Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Why is there no high-speed rail in America?  (Read 5014 times)
tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 07:23:02 PM »

Don't get it twisted though, there is a ton of vehicle traffic in London. We got off a bus and walked at one point because it was faster, and we were more then just a couple blocks away.

Also in China the government just takes what it wants (land, resources, etc...) when it wants to build something. Not always the case in America.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 11:10:35 PM »

Don't get it twisted though, there is a ton of vehicle traffic in London. We got off a bus and walked at one point because it was faster, and we were more then just a couple blocks away.
Yeah, that does happen sometimes. especially when you go through central London. I think they've proven that cycling, walking or motorbike/moped can sometimes be the quickest way to get around London depending on the time of day. But there are apps that can tell you estimated journey using public transport time no matter the time of day, so you can take traffic into account when you are going somewhere. Pretty handy.

Greywolf
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: 100

Grey all the way ;)

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 06:53:49 AM »

Worse, the times I have lived where there was public transportation available and I tried to use it, the cost was actually MORE than driving my car cost me, plus the commute time was a lot higher.

Alas it's similar here in Germany:
While the rail system & public transport is (still) quite good, due to the large influence of the German car industry it's been neglected for several decades in favour for building a better road network.
The talk nowadays is 'we've got too much traffic on the road, we have to get it on the rail' but as upkeep of the (shabby) rail system skyrocketed over the years, train rides ain't 'cheap & affordable' anymore Sad

I started to commute by train about two years ago. It's kind of 'OK' as I've subscribed to a 'commuter's ticket'; that way the cost is down to about the same as for the car ride, but with the luxurity of having time to read instead of watching traffic jams close up Grin

Cake is a lie. There are only Cookies.
Through Cookies I gain Chocolate.
Through Chocolate I gain Energy.
Through Energy I gain Weight.
Through Weight my pants will burst.
The Force shall free me.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2019, 12:12:58 PM »

Also in China the government just takes what it wants (land, resources, etc...) when it wants to build something. Not always the case in America.

I've been to both countries, London has a lot of traffic due to lots of tourism as well but it still has lots of public transportation which more ideal than the US.  Just about all US cities have lots of traffic without much public transportation which isn't ideal and the point of this.  It's like the UK version of LA so it will be crowded regardless.

China is just overcrowded as a majority of the country is uninhabitable.  There's a reason why the government regulates its citizens having children

Darth Knox
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: -1913

(Dark points only) Do not hesitate. Show no mercy

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 01:13:59 PM »

I've been to both countries, London has a lot of traffic due to lots of tourism as well but it still has lots of public transportation which more ideal than the US.  Just about all US cities have lots of traffic without much public transportation which isn't ideal and the point of this.  It's like the UK version of LA so it will be crowded regardless.
I think it's important to remember that HSR is not meant to replace cars, just offer an alternative to cars. As Karmack highlighted, if you live in the suburbs with kids then a car is kind of necessary. But it's important to remember that not everyone lives in the suburbs. or has kids. There are lots of variables as every individuals circumstances will be different. But even taking those into account, the answer isn't always immediately going to be car.

Infinit01
Defender of the Forumverse
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander
OVER 9000!!

Force Alignment: 2785

Grey Assassin

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 03:55:33 PM »

I think it's important to remember that HSR is not meant to replace cars, just offer an alternative to cars. As Karmack highlighted, if you live in the suburbs with kids then a car is kind of necessary. But it's important to remember that not everyone lives in the suburbs. or has kids. There are lots of variables as every individuals circumstances will be different. But even taking those into account, the answer isn't always immediately going to be car.

That's my point

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: