Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Trying to find a (Generic) Jedi costume  (Read 28793 times)
Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 12:40:07 AM »

side question: what's the deal with these clubs?  I don't know much about them other than the 501st gets on stage during Wierd Al's encore and I hear the clubs are as picky about costumes as the SCA is about Garb.

It's because they have permission to represent characters on behalf of Lucas Films (hence Lucas Films Licensed) so there's a certain level of quality that's required because you're representing them. It's become more strict, from what I understand, since Disney bought Lucas Films... Fun fact though, I know one of the Stormtroopers who was in the Miami Weird Al Concert last week! He's working on a Palpatine right now and is going to be joining the Saber Guild Dagobah Temple (South Florida) once his Palpatine is finished and he gets a red combat grade saber.

501st has been around the longest and is the most popular, so it's the one most people know about. The "Big 5" (Big 6 if you count the Droid Builders) are "The 501st Legion," "Rebel Legion," "Saber Guild," "Dark Empire," and "The Mandalorian Mercenaries Club." Rebel Legion generics are some of the easiest standards though. It's easy to have a generic Jedi be approved for RL but not SG. I'm not in RL, so I don't know how picky they are about fabric weight/texture. They're more picky about hilts though. RL requires screen accurate hilts for Face Characters and no face character hilts for generic Jedi (or for anyone other than that specific face character, really). Saber Guild is less picky for design. They just require the right blade color and hilt "style" (i.e. Maul needs to have A red staff, Obi-Wan needs to have A blue single saber, Kylo needs to have A red cross guard, etc.) as long as they're combat ready (Saber Guild is the only "performance" group of the 5, so you're expected to perform fight choreography in your costume and have a saber that can withstand it)

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

Maestro Jones
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 180

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 12:44:18 AM »

side question: what's the deal with these clubs?  I don't know much about them other than the 501st gets on stage during Wierd Al's encore and I hear the clubs are as picky about costumes as the SCA is about Garb.
I understand the 501st having strict requirements.  Stormtroopers (depending on the classification) should all look alike; officer uniforms should all look alike.  After all, it representing a militaristic organization.  I get it with the rebels in regards to pilots and other ranking officers.  I also get it when it comes to representing specific characters with specific looks.  I don't really get it with the Jedi or Sith (with the exception for specific ones).  While there are some commonalities to each Jedi's or Sith's attire, no two are really alike.  Even the fabrics vary.  I think as long as you are not straying away from the SW look and are not combining genres or franchises (no Klingon Jedi for example) you should be able to wear what you want from whatever vendor you want to come up with your own Jedi or Sith character.

Household US Arsenal:
# = STUNT; % = OBSIDIAN LITE; ~ = OBSIDIAN V4; * = DIAMOND
Mine:
# Dark Apprentice LE v4: BR; # Dark Sentinel LE v4: TRI BR; # Dominix v3: PO; # Dorinian: TRI AB; # Frankensaber - BR; # Initiate v2: GB; # Liberator v3: TRI CG; % Archon 3.1: TRI CG; ~ Consular: TRI CG; ~ Dark Initiate LE v5: TRI FO; ~ Guardian: TRI GB; * Menace; * Monarch

Wife’s:
# Aeon V2: VA; # Dominix V2: BH; # Initiate V2: GB; # Prophecy v3: TRI GB; ~ Graflex SE: TRI GB; ~ Spectre: TRI GB; * Fulcrum; * Lost Grey

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 12:59:45 AM »

I understand the 501st having strict requirements.  Stormtroopers (depending on the classification) should all look alike; officer uniforms should all look alike.  After all, it representing a militaristic organization.  I get it with the rebels in regards to pilots and other ranking officers.  I also get it when it comes to representing specific characters with specific looks.  I don't really get it with the Jedi or Sith (with the exception for specific ones).  While there are some commonalities to each Jedi's or Sith's attire, no two are really alike.  Even the fabrics vary.  I think as long as you are not straying away from the SW look and are not combining genres or franchises (no Klingon Jedi for example) you should be able to wear what you want from whatever vendor you want to come up with your own Jedi or Sith character.

I agree to some extent..... but I've also seen really bad fabrics that make me understand why fabric quality is a concern at all. TBH, from personal experience, a lot of time it's the actual judge that's more strict than the standard. There's A LOT of variety in what's approvable for generic Jedi and Sith in terms of style. The biggest concern is fabric quality. There's a lot of range in types of fabric that is approvable too (more than most people realize), but thin polyesters (many of which are partially see through even) are not, which is what mass-produced costumes are typically made from. If you get the fabric yourself, you can quite easily build approvable Jedi fabric parts for $50-$100 depending on size and style. Leather bits cost a bit more, but even faux leather is more expensive than fabric.

That being said, concepts are good! Do you have a concept drawing for what you'd like the finished product to look like?

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 01:03:58 AM »

Thanks for the explanation Revan!

I imagine all the groups want movie-set ready appearance.  So no out of setting fabrics, etc.

Sounds like the SG would be interesting (as I'm interested in using my saber), but maybe they prefer On-Screen characters rather than self-made ones. Maybe I misread that.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 01:24:01 AM »

Thanks for the explanation Revan!

I imagine all the groups want movie-set ready appearance.  So no out of setting fabrics, etc.

Sounds like the SG would be interesting (as I'm interested in using my saber), but maybe they prefer On-Screen characters rather than self-made ones. Maybe I misread that.

My pleasure! Yes, all the groups are expected "movie quality" since they're representing Lucas Films.

Heavier weight cotton is easy to find and perfectly approvable. Linen is another good one, hopsack, twill, canvas, muslin, suiting fabric, silk noile, tusseh silk, duck fabric, osnaburg, crinkle gauze, tapestry fabric, monkscloth..... There are lots of options.

And NOPE! Most people play completely original characters. SG has a few requirements some of the other groups don't, but those have to do with safety for performance setting (mostly hem lengths, boot lifts and heel heights, saber durability, mask and eye cover visibility, etc.). They actually use the standards from either 501st or RL respectively for any Face Characters. Face characters also can only be in a show if it makes sense in terms of timeline for them to be there (i.e I can't have my Bastila in the same show that my temple-mate has their Kylo Ren).

There are I think 4 different Temples in Texas, so you can probably find one close to you. A lot of the bigger temples even have costume makers among them who are often willing to take commissions to do custom builds for people. I'm only an amateur at leatherworking, but I have a full kit, so I'm helping one of my temple mates make a belt and some other leather bits for her Jedi. I'm trying to convince her to do some leather tabards because she wants to do "Olive" for her color and I have a giant thing of olive leather dye from my star Forge robes because it was the only size I could find for the shade I wanted XD

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2019, 07:21:11 PM »

I've been looking at FFAO so far and am also checking out another seller on Etsy that might also work. I figure I can get by with some cheaper belt/boot items from Amazon and upgrade over time. I just finished some purchased 3D printed food capsules. So I'm on my way. I really want to check out the local SG temple so I can swing my beatiful custom US builds. I even created a cool looking effect on one of my blades with some silicone caulk.

Why did I choose such an expensive hobby?!? :-o

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 02:29:13 AM »

I've been looking at FFAO so far and am also checking out another seller on Etsy that might also work. I figure I can get by with some cheaper belt/boot items from Amazon and upgrade over time. I just finished some purchased 3D printed food capsules. So I'm on my way. I really want to check out the local SG temple so I can swing my beatiful custom US builds. I even created a cool looking effect on one of my blades with some silicone caulk.

Why did I choose such an expensive hobby?!? :-o

If you're looking at SG too, I would probably follow their standards rather than RL since there's more color limitations. Any of the neutral color fabrics (ones not listed as microfiber) from Far Far Away are approvable. Me and some of my Temple Mates use them. I believe Endor is your local Temple. There are some great people there Cheesy I'm friends with some of their members.

EDIT: Sorry, No! Your Temple would be Corellia! Also great people there, though I know them less well.

ThreadJack
Lady of the Order Aeon
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 807

Truly, she will be strong- A luminous being is she

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 04:51:45 AM »

I'm planning on doing a Nomi Sunrider costume for Saber Guild, which is essentially a green skirt and a crop top. LOL. But I need to make a couple slight modifications for safety. Namely the skirt needs to be quite a bit shorter than what the RL standards actually call for, due to a floor length one posing safety issues. I'm doing it myself, despite having no sewing skills whatsoever.

(Sig by me!)
Now accepting dark side points.

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 05:40:35 AM »

I'm planning on doing a Nomi Sunrider costume for Saber Guild, which is essentially a green skirt and a crop top. LOL. But I need to make a couple slight modifications for safety. Namely the skirt needs to be quite a bit shorter than what the RL standards actually call for, due to a floor length one posing safety issues. I'm doing it myself, despite having no sewing skills whatsoever.

Yup! Ankle length is recommended rather than floor. My Revan Hakama skirt is actually a little shorter than the suggestion in the 501st Guidelines for that reason. Star Forge Robes are already suggested at ankle length thankfully, but I'm adding slight pleats to allow for a wider skirt range for better movement.

Also, Hand sewing skills aren't super difficult to pick up, but sewing machines are the devil >.<

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2019, 02:22:56 AM »

II'm rying to get my gumption up and make it down rthe Garden State Parkway to the Corellia SG temple. Sounds fun.

Currently looking into a store on Etsy called Kenicky's. Good price if its approvable. Trying to confirm before I commit.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2019, 11:18:37 PM »

II'm rying to get my gumption up and make it down rthe Garden State Parkway to the Corellia SG temple. Sounds fun.

Currently looking into a store on Etsy called Kenicky's. Good price if its approvable. Trying to confirm before I commit.

Always good to do that! One RL requirement I know for generic Jedis that doesn't apply to SG is you need 2 pouches (SG only requires one but recommends 2) so I would still make sure you get the 2

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2019, 03:04:36 AM »

Always good to do that! One RL requirement I know for generic Jedis that doesn't apply to SG is you need 2 pouches (SG only requires one but recommends 2) so I would still make sure you get the 2

Ordered a belt on amazon today (I know...I know) It comes with the food capsules AND pouches…it's pleather and I'll eventually upgrade but it's a start.

Also, heard back frome one of the reviewers from Kenicky's on Etsy and said his robe was approved…TThat's here I will head $80 for the upper half of the uniform! Again a good start. I hope

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2019, 09:44:06 PM »

Ordered a belt on amazon today (I know...I know) It comes with the food capsules AND pouches…it's pleather and I'll eventually upgrade but it's a start.

Also, heard back frome one of the reviewers from Kenicky's on Etsy and said his robe was approved…TThat's here I will head $80 for the upper half of the uniform! Again a good start. I hope

Link me? My generic Jedi has the same but the place where I ordered on Amazon doesn't sell them anymore and a friend was asking lol. Heads up, you'll probably have to stitch the edges of the pouches so that there are no gaps. It's easy enough to do by hand with no previous skills/experience, but you'll need a leather needle to do so because of the thickness of the vinyl.

Are you referring to the robe or outer tunic? robes are typically optional. Attached are pics of my approved generic Jedi with the belt in question and both with and without robe (attaching in an edit because the forum is being stupid and my post hasn't gone through 3 times now).

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1765

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2019, 11:16:25 PM »

cool

Ultra
Lord Commander
Administrator