Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Dual-Wielding  (Read 1207 times)
AnonoftheSea
Force Sensitive

Force Alignment: 0

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 12:34:29 AM »

While I've yet to find someone to play the glow sticks with, I can tell you, based on years of escrima, that you do have to train with both at once. you can train with your off hand to improve your single-stick skills, but if you want to get better at moving both hands around at once, you gotta move both at once.
You do, in fact, need training to use them, you can think of them as extensions of your arms all you want, but it took you the first several years of your life to figure out how to use those things. not to mention that being able to move your arms and being able to fight with them are very different things. There is a very large training gap between even a bad boxer and someone who took a boxing course in college.
I may be biased, but look up escrima double stick drills. Very pretty when using a saber, and excellent for practice.
And, really, if you're going double, cut down to a shorter blade; longer blades are just too clumsy to learn with or control with one hand, you'll get better faster with something that lets you really work on control. That said, reach is important in a fight, so don't go so short you can't close.

Bob Loblaw
Knight Lieutenant

Force Alignment: 49

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 01:55:28 PM »

While I've yet to find someone to play the glow sticks with, I can tell you, based on years of escrima, that you do have to train with both at once. you can train with your off hand to improve your single-stick skills, but if you want to get better at moving both hands around at once, you gotta move both at once.
You do, in fact, need training to use them, you can think of them as extensions of your arms all you want, but it took you the first several years of your life to figure out how to use those things. not to mention that being able to move your arms and being able to fight with them are very different things. There is a very large training gap between even a bad boxer and someone who took a boxing course in college.
I may be biased, but look up escrima double stick drills. Very pretty when using a saber, and excellent for practice.
And, really, if you're going double, cut down to a shorter blade; longer blades are just too clumsy to learn with or control with one hand, you'll get better faster with something that lets you really work on control. That said, reach is important in a fight, so don't go so short you can't close.

Well said my friend. 100% agreement. Do you prefer Light side or Dark side points?

obliviondoll
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: -18

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 02:56:03 PM »

Musashi Padawan commented about using "regular + shoto", and this is a good alternative to shortening both blades. Also, incidentally, an equivalent to the more famous Musashi's style of dual-wielding in Japan. The European dual-wielding styles also commonly involve a dagger or shortsword in the off hand with a longer main hand weapon. It's particularly common for European styles to emphasise the use of the main hand weapon as the "weapon" and to almost treat the off-hand weapon as a "shield" with only occasional strikes of opportunity using it. One short blade and one long is a lot less "clumsy" than trying to dual-wield a pair of equally long blades, but doesn't sacrifice reach like you do when cutting both blades down. Even in the hands of an inexperienced/untrained person, a shorter off-hand weapon is much less awkward than trying to take a pair of full-length blades. Dual shorter weapons can be easier to learn, but the gap between short/long and short/short isn't nearly as big as trying to run a pair of long blades.

V^^^V
It's not about rage, it's about *emotion*. Happiness is the Dark side, and I will face you with a smile.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: