Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Return of the Saber Doodles  (Read 100838 times)
Karmack
Forumverse Loremaster
Master of Ceremonies
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1152

Light side points please.

« Reply #435 on: December 22, 2020, 04:28:39 PM »

In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium...there are only lightsabers.

In all seriousness though, I have a soft spot for Warhammer 40k, and the "Disgust" concept was based on the Skitarii of the Adeptus Mechanicus. A charming group of hyper-religious cyborgs who have open and deep-seated disgust and disdain for their own organic bodies - hence their predilection to replace much of it with cybernetics.

For reference:

Wow.   Kinda takes "If thy right hand offends thee, cut it off and cast it away..." to a whole new level....

signature picture by DarthScrub

Master Singer of the Mak'Tor

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #436 on: December 22, 2020, 04:43:13 PM »

Wow.   Kinda takes "If thy right hand offends thee, cut it off and cast it away..." to a whole new level....

Indeed, the Mechanicus are a....special group.

But enough of Warhammer! Star Wars adaptations of historically significant weapons await!

The Flamberge (or more accurately, the Flammenschwert) was historically used as Zweihander-type weapon famed for its "flame-blade" that could cause grievous wounds that were far harder to heal / recover from. Now obviously, a lightsaber wouldnt necessarily benefit from a wave-shaped blade, however I thought it would be interesting if certain blade conditions could otherwise replicate the appearance. I decided on a unique combo of a flat unstable blade. The instability effect partially reminiscent of Kylo's but the "pulsating" waveform mostly taken from the Force Unleashed II's unstable crystals.

With the flat blade being traditionally Mandalorian in design, combined with the need for two guards as per the design of most Flamberges, I thought Beskar would make a fitting material for the metal of the hilt and guard. This also makes it an interesting parallels to my previous Beskar Breaker, which was designed to cut through the Mandalorian metal using a similar Zweihander-based design. The design here is unquestionably Sith, perhaps an ancient Dominus of Mandalore? That one I leave up to you.

If you are curious where the idea of a Sith with a Flamberge came from, look up the "Warmonger" hero from the game For Honor on youtube. Not gonna link it here cause that game is a bit visceral , and I wanna keep with forum guidelines.

And lastly I do apologize for the slight decrease in quality - I havent drawn in almost a full month thanks to work going into overdrive. Just wanted to let yall know I havent forgotten about you!  Grin

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #437 on: December 24, 2020, 09:02:30 AM »

Indeed, the Mechanicus are a....special group.

But enough of Warhammer! Star Wars adaptations of historically significant weapons await!

The Flamberge (or more accurately, the Flammenschwert) was historically used as Zweihander-type weapon famed for its "flame-blade" that could cause grievous wounds that were far harder to heal / recover from. Now obviously, a lightsaber wouldnt necessarily benefit from a wave-shaped blade, however I thought it would be interesting if certain blade conditions could otherwise replicate the appearance. I decided on a unique combo of a flat unstable blade. The instability effect partially reminiscent of Kylo's but the "pulsating" waveform mostly taken from the Force Unleashed II's unstable crystals.

With the flat blade being traditionally Mandalorian in design, combined with the need for two guards as per the design of most Flamberges, I thought Beskar would make a fitting material for the metal of the hilt and guard. This also makes it an interesting parallels to my previous Beskar Breaker, which was designed to cut through the Mandalorian metal using a similar Zweihander-based design. The design here is unquestionably Sith, perhaps an ancient Dominus of Mandalore? That one I leave up to you.

If you are curious where the idea of a Sith with a Flamberge came from, look up the "Warmonger" hero from the game For Honor on youtube. Not gonna link it here cause that game is a bit visceral , and I wanna keep with forum guidelines.

And lastly I do apologize for the slight decrease in quality - I havent drawn in almost a full month thanks to work going into overdrive. Just wanted to let yall know I havent forgotten about you!  Grin

Looks pretty good to me, concept behind it is great too, can see people running in the opposite direction of anyone carrying that beast.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #438 on: December 25, 2020, 04:29:11 AM »

I'm now definitely a fan of Psycho Sith's work. Glad I noticed this thread, and looked through it a bit... I haven't seen your older hidden/buried works but I had thought I would draw out a concept sketch I had in mind for a few months. You inspired me to contribute, and put my design out there (even though I know it is nowhere near the level of your attention to detail.) I originally planned to only show it off after building my prototype (since I have looked a bit extensively and don't think there exists a similar design yet?). This is my own adaptation of the planned weapon inspired by US. I'm thinking I'll define the weapon type as lightsaber halberd, since I like that as the best description overall at the moment.

1st sketch of: Vi'kas iv qormuo kesmas

Meant to be a similar weapon to a saberstaff, or something I've seen for the first time online today (double checking I wasn't purely duplicating an existing idea unintentionally) the cross saber? They'd both have a relatively similar fighting style to what I'd envisioned. But like my saberstaff I'd see this as a whole weapon that can become two on the fly.
The axe head being made of beskar, and fashioned in the shape of a Sith symbol: the Black Sun. Basically being one giant emitter/weapon in it's own right. This accomplishing several things deflecting enemy lightsabers as almost a shield when wielded in Jar' Kai, it can still be used to cut through materials only lightsabers could with it's tip, but also beskar Mandalorian armor or other lightsaber resistant armor with the sheer force/puncturing of the axe tips & blade edges, and worse yet dismembering foes through chopping them up/ bloody gashes left wide open. Meant to inflict grievous harm without cauterizing like lightsabers do. Purposefully leaving victims suffering in agony but dying, with their pain and fear fueling the user's Dark Side rampage exponentially as they lay waste across a battlefield.
The other hilt is a standard lightsaber with a very long blade, closer to the 40" US blade inserted. So the full weapon gives the user a lot of reach, but separated a full length lightsaber. It's emitter having 2 protruding small blades (also likely beskar) so even unignited it can be used for stabbing, then you can ignite the blade and cut free of the target if it gets "hung up" in there or simply to instill terror in those watching.

Envisioned as a weapon crafted for a "Darth Maul" trained category of warrior, more Sith Berserker than anything else and fashioned in the old Sith Empire. Most likely for one who was a slave but proved skilled and effective to the point their connection to the Force was noticed. Then they were given the "honor of higher service" and trained as more than cannon fodder, actually trained in the lightsaber arts. So yeah, that's the basics of the design concept, fighting style, and character I'd have wield it. Viewing it as something my persona would have created, given to a worthy servant, and reclaimed for personal use after that servant's inevitable demise. But having been crafted for "a chosen one of promise" is where the name and design details started: translated as Prophet of Endless Suffering. It's truly meant to be a weapon for the middle of a chaotic battlefield, swung in any/all directions and fighting multiple opponents at once.

I know that's a lot, but I wanted to put everything out there with the initial drawing before improving it further.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #439 on: December 25, 2020, 03:21:29 PM »

I'm now definitely a fan of Psycho Sith's work. Glad I noticed this thread, and looked through it a bit... I haven't seen your older hidden/buried works but I had thought I would draw out a concept sketch I had in mind for a few months. You inspired me to contribute, and put my design out there (even though I know it is nowhere near the level of your attention to detail.) I originally planned to only show it off after building my prototype (since I have looked a bit extensively and don't think there exists a similar design yet?). This is my own adaptation of the planned weapon inspired by US. I'm thinking I'll define the weapon type as lightsaber halberd, since I like that as the best description overall at the moment.

1st sketch of: Vi'kas iv qormuo kesmas

Meant to be a similar weapon to a saberstaff, or something I've seen for the first time online today (double checking I wasn't purely duplicating an existing idea unintentionally) the cross saber? They'd both have a relatively similar fighting style to what I'd envisioned. But like my saberstaff I'd see this as a whole weapon that can become two on the fly.
The axe head being made of beskar, and fashioned in the shape of a Sith symbol: the Black Sun. Basically being one giant emitter/weapon in it's own right. This accomplishing several things deflecting enemy lightsabers as almost a shield when wielded in Jar' Kai, it can still be used to cut through materials only lightsabers could with it's tip, but also beskar Mandalorian armor or other lightsaber resistant armor with the sheer force/puncturing of the axe tips & blade edges, and worse yet dismembering foes through chopping them up/ bloody gashes left wide open. Meant to inflict grievous harm without cauterizing like lightsabers do. Purposefully leaving victims suffering in agony but dying, with their pain and fear fueling the user's Dark Side rampage exponentially as they lay waste across a battlefield.
The other hilt is a standard lightsaber with a very long blade, closer to the 40" US blade inserted. So the full weapon gives the user a lot of reach, but separated a full length lightsaber. It's emitter having 2 protruding small blades (also likely beskar) so even unignited it can be used for stabbing, then you can ignite the blade and cut free of the target if it gets "hung up" in there or simply to instill terror in those watching.

Envisioned as a weapon crafted for a "Darth Maul" trained category of warrior, more Sith Berserker than anything else and fashioned in the old Sith Empire. Most likely for one who was a slave but proved skilled and effective to the point their connection to the Force was noticed. Then they were given the "honor of higher service" and trained as more than cannon fodder, actually trained in the lightsaber arts. So yeah, that's the basics of the design concept, fighting style, and character I'd have wield it. Viewing it as something my persona would have created, given to a worthy servant, and reclaimed for personal use after that servant's inevitable demise. But having been crafted for "a chosen one of promise" is where the name and design details started: translated as Prophet of Endless Suffering. It's truly meant to be a weapon for the middle of a chaotic battlefield, swung in any/all directions and fighting multiple opponents at once.

I know that's a lot, but I wanted to put everything out there with the initial drawing before improving it further.

Okay so first I wanna say that YES I am very happy to see other contributions to this thread!

Second YES! I love this design. I’ve played around with a light Halberd/Polearm a few times but never made it work enough to be happy with it - you did what I couldn’t! The incorporation of a physical axe blade also really helps the “beserker” feeling. Point! (When I get back to my laptop - can’t give points on mobile)

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #440 on: December 25, 2020, 05:44:12 PM »

Okay so first I wanna say that YES I am very happy to see other contributions to this thread!

Second YES! I love this design. I’ve played around with a light Halberd/Polearm a few times but never made it work enough to be happy with it - you did what I couldn’t! The incorporation of a physical axe blade also really helps the “beserker” feeling. Point! (When I get back to my laptop - can’t give points on mobile)

Thank you for the encouragement, I always loved art but lacked the results I could ever be happy with... no matter how much time and effort it always seemed impossible to physically synthesize what I see in my mind on whatever medium in the physical realm to a level I found satisfying. With age I suppose I've simply said F it, do what you can in limited fashion and just go from there, Rome wasn't built in a day style.

I just had the idea from parts and a desired style of movement, almost like your "scrap queen" IRL partly in action. The idea of like a siege/crowd control weapon with a Sith screaming "Bring it Jedi, I'll kill you all!" like Maul always craved, but able to amid the crazy full scale warfare of old. The big thought of crushing through armor (ironically like your beskar breaker, without knowing of it 1st), but mainly a nasty "long side" sweep at knee/shin level immobilizing opponents and naturally finishing the motion stabbing/slamming down the halberd axe tip into their torso in ruthless efficiency. It just in concept was such a fun and sadistic weapon I couldn't help sharing it once I found this topic. Your work and enthusiasm really bolstered my own into true action.

This GIF I found best describes the feeling you've give this Xmas

I appreciate such a gift.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #441 on: January 15, 2021, 04:17:23 AM »

So here is my slightly more detailed version of the sketch on my Lightsaber Halberd Vi'kas iv qormuo kesmas: since I finally got around to doing it in a bit more detail. I tried to show them separated and a bit closer to how I intended, while messing around with shading the sketch in a bit overall. Not crazy upset with the result "as is" for the moment, although I had no intention of double posting; I was moderately surprised PS hadn't released anything yet in the new year... I'd of course be happy to hear his or FT's opinions since they are artists whom I respect and feel could offer the best constructive opinions/criticisms. But everyone else is obviously free to comment as well, as desired/should they choose to, upon the design.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #442 on: January 15, 2021, 06:04:41 AM »

So here is my slightly more detailed version of the sketch on my Lightsaber Halberd Vi'kas iv qormuo kesmas: since I finally got around to doing it in a bit more detail. I tried to show them separated and a bit closer to how I intended, while messing around with shading the sketch in a bit overall. Not crazy upset with the result "as is" for the moment, although I had no intention of double posting; I was moderately surprised PS hadn't released anything yet in the new year... I'd of course be happy to hear his or FT's opinions since they are artists whom I respect and feel could offer the best constructive opinions/criticisms. But everyone else is obviously free to comment as well, as desired/should they choose to, upon the design.

Looking real good! I like how you keep the Halberd design inspiration while also giving it the utility of a saberstaff.

And I’ve got some ideas for my first 2021 saber percolating but I haven’t decided on an idea yet. Was thinking something along the lines of High Republic but dark side? Maybe something elegant and high-style from the “bad guys”

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #443 on: January 15, 2021, 07:25:57 AM »

And I’ve got some ideas for my first 2021 saber percolating but I haven’t decided on an idea yet. Was thinking something along the lines of High Republic but dark side? Maybe something elegant and high-style from the “bad guys”

That sounds great, since many Sith are so ostentatious in their affluence or seemingly avaricious. Wealth, prestige, and power do tend to comingle, and many Sith can't have enough of any of it. It sounds like an exceptionally good base concept, it's especially thought provoking for me already, and best of luck rendering it to your satisfaction.

Looking real good! I like how you keep the Halberd design inspiration while also giving it the utility of a saberstaff.

Thanks, that was always the original idea, for it to be a "unique" yet familiar weapon. Then when separated to be very different weapons entirely. Old world savagery on the one hand that rises into higher tech brutality, yet far reaching destruction in the other which defends the old ways and the user in pure offense... The whole thing being relatively symbolic while keeping with "the best defense is a good offence" where even your "shield" is a weapon. Glad you enjoy the concept, I can't wait to piece together my first version (when funds permit).

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #444 on: January 15, 2021, 07:49:20 AM »

Hmm, Interesting.....I can't promise anything as my current laptop isn't as fast as my old one that crashed but I do have this I have knocked up  Roll Eyes

Give me a week and hopefully I'll have somethng a bit more finished.

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #445 on: January 15, 2021, 08:52:29 AM »

Hmm, Interesting.....I can't promise anything as my current laptop isn't as fast as my old one that crashed but I do have this I have knocked up  Roll Eyes

Give me a week and hopefully I'll have something a bit more finished.

That's terrible to hear FT, sad to hear that your computer met such a tragic end! But by all means, a profound thank you for rendering my design at all. It's seriously appreciated, that's the highest praise I could hope for. It'll be awesome to see it fully in a 3D render, I won't even slightly complain about that...throw it on the back burner as long as needed since I'm in no rush. Heck I like seeing just the axe head emitter already done in such a way. In fact you honor me, so again thank you For Tyeth; you're the best.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #446 on: February 19, 2021, 05:22:34 AM »

Hmm...more art is needed.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #447 on: February 19, 2021, 07:34:43 PM »

Something more....tech based this time. Some aeronautical influences. Imagined a Toroidal Spike as a way to increase efficiency of the blade, perhaps cutting a bit easier. Also it looks cool.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #448 on: February 24, 2021, 06:12:59 PM »

Something more....tech based this time. Some aeronautical influences. Imagined a Toroidal Spike as a way to increase efficiency of the blade, perhaps cutting a bit easier. Also it looks cool.

Beautiful work, PS!  Yeah, I can see the aerodynamic influence to this hilt (wonderful details)!

...Reminds me of the Gamilon energy cannon in Pluto base from "Star Blazers" (yep, I'm THAT old  Wink)

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

DarthRondoudou
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -294

Dark Side points preferred when earned, thx.

« Reply #449 on: February 24, 2021, 06:16:46 PM »

I love this design!!!
The grip section is it T-Grips or more like windu's grip?

Owned :
* Black Empress Emerald, Fire Orange with Pyrestone Orange FOC
* Spectre Emerald, Sentinel Yellow Adegan Silver FOC
* Guardian GB nickel plated shroud AB FOC
* Initiate LEV5 Blazing red/red illuminated AVswitch
* Dark Initiate LEV5 SRD/green illuminated AVswitch
* Emperor's Hand BVA/VA BH FOC
* 2 x windowed initiate v4 (silver + red)
* Liberator v3 arctic blue
* Dark sentinel LEV5 yellow / Sentinel LEV5 VA
* Dominix VA
* Fallen Azur, LE and Crimson pixel
* Initiate V2 GB
* Sentinel LEV4
* Frankensaber FO
Wishlist :
Menace SE BR x2
Butcher LE AS
Please someone stop m

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up