Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Down
Author Topic: Return of the Saber Doodles  (Read 100976 times)
PsychoSith
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -372

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2019, 01:16:07 PM »

Hey all!

Got a couple things for you. First off, I've been playing a LOT of Ace Combat lately, and thus inspired todays sketch of the Razgriz.

Now here's the REALLY fun bit. For Tyeth took upon himself the project of rendering the Altenweg II and did nothing short of a phenomenal job!

All credit for those renderings to For Tyeth (obviously).

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 08:23:53 PM »

Hey all!

Got a couple things for you. First off, I've been playing a LOT of Ace Combat lately, and thus inspired todays sketch of the Razgriz.

This is gorgeous!  Incredibly elegant design, I LOVE the wings!  Scratch that: I love the ENTIRE saber!!

Now here's the REALLY fun bit. For Tyeth took upon himself the project of rendering the Altenweg II and did nothing short of a phenomenal job!

All credit for those renderings to For Tyeth (obviously).
Wow!  WOW!!  WOW!!!  OK, I have always maintained that FT is an amazing artist...but this goes BEYOND that!  This collaboration between you two: PHENOMENAL!!  This is EXACTLY why I love Fan-created work(s) so much!

Gentlemen: my compliments to you both!!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 08:26:01 PM »

Looking good.  The RazGriz is definitely unlike other designs, a more delicate, artful look.  I could see River Song in a murder ballet with that thing.

Also, nice renderings of AltenWig by FT

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2019, 01:31:31 PM »

This is gorgeous!  Incredibly elegant design, I LOVE the wings!  Scratch that: I love the ENTIRE saber!!
Wow!  WOW!!  WOW!!!  OK, I have always maintained that FT is an amazing artist...but this goes BEYOND that!  This collaboration between you two: PHENOMENAL!!  This is EXACTLY why I love Fan-created work(s) so much!

FT really did the heavy lifting here - his skills in blender are really somethin. I just penned a doodle  Grin

Looking good.  The RazGriz is definitely unlike other designs, a more delicate, artful look.  I could see River Song in a murder ballet with that thing.

Also, nice renderings of AltenWig by FT

I can see it. Firefly and Serenity dont get enough love.

Lord_S_Gray
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 428

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2019, 03:27:09 PM »

Totally agree, very nice realisation of the doodle, a very unique sabre for sure, FT really captured how bright and sleek it is - great job both of you.

Lord_S_Gray

Surik: "Kreia, what are you—are you a Jedi, a Sith?"
Kreia: "Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole."

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2019, 11:52:48 PM »

Totally agree, very nice realisation of the doodle, a very unique sabre for sure, FT really captured how bright and sleek it is - great job both of you.

Hi Janx, Lord_S_Gray and TheDutchman, thanks for the kind comments on "my work" but I was only responsible for the renders and making Altenweg II a 3D model, the design and credit belong to PsychoSith for his original beautiful vision.

Also I need to say thanks to Lord_S_Gray for hinting at the idea that I make a render.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »

Got two more for y'all today.

The Chimera, made from Blaster components

And the Astartes, because why should Space Marines be left out of the fun?

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2019, 04:42:53 PM »

I like the Chimera's ergonomic grip and the gritty fins.  Also reminds me of a Zippo lighter.

The Astartes cross-guard aligns with some thinking I've had since you started posting these.

The core problem with Kylo Ren's saber is that in real life, crossguards were meant to catch the saber, but in all cases, if the opponent's saber slid down the blade, it wouldn't do it's job.

The angled bits certainly reduce the risk of self-chopping a wrist. 

Take a ponder at a configuration that enables the prongs to properly catch a blade in the crease.  perhaps a tighter V or X.

I'd like to see what you come up with.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2019, 04:56:05 PM »

I like the Chimera's ergonomic grip and the gritty fins.  Also reminds me of a Zippo lighter.

The Astartes cross-guard aligns with some thinking I've had since you started posting these.

The core problem with Kylo Ren's saber is that in real life, crossguards were meant to catch the saber, but in all cases, if the opponent's saber slid down the blade, it wouldn't do it's job.

Take a ponder at a configuration that enables the prongs to properly catch a blade in the crease.  perhaps a tighter V or X.

I'd like to see what you come up with.

Thought of that myself. There are plenty of examples of perfectly perpendicular crossguards so Kylo's doesn't bother me too much - however I am a fan of the V shaped crossguards as you can see. Been wanting to do more sketches involving crossguards so i'll take your suggestions into account Smiley

For Tyeth
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1557

I Survive through the Force.

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2019, 05:42:39 PM »

Hi PsychoSith,

Congrats on another nice pair of sabers, and a nice nod to the armed forces around the galaxy!
Crossguards do have limitations because they don't catch and bind a blade like a steel edge but Kylo did adapt using the feature - using the quillion to inflict injury on Finn when close up.

And hello janx, I have made a few V and X guards and the problems still persist (well in real life designs because we need to find space in the hilt to place the LED modules whereas in the SW Universe they don't have that problem) However if you'd like to see my takes on the V cross guard and X-Guard (I hope you don't mind PsychoSith) I'll leave a few links to my models.

New Asguard (V cross Guard)
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=40017.msg711168#msg711168

Throne Room Saber (X-Guard)
http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=40017.msg711168#msg711168

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your next postings. Point inbound.

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2019, 06:06:20 PM »

Hi PsychoSith,

Congrats on another nice pair of sabers, and a nice nod to the armed forces around the galaxy!
Crossguards do have limitations because they don't catch and bind a blade like a steel edge but Kylo did adapt using the feature - using the quillion to inflict injury on Finn when close up.

Thanks for saying so! Also might do another hilt before th day is out. Really thinking hard on crossguard designs and how one might make them work best on a saber

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2019, 02:32:22 PM »

Hey all! Sorry I didnt get this posted yesterday, but I had gotten busy and also wanted to take my time with this one.

Following our conversations regarding x-guards, I wanted to create a saber that was primarily a practical weapon to wield.
I think I succeeded,

Meet the Crusader

So to review a few of the highlights here, this is a double-handed hilt with vertical grips for better orientation control on the xguard. Xguard has rear-facing shrouds so the user can use rest their hands on the choke comfortably without burning fingers, while also exposing the saber in the front for catching the opponents blade. Forward choke is placed to allow single handed use if needed, also the position of the longer "pressure" switch you've seen on a few of my designs, to ensure ignition control while single handing. Power indicator placed on the power matrix housing. Pommel ring for storing.

The real pride here is the "bladecage". On the xguard shrouds and emitter, you'll see a cage-like structure. This would be a cortosis "blade cage" that is kept out of contact with the important components of the saber, being mounted on the outer housing. For any who might not know, cortosis in Star Wars is a brittle metal alloy that can temporarily short-out lightsabers on contact with the blade. This is used here in the x-guard and emitter to catch then subsequently de-activate your opponents blade, leaving them defenseless for either a riposte, or forced surrender.

Whew! Think I covered everything. Let me know what you guys think / ideas you'd like to see!

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2019, 03:17:12 PM »

Cortosis is a clever idea.  Definitely handy to have at any of the corners/tsuba where a blade might slide down and damage the hilt itself.

I think this design covers the safety and the "real sword fighting" factors I had in mind.  Well done!

Also, it looks great.

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2019, 03:26:24 PM »

Hey all! Sorry I didnt get this posted yesterday, but I had gotten busy and also wanted to take my time with this one.

Following our conversations regarding x-guards, I wanted to create a saber that was primarily a practical weapon to wield.
I think I succeeded,

Meet the Crusader

So to review a few of the highlights here, this is a double-handed hilt with vertical grips for better orientation control on the xguard. Xguard has rear-facing shrouds so the user can use rest their hands on the choke comfortably without burning fingers, while also exposing the saber in the front for catching the opponents blade. Forward choke is placed to allow single handed use if needed, also the position of the longer "pressure" switch you've seen on a few of my designs, to ensure ignition control while single handing. Power indicator placed on the power matrix housing. Pommel ring for storing.

The real pride here is the "bladecage". On the xguard shrouds and emitter, you'll see a cage-like structure. This would be a cortosis "blade cage" that is kept out of contact with the important components of the saber, being mounted on the outer housing. For any who might not know, cortosis in Star Wars is a brittle metal alloy that can temporarily short-out lightsabers on contact with the blade. This is used here in the x-guard and emitter to catch then subsequently de-activate your opponents blade, leaving them defenseless for either a riposte, or forced surrender.

Whew! Think I covered everything. Let me know what you guys think / ideas you'd like to see!
Wow PS, I REALLY like this hilt!  The cortosis construction is a nice touch (and like you said: the properties of the ore make for an excellent defensive measure  Wink).  Brilliant: the design is reminiscent of a Scottish claymore  Grin  I love the attention to detail (I can't even draw stick figures  Wink).

With the past examples of cross-guard sabers, I wanted to make a suggestion (since you and For Tyeth have the design/visual skills  Grin): I'd love to see a truly dedicated two-handed heavy saber (think in line with a German Zweihänder).  Something from the New Sith Wars (or similar provenance) where hand-to-hand was commonplace.  

Anyhow: yet another wonderful saber (just my opinion: your best yet) PS!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

PsychoSith
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2019, 03:28:39 PM »

Wow PS, I REALLY like this hilt!  The cortosis construction is a nice touch (and like you said: the properties of the ore make for an excellent defensive measure  Wink).  Brilliant: the design is reminiscent of a Scottish claymore  Grin  I love the attention to detail (I can't even draw stick figures  Wink).

With the past examples of cross-guard sabers, I wanted to make a suggestion (since you and For Tyeth have the design/visual skills  Grin): I'd love to see a truly dedicated two-handed heavy saber (think in line with a German Zweihänder).  Something from the New Sith Wars (or similar provenance) where hand-to-hand was commonplace.  

Anyhow: yet another wonderful saber (just my opinion: your best yet) PS!

I do enjoy Zweihanders....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 32   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: