Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Obsidian vs. Emerald  (Read 3831 times)
ShadowyKnight
Knight Sergeant

Force Alignment: -10

The Cat King [Give Dark Side Points!]

« on: May 29, 2019, 02:47:15 PM »

I really want my second saber with sound or the emerald driver, and I can't decide. Please help and give your opinions and recommendations.

Nothing can't be counted, and nothing too.

My collection (which is depressing, hoping to add to it)
~Dark Initiate LE v5 stunt DVA

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 03:51:15 PM »

Save a bit more money and get Diamond instead Wink You won't regret it!

I have an Emerald w/ Obsidian v3, but if Diamond would've been available at that time, I would've chosen that. Emerald is cool, but you always need a PC to change its colour. Same with the Obsidian v3, you always need a PC for changing the sound fonts.

Diamond lets you combine your favourite sound fonts with your favourite colours, and it lets you switch between them on-the-fly! Not to mention volume changes on-the-fly, if you need to mute it temporarily without switching to the actual mute font and all the other features that Diamond offers.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Ken at Sunrise
Knight Ensign

Force Alignment: 16

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 08:06:48 PM »

I agree with above posts. If you ever want a variety of sounds and/or colors the Diamond is a good buy. If you don't need the changes then don't do it, but otherwise I like it. If you have more that one saber, each can have its own sound and color.  On the other hand if you grab one you can change the color, and its sound, fairly easily. No PC, no memory card.

Always try to do what is right.

ShadowyKnight
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 11:20:53 PM »

Diamond is a bit expensive, though. Will send pics of whatever I get, though!

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 180

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 01:51:12 AM »

The diamond is about $30-40 more than the Emerald, but worth it if you want color AND sound options.

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

ShadowyKnight
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 03:37:19 AM »

Grin Ya know what? US wouldn't produce diamond controllers if they thought we couldn't get them. All in for me!!!

I will take a while to get it, though.  Cry

Malik Thanewulf
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -488

Grey Jedi with MAJOR Sith-like tendencies

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 07:04:42 AM »

ShadowyKnight, I  get how you feel. I only have 1 Diamond controller saber  (Emperor's Hand), and I am still learning how to use it. I'm NOT A TECH PERSON, AT ALL! I may get at least one emerald driver saber with sound. But the fact is (for me) I want my sabers to stay the way I designed them. If I want the option to change colors, I go with quick disconnect. It's cheaper but still gives me some options.  If you're unsure, save up and wait for a sale or a raffle. That way, if you go for the Diamond, you may qualify for some freebies.

My Collection: Monarch CE

Wish list:  maybe a Sword of Omens (not sure which color)

ShadowyKnight
Knight Sergeant

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 02:13:25 PM »

If you're unsure, save up and wait for a sale or a raffle. That way, if you go for the Diamond, you may qualify for some freebies.

Good idea. Thank you!

SparHawk ByA
Knight Lance Corporal

Force Alignment: 6

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 07:21:08 PM »

The diamond is about $30-40 more than the Emerald, but worth it if you want color AND sound options.

I agree if your going to go for sound Diamond is the way to go. Its only $40 more than emerald. Here is a list of cost for sound in addition to just the saber itself

Basic Sound is about $100 You are locked to a single color LED
Premium Sound is $140  You are locked to a single color LED
Emerald Sound is $275  You can change the color of your LEDs
Diamond Sound is $315  You can change the colors of LEDs and have more onboard memory to store sound files

Sabers so far:
Aeon LE V5 (Diamond Fire Orange)
Initiate V4 w/Windows (Blazing Red)
Dark Initiate LE V4 W/Windows (Emerald Green)
Aeon V4 w/Windows (Obsidian Lite Arctic Blue)
Dominix LE V4 w/Windows (Obsidian Lite Blazing Red)
Remnant (Neopixel)
Frankensaber (Obsidian Lite Guardian Blue)
Baby Frankensaber (Consuler Green)
Crimson Fallen (Obsidian Lite Fire Orange)

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 08:10:59 PM »

I agree if your going to go for sound Diamond is the way to go. Its only $40 more than emerald. Here is a list of cost for sound in addition to just the saber itself

Basic Sound is about $100 You are locked to a single color LED
Premium Sound is $140  You are locked to a single color LED
Emerald Sound is $275  You can change the color of your LEDs
Diamond Sound is $315  You can change the colors of LEDs and have more onboard memory to store sound files

One "low cost" option:   Obsidian Lite with an Adegan Silver (white) LED.   You can use Lee Filter swatchbook swatches to cut filters to get a lot of good colors.  There are several threads on the forum that will give filter ID and one or two layers.

This can be a great way to get sound and have some color options on a tight budget, but its not as good as Diamond.   If you can afford it you won't be disappointed.   For me, though, the money is usually not there for Diamond so I have gotten a couple of sabers now with AS LEDs and lite sound.

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 08:24:26 PM »

One "low cost" option:   Obsidian Lite with an Adegan Silver (white) LED.   You can use Lee Filter swatchbook swatches to cut filters to get a lot of good colors.  There are several threads on the forum that will give filter ID and one or two layers.

This can be a great way to get sound and have some color options on a tight budget, but its not as good as Diamond.   If you can afford it you won't be disappointed.   For me, though, the money is usually not there for Diamond so I have gotten a couple of sabers now with AS LEDs and lite sound.
I have one saber with Adegan Silver, and it's a stunt saber.  I have only the color discs supplied by US, because the Lee filter books have not yet arrived. 

The amount of fun I have had with only those discs and no sound is surprising, so what Karmack is talking about has to be an absolute blast!

For those of us whose skill with scissors peaked around age 5, where is a good place to find a 1" hole punch, so that the circles cut from the Lee filters will actually look like circles?

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 09:52:55 PM »

For those of us whose skill with scissors peaked around age 5, where is a good place to find a 1" hole punch, so that the circles cut from the Lee filters will actually look like circles?

Amazon, ebay, local arts/crafts store, school supply store, etc. 

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 09:54:51 PM »

Amazon, ebay, local arts/crafts store, school supply store, etc.
They're THAT easy to find?  COOL! Thanks for the tip... I'll have to hit the local craft store and peruse their wares.

EDIT:  Oh, now that I've seen a picture of some of them, I will start by checking out my wife's scrapbooking supplies.  Woot!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 09:58:06 PM »

They're THAT easy to find?  COOL! Thanks for the tip... I'll have to hit the local craft store and peruse their wares.

EDIT:  Oh, now that I've seen a picture of some of them, I will start by checking out my wife's scrapbooking supplies.  Woot!

Some of them are quite cheap, about $6. Just depends on the application and thickness of the material to be cut.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: