Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Return of the Saber Doodles  (Read 99564 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2019, 05:45:57 PM »

What I'm saying is if the energy is dispersed over a wider area like a flat blade (especially if we're talking lightfoils) a small strike would likely burn. Not saying that it couldnt dismember, it would just require more "force" heh.

That would make for interesting handling characteristics, as the edge becomes important for its ease in cutting and you could purposefully strike with the flat to avoid a killing blow if you desired.  Not unlike a real sword blade.   Though any strike from a plasma blade would leave at the very minimum a nasty burn.   

But yeah, I could see that happening.   It would have to be a really light, pulled strike though.  As Logos pointed out, any forceful strike would penetrate even with the flat, barring something exotic like cortosis weave armor or song steel plate or some other lightsaber-resistant material... 

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2019, 05:47:04 PM »

That would make for interesting handling characteristics, as the edge becomes important for its ease in cutting and you could purposefully strike with the flat to avoid a killing blow if you desired.  Not unlike a real sword blade.   Though any strike from a plasma blade would leave at the very minimum a nasty burn.   

But yeah, I could see that happening.   It would have to be a really light, pulled strike though.  As Logos pointed out, any forceful strike would penetrate even with the flat, barring something exotic like cortosis weave armor or song steel plate or some other lightsaber-resistant material... 

Oh to be sure it would cause damage, but instead of an arm flying off im more imagining a chunk of seared flesh.

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -2765

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2019, 06:13:07 PM »

What I'm saying is if the energy is dispersed over a wider area like a flat blade (especially if we're talking lightfoils) a small strike would likely burn. Not saying that it couldnt dismember, it would just require more "force" heh.
The problem with that notion is that the power of the beam is coming from the crystal, not the emitted field. The field may have diminished power along the broad face from being oddly shaped, but the cutting energy is is released when the field is interrupted. So no matter which direction you swing from, the blade will cut.

BUT, if anything, the emitted field should be weakest at the "edge". I envisioned the emitter to resemble an orifice roughly shaped like a cat's pupil.

Considering that the overall blade is lower power than a Jedi saber, I suppose it could be possible to achieve the desired effect. And since the tip would effectively be the absolute weakest point (no pun intended) in the field, the weapon would be most effective when stabbing.

There, now you have convincing fictional science to explain how your laser sword works. Wink Grin (WIN)

Sig by For Tyeth
...the Force shall set me free.

Arsenal: (* w/ sound)
Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2019, 06:15:45 PM »

Mechanics aside, this is what I came up with.

Def inspired by Ashoka's sabers but as I drew it out, the hilt was taking a Katana-like curve so i rolled with it and ended up with a more Eastern theme.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2019, 06:37:06 PM »

The problem with that notion is that the power of the beam is coming from the crystal, not the emitted field. The field may have diminished power along the broad face from being oddly shaped, but the cutting energy is is released when the field is interrupted. So no matter which direction you swing from, the blade will cut.

BUT, if anything, the emitted field should be weakest at the "edge". I envisioned the emitter to resemble an orifice roughly shaped like a cat's pupil.

Considering that the overall blade is lower power than a Jedi saber, I suppose it could be possible to achieve the desired effect. And since the tip would effectively be the absolute weakest point (no pun intended) in the field, the weapon would be most effective when stabbing.

There, now you have convincing fictional science to explain how your laser sword works. Wink Grin (WIN)

LOGOS WINS!    :-)

Makes sense.   You could even say that the fact that the emitted field does NOT rupture, causing the plasma cut, could be what results in a bad burn and relatively minor damage compared to an edge impact or tip impact....

Nicely done!   POINT!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2019, 06:43:03 PM »

Not a bad explanation. I like. Point awarded!

OK, not only do I like this design but the name for it--"Makashi Master"--just...brilliant, simply brilliant  Cheesy
Allow me to reiterate: these are beautiful!  Something about them elicits me of my own childhood ideas of Jedi sabers whenever my friends and I would play "Us-the Star Wars People" (how's that for cringe-worthy  Grin).  Anyhow--and like any smart kid  Wink--I WANTED to have a lightsaber, often times stealing my dad's flashlight while attaching a colored PVC pipe to it, happily smacking anything that came within proximity (...and getting me into trouble, naturally  Wink).  LONG STORY SHORT: these awesome pics remind me of that time  Grin
As an avid sword collector, I really like the gladius you included.  However, I really enjoyed your explanation for the flatblade saber.

Points gentlemen  Smiley

Thanks for the compliments! And yeah when it comes to names I have an amusing affinity for artistic alliteration  Wink

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2019, 07:23:48 PM »

LOGOS WINS!    :-)

Makes sense.   You could even say that the fact that the emitted field does NOT rupture, causing the plasma cut, could be what results in a bad burn and relatively minor damage compared to an edge impact or tip impact....

Nicely done!   POINT!
Although, now that I think about it, emitter fields do not give off heat. This was an old explanation somewhere. So therefore, a side strike might physically push, but wouldn't burn. Undecided

Sig by For Tyeth

Scorpion*(BR)  Emerald Mantis CE* Chosen One*(BR)  Shock LE*(FO)  Archon V2.1*(CG)  Dk Prophecy(BR){Thanks Qui-Lar}  Menace CE staff*(BH) Flamberge CE*(BR)  Initiate LE V2(BR)
Dk Initiate V3(CG)  Manticore CE*(SY)  Dominix LE V3(AB)  Bellicose*(GB)  Dk Arbiter*(VA)  Dominix V4(BR)  Emperor's Hand*(DVA)  Aeon V4(GB)  Dk Initiate V4 (HP)  Project:BOOYA!

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2019, 07:06:36 PM »

Re-did cringey 'ol Nimrai.

I gotta say its this kind of re-do that makes me happy I've actually improved.

He used to be kind of an OP power trip character that had nothing cool about him, though after thinking on it, i liked the idea of a Dark Jedi using illusion abilities. Specifically, Nimrai only wields a single shoto saber as a weapon  Wink

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2019, 04:18:03 PM »

So I've been in a Chinese Military History fix lately and I've been thinking.

Where I'm aware an advantage of lightsabers is their ability to cut from any direction, it would interest me tosee what people would think of a single-edged sabre? Specifically, lets say the single edge could be more potently charged than a full blade, giving it greater cutting power against lightsaber-resistant materials such as Beskar? I know y'all love greatswords, and I was thinking if I married all these ideas and made a lightsaber based on the Chinese Zhanmadao, it could be really interesting. For clarification, the Zhanmadao is a single-edged, long-hilted, two-hander anti calvary sword.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #204 on: November 11, 2019, 08:38:15 PM »

So I've been in a Chinese Military History fix lately and I've been thinking.

Where I'm aware an advantage of lightsabers is their ability to cut from any direction, it would interest me tosee what people would think of a single-edged sabre? Specifically, lets say the single edge could be more potently charged than a full blade, giving it greater cutting power against lightsaber-resistant materials such as Beskar? I know y'all love greatswords, and I was thinking if I married all these ideas and made a lightsaber based on the Chinese Zhanmadao, it could be really interesting. For clarification, the Zhanmadao is a single-edged, long-hilted, two-hander anti calvary sword.

Keeping up with the flat blade ideas, and expanding on the Zhanmadao idea, I present the Lidao

For this one, it was as much about the reason behind the saber as the saber itself. Okay why would a lightsaber (one that already an odd design with a flat blade) be single-edged? I could just hear Logos in the distance shouting WHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY. So i thought given that a lightsaber blade is effectivley and energy circuit what if there was both an emitter and a receiver with the distance in between being covered in "energy repeaters" to keep a confined energy circuit with much higher power than a traditional blade? The result was my so-dubbed "Dual-Channel Emitter Thread". When powered off, the tang of the blade still maintains a physical edge, and the Emitter thread is sharp to a point, making a semi-efficient thrusting weapon even when facing off against opponents that might not warrant a lightsaber.

All well and fine, but who would use this frankenweapon? I imagined a Jedi Temple, forgotten by all but its' inhabitants who through Schisms and Wars remained unaffected through its' remoteness. The Guards and Masters there having generations to hone, adapt, and perfect both their understanding of the Force itself, as well as martial skills. Though few in number, anyone to challenge the Temple's masters would be brazen at best.

Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2019, 10:37:14 PM »

Keeping up with the flat blade ideas, and expanding on the Zhanmadao idea, I present the Lidao

For this one, it was as much about the reason behind the saber as the saber itself. Okay why would a lightsaber (one that already an odd design with a flat blade) be single-edged? I could just hear Logos in the distance shouting WHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYY. So i thought given that a lightsaber blade is effectivley and energy circuit what if there was both an emitter and a receiver with the distance in between being covered in "energy repeaters" to keep a confined energy circuit with much higher power than a traditional blade? The result was my so-dubbed "Dual-Channel Emitter Thread". When powered off, the tang of the blade still maintains a physical edge, and the Emitter thread is sharp to a point, making a semi-efficient thrusting weapon even when facing off against opponents that might not warrant a lightsaber.

All well and fine, but who would use this frankenweapon? I imagined a Jedi Temple, forgotten by all but its' inhabitants who through Schisms and Wars remained unaffected through its' remoteness. The Guards and Masters there having generations to hone, adapt, and perfect both their understanding of the Force itself, as well as martial skills. Though few in number, anyone to challenge the Temple's masters would be brazen at best.

PS, this would be a great weapon for Cantors to carry - a lost sect of blade-masters who were once charged with guarding the Mak-Tor sacred sites on and under the Spire.   The Dual-Channel emitter thread could be a pre-Jedi form of lightsaber tech that the Mak'tor refined without input from the Jedi, and which was mostly forsaken when the Mak'Tor were incorporated into the Jedi Order after the re-establishment of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.  But perhaps there is a small sect somewhere (M'Tzigon, maybe?  Or perhaps elsewhere?) where the technology and techniques of enhanced battle song are still taught and incorporated with their massive and impressive weapons....

If you're so minded, of course.   I wouldn't appropriate your design without permission of course!   :-)

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2019, 05:42:13 PM »

It might surprise you to know that if you can explain it well enough, I usually accept the concept, even if the implementation seems a little stretched.

Last night I actually conceived of a reasoning behind the "thin blade" concept. I surmised that if a saber hilt has controls to adjust blade length, why not also have controls for blade width. I started to consider that a reduced blade thickness actually had greater energy concentration and therefore have a greater ability to cut, even through some materials that have innate resistance properties such as cortosis. But this strength would also come at a cost, primarily reduced ability to deflect, and require greater strength/ mental clarity on the part of the wielder.

This being said, I actually don't see an issue with the way you've designed this. It looks you've given it a drastically extended emitter shroud, which I assume is critical to how it forms the single edge, and possibly even a flat blade. I'm envisioning something akin to the melee beam weapons used in Gundam Wing. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a "Dual-Channel Emitter Thread".

Sig by For Tyeth

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2019, 08:57:58 PM »

It might surprise you to know that if you can explain it well enough, I usually accept the concept, even if the implementation seems a little stretched.

Last night I actually conceived of a reasoning behind the "thin blade" concept. I surmised that if a saber hilt has controls to adjust blade length, why not also have controls for blade width. I started to consider that a reduced blade thickness actually had greater energy concentration and therefore have a greater ability to cut, even through some materials that have innate resistance properties such as cortosis. But this strength would also come at a cost, primarily reduced ability to deflect, and require greater strength/ mental clarity on the part of the wielder.

This being said, I actually don't see an issue with the way you've designed this. It looks you've given it a drastically extended emitter shroud, which I assume is critical to how it forms the single edge, and possibly even a flat blade. I'm envisioning something akin to the melee beam weapons used in Gundam Wing. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a "Dual-Channel Emitter Thread".

I just knew this one was a liiittle bit of a stretch. The name is mostly fluff that sounded good. Had a moment to sit down and give thought to the component name and I came up with "Linear Emitter Array".

Also...heh...I...uh....I've never watched gundam.

PS, this would be a great weapon for Cantors to carry - a lost sect of blade-masters who were once charged with guarding the Mak-Tor sacred sites on and under the Spire.   The Dual-Channel emitter thread could be a pre-Jedi form of lightsaber tech that the Mak'tor refined without input from the Jedi, and which was mostly forsaken when the Mak'Tor were incorporated into the Jedi Order after the re-establishment of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.  But perhaps there is a small sect somewhere (M'Tzigon, maybe?  Or perhaps elsewhere?) where the technology and techniques of enhanced battle song are still taught and incorporated with their massive and impressive weapons....

If you're so minded, of course.   I wouldn't appropriate your design without permission of course!   :-)

I post my designs public for a reason! I'd be honored to have it included!  Grin

Darth Logos
Sith Legend
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Peace is a lie...

« Reply #208 on: November 12, 2019, 09:43:04 PM »

I just knew this one was a liiittle bit of a stretch. The name is mostly fluff that sounded good. Had a moment to sit down and give thought to the component name and I came up with "Linear Emitter Array".
That works even better. So am I correct in how I interpreted the function of your design?

Also...heh...I...uh....I've never watched gundam.
Hey, it's your loss. Giant robotic war machines with weapons that make the Death Star look like a bb gun. What's not to love?

Would there be any incentive if I told you the primary beam weaponry are sabers?

Sig by For Tyeth

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #209 on: November 12, 2019, 09:46:54 PM »

That works even better. So am I correct in how I interpreted the function of your design?

Hey, it's your loss. Giant robotic war machines with weapons that make the Death Star look like a bb gun. What's not to love?

Pretty close yeah, I imagined since the Zhangmadao is used as an anti-Calvary sword, I could imagine the Lidao being used against speeder bikes and light tanks without giving ground effectively. A very offensive weapon.

My problem is for whatever weird reason I could never quite get behind mechs as a concept.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: