Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Author Topic: Trying to find a (Generic) Jedi costume  (Read 29109 times)
mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2019, 10:47:57 PM »

Well, I think this is going to be filed under either "I told you so" or "You get what you paid for".

I received my outfit from Kenicky's on Etsy today.

First impression: It's ok...Since it is my first Jedi costume, I need a few days to figure out what goes where and add the appropriate velcro (included) to the strategic locations that are necessary. The overall appearance seems decent but I definitely should have asked for a much different material than what I ended up with...imagine a Jedi outfit made out of suit-pants material (that's on me...I had no clue). Once I get the outfit squared away...it may end up working out better than I am thinking. I'll let you all be the judge. Tabards are 2 pieces and basically rectangular in nature fitting over the shoulders. The Obi feels a bit short but has a longer fabric belt that goes over top before the leather belt is added. The undertunic dicky just plain sucks...

All of this being said: I will post more when I get the full outfit assembled.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1106

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2019, 02:43:44 PM »

Well, I think this is going to be filed under either "I told you so" or "You get what you paid for".

I received my outfit from Kenicky's on Etsy today.

First impression: It's ok...Since it is my first Jedi costume, I need a few days to figure out what goes where and add the appropriate velcro (included) to the strategic locations that are necessary. The overall appearance seems decent but I definitely should have asked for a much different material than what I ended up with...imagine a Jedi outfit made out of suit-pants material (that's on me...I had no clue). Once I get the outfit squared away...it may end up working out better than I am thinking. I'll let you all be the judge. Tabards are 2 pieces and basically rectangular in nature fitting over the shoulders. The Obi feels a bit short but has a longer fabric belt that goes over top before the leather belt is added. The undertunic dicky just plain sucks...

All of this being said: I will post more when I get the full outfit assembled.
Sorry to hear that, mrg149.  But you're not wrong; sometimes it's better to pay a little more for better quality.  Of course, if you have the talent/patience/prerogative you could always make them yourself (I have NO creativity in that regard, I butcher stick-figures so there's NO WAY in creation that I could possibly make my own tunics and robe; the ensemble that I got looks good but I definitely understand if people would rather spend that money on a less frivolous purchase).  I'm reminded of the trifecta of cosplay: between having your costume be good, fast, and inexpensive, you can only have two of them at a time.

That said: I'm eager to see your own ensemble when you're ready  Smiley

Best of luck for you sir!

Sig courtesy of DarthScrub

Cataphract Triarch of the Vhal'Dan

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »

Sorry to hear that, mrg149.  But you're not wrong; sometimes it's better to pay a little more for better quality.  Of course, if you have the talent/patience/prerogative you could always make them yourself (I have NO creativity in that regard, I butcher stick-figures so there's NO WAY in creation that I could possibly make my own tunics and robe; the ensemble that I got looks good but I definitely understand if people would rather spend that money on a less frivolous purchase).  I'm reminded of the trifecta of cosplay: between having your costume be good, fast, and inexpensive, you can only have two of them at a time.

That said: I'm eager to see your own ensemble when you're ready  Smiley

Best of luck for you sir!

I've done a little bit of fitting this morning before heading out to work and adding some strategic velcro. It may not be RL approved (I'll still try) but it did help a lot in getting things together. The dadgum tabards will require more velcro since they kept popping off my shoulder like a wild Woolimander...that's a project for after work today. So....there is hope. Pics soon.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2019, 06:30:25 PM »

I've done a little bit of fitting this morning before heading out to work and adding some strategic velcro. It may not be RL approved (I'll still try) but it did help a lot in getting things together. The dadgum tabards will require more velcro since they kept popping off my shoulder like a wild Woolimander...that's a project for after work today. So....there is hope. Pics soon.
I hear you; that's one of the details that I'm glad that I asked for: metal snap buttons sewn into the bottom of the tabards that affix to the shoulder.  I did have to add on some velcro to the obi but it was extremely secure afterwards.  Here's a pic:

My sabers:Zearic's Aldrnari, Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, AS; Zearic's shoto, Apprentice v4 w/Obsidian, AS; Graflex SE w/Obsidian, GB; Archon v3 (modded w/ activation box) w/Obsidian, CG; Dark Sentinel v4 w/Obsidian, BR; Sentinel LE v4 w/Obsidian, GB; Initiate v5 w/Obsidian, AS; Sentinel LE v4 stunt, EG; Aeon LE v4 stunt, FO; Dominix v4 stunt, BR; Aeon v3 stunt, SY

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2019, 07:23:37 PM »

I hear you; that's one of the details that I'm glad that I asked for: metal snap buttons sewn into the bottom of the tabards that affix to the shoulder.  I did have to add on some velcro to the obi but it was extremely secure afterwards.  Here's a pic:

I know this is all part of the learning process. Failure is our greatest teacher.

Your kit looks excellent. Where did you get your robes? Also, glad to see we were issued the same Jedi boots ;-)

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2019, 10:09:15 PM »

I know this is all part of the learning process. Failure is our greatest teacher.
SO true  Cheesy

Your kit looks excellent. Where did you get your robes? Also, glad to see we were issued the same Jedi boots ;-)
Thank you!  I got it off of Etsy, from KhloesCustomClothing. 

Heh, yeah the boots are very good; I just put some Dr. Shoals in them to make them more comfortable  Wink

Lady Revan
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1055

I leave my alignment to Fate-whether Light or Dark

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2019, 07:33:57 AM »

Can't wait to see! Rebel Legion should approve Velcro so long as it's not visible. Lots of people put strategic Velcro to close their Obi and to keep the tabards in place at the shoulders. I would try to make sure the thread is the same color as the fabric so it's less likely to show. Sew in Velcro will be better than stick on in terms of long-term staying.

Truth be told, my generic Jedi is my most difficult costume to dress. I can get in and out of both Revans and Bastila completely on my own so long as I have a mirror. My Jedi, on the other hand, is going to need many many alterations before I can come close to dressing myself lol.

My Sabers: I'mma make a link eventually. list doesn't fit in sig any more Sad

Author of: Only Light Can Cast Shadow A pre-KotOR Fem!Revan Fic

Twisted Morality (Part III of "Only Light Can Cast Shadow")

I leave my alignment to fate--Light or Dark

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »

Ok folks...FIRST LOOK:
I tried to dress myself fairly quick today. I didn't bother with the pouches on the belt or my boots...So don't judge my socks  Tongue Give me your honest appraisal please.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2019, 04:02:31 PM »

Don't panic, but it's very monotone.  At least on top.  The obi, the top and under layer being all the same has to rely on the edges to sell the layers and lines.

I'd seen a recent picture of old Luke in a similar colored outfit, but technically, each piece had it's own tone, making the layers stand out.

Maybe you can swap a piece out, OR since they are all off-white, some of the pieces may be very easy to dye.  I'd probably stick with a light color.  a faded aged  yellow or light tan.  Doing the Tabbard, since it is between the undercoat and obi would probably do the trick.

See what other people think, it may just be me.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2019, 05:06:57 PM »

Don't panic, but it's very monotone.  At least on top.  The obi, the top and under layer being all the same has to rely on the edges to sell the layers and lines.

I'd seen a recent picture of old Luke in a similar colored outfit, but technically, each piece had it's own tone, making the layers stand out.

Maybe you can swap a piece out, OR since they are all off-white, some of the pieces may be very easy to dye.  I'd probably stick with a light color.  a faded aged  yellow or light tan.  Doing the Tabbard, since it is between the undercoat and obi would probably do the trick.

See what other people think, it may just be me.

I know about the monotone color. I was supposed to get a dark brown undertunic and a thin belt to go under the leather belt. So...I am going to have to make some quick adjustments. I will purchase a new undertunic  piece in dark brown....that will help.

I don't think this would dye well, because of the fabric type...I'd have to get an opinion from an "expert"...I'm not that.

Thanks for the suggestions.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2019, 01:22:54 AM »

Definitely looks good, but I agree about the monotone upper half.
Of course, I really have no room to talk as my whole 'jedi' part of the Therion Jinn ensemble is black

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2019, 12:53:30 PM »

Definitely looks good, but I agree about the monotone upper half.
Of course, I really have no room to talk as my whole 'jedi' part of the Therion Jinn ensemble is black

But your "blacks" are different shades...So, that works.

I was supposed to receive an undertunic and over obi belt in dark brown...so...yeah...I'll have to fix that on my own. I'm thinking about just getting a dark brown long-sleeve V neck for now and making some modifications later. Dark brown undertunic and maybe Obi as well.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

TheDutchman
Knight Commander

« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2019, 03:59:43 PM »

Ok folks...FIRST LOOK:
I tried to dress myself fairly quick today. I didn't bother with the pouches on the belt or my boots...So don't judge my socks  Tongue Give me your honest appraisal please.

Yes, very well put together.  I like it!

As for the "monotone" tunics, what I did is embroider my left tabard w/ the name of the Gray Order my character belongs too (in Aurebesh) along with the Gray Jedi sigil.  Here's a partial pic of the tabard:

Plus, my undertunic is a darker gray (but a different hue than my trousers).

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2019, 12:41:42 PM »

New undertunic color makes a big difference!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2019, 07:12:38 PM »

New undertunic color makes a big difference!

Oh, indeed, it does!  I thought the last one was perfectly fine, but this one is FINE!!!!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: