want to try it is to learn to do that twirly-thing. You know the one.

https://youtu.be/UMnjo4tWV6c?t=2m2s

I guess it's called "the flowers"...?
It just looks really cool.

Still...I'm wondering whether I should consider dual-wielding for dueling.
Anyone got a comparison description of one saber vs two for me?
Tactically it offers a tremendous advantage having two points of offense, one offense and one defense, or two for defense. I once went staff to staff in a duel, but then used a quick-connect coupler to go Jar Kai, and my opponent admitted after, that the sudden change up completely threw her off and she lost...quickly. #dirtysithtricks

The downside is that you'll have significantly less strength available per blade (especially if you are using full length, and even more so using HGs). Plus, depending on what hilt you use, you're going to use up strength moving the weight of the hilt.

So the pro/con of dual wielding all falls down to what are you willing to lose for the gain? Long blades require torque, so they get pushed around easy, but short blades don't reach and bring you closer to danger.  Undecided

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

wandering-seeker
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: -14

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 09:28:19 AM »

The downside is that you'll have significantly less strength available per blade (especially if you are using full length, and even more so using HGs). Plus, depending on what hilt you use, you're going to use up strength moving the weight of the hilt.

So the pro/con of dual wielding all falls down to what are you willing to lose for the gain? Long blades require torque, so they get pushed around easy, but short blades don't reach and bring you closer to danger.  Undecided

The other issue is that coordinating two blades well enough to overlap them in combat requires a lot of training.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 10:42:57 AM »

Embedded the video

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 02:56:38 PM »

The other issue is that coordinating two blades well enough to overlap them in combat requires a lot of training.
Not necessarily "a lot". Think of the sabers as extensions of your arms. You wouldn't need extensive training to use two fists in a fight.

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

Golden Fedora
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 564

The Grey Prophet

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 05:08:07 PM »

most of the "training" would be what Infinit said, you have to learn to use both hands equally well, this could also be a help in single blade fighting by being able to switch you lead grip to trick up your opponent. I can say from firsthand experience that switching the grip you use can be a real benefit in a duel

"Easy is the path to wisdom for those only not blinded by themselves."

-Broadside

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 06:13:48 PM »

Dual-wielding takes a tremendous amount of coordination and spacial awareness for me. Not just with hands and weapons, but footwork, posture, balance and tracking opponent’s weapon(s) at the same time. I’ve been training more with regular saber + shoto recently and I really have been enjoying all options it opens up- similar to what Logos said with both points at your disposal. In learning to coordinate parries and attacks, I’ve found it more important to focus on moving the weapons in complement to each other rather than training up the off hand separately (as is essential in flow arts)- but that may just be the way my mind works. Here I am in a recent dual/duel- this one kind of turns into a chess match with lots of solid parrying and only a few good kills. Let me know what you think of my style and approach to dual-wielding and if yours is different.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUF9AIWc4Io&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUF9AIWc4Io&amp;feature=share</a>

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: