Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: LEDs don't light up  (Read 5098 times)
BionicDance
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« on: June 14, 2019, 01:10:42 AM »

I've had this thing less than 12 hours and it's already broken!

It started behaving strangely after I'd disconnected it from my computer; the LEDs were flashing, and in all kinds of weird colors I'd never programmed.
Then it stopped working entirely.
I replaced the batteries with fresh ones and now the sound works, but the saber doesn't light!

What's going on, here?

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 06:22:45 PM »

Diamond?

If so, I'll move this thread to the Diamond board.   More likely to get an answer there. 

I doubt it's broken, but really have no clue about those.

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 01:24:28 AM »

Yes.

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 06:30:29 PM »

Done.

There's an actual RSX Engineering guy on here, and our own Racona Nova is pretty well versed in such things. 

They'll see it here for sure. Smiley

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 01:32:27 AM »

Thanks. It's still very worrying, though.

I thought these things were supposed to be a lot more rugged.

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 06:41:15 PM »

It's most likely some computer related thing, to be honest.

Typically yes, you should be quite able to hurl one down some concrete steps (don't do that), and it'd work just fine. 

I've heard of a person dropping his ignited saber into a swimming pool before (I don't recommend that either).  He drove right in after it.  It was fine once it dried out.

Honestly, it's most likely something simple like needing to write everything to the board, or something.  I'm just not the one to say for sure.

Crappy, but it'll get sorted.

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 01:47:05 AM »

It's most likely some computer related thing, to be honest.

But it doesn't work properly whether it's connected to the computer or not.

Honestly, it's most likely something simple like needing to write everything to the board, or something.

I'm not really sure what that means.

That is to say, I know what it means to write things to the board, but I thought I'd already done it.
And even if I hadn't, I'd expect the built-in fonts to still work.

So unless "write everything to the board" means something other than writing fonts to the board...well, I don't know/understand what's being gotten at, here.

Crappy, but it'll get sorted.

Yeah, well, it's still a hell of a let-down. Three weeks waiting and then it breaks on the first day!

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 01:54:14 AM »

Also, the speaker on the saber is now making some crazy noises whenever it's hooked up to the computer and data is being transferred back and forth. Sounds like an old modem from the 80s.

It wasn't doing that before.

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 01:59:26 AM »

Did you buy an extra set of batteries with the saber? I say that because you said you had it for 12 hours and put new batteries in it. The Diamond only uses rechargeable batteries.

It seriously sounds like the batteries to me. I wound make sure the original batteries are 100% charged and then try it.

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 02:17:20 AM »

Yes, please say you didn't put normal AAs in there...lol  The voltage is different.

That would certainly mess things up.

Having it hooked up to the computer does drain the batteries quickly...

I really don't know a lot about the Diamond controller, but this does sound familiar.

Please just wait for RSX or Rac.  It might be a quick-fix.

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 02:28:08 AM »

It does seem to be something to do with the batteries; I stuck the ones it came with in the charger and, after a while, I put them back in the saber and it seemed to work fine.

Is it possible that the LEDs can stop working while the speaker keeps going if the batteries are low? Maybe they got drained either in transit or, as you say, while plugged into the computer.
They didn't come with those little paper tabs that most battery-powered things come with, the sort that keep the battery from touching, that keep power from flowing...could that be it?

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 02:29:43 AM »

And if only using rechargables is a thing, it seems like the sort of information that would come in great big letters with a box around them and a red WARNING! in the manual...

Rapine
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 02:51:57 AM »

Indeed.  I believe the absence of the tabs is to allow the board the have a bit of power, since it does come preset.

Yeah, if the batteries do drop below a certain voltage, things will stop working.  It'd be akin to using AAs actually; there simply wouldn't be enough power to run things.  I don't believe it would damage anything, but you're not wrong.  A simple pamphlet with a few "tips" would do it. Smiley

So, if you had it hooked up to the computer for a bit, and depending on how long it spent in transit (though, if you're stateside, it really shouldn't be too bad.  They ship them to the other side of the planet, and they still work out of the box), the batteries could indeed be dead.

I say pop them in the charger over night, then you'll hopefully have a reply from at least Rac (I'll give him a heads-up) by morning.

I am sorry that you are having an issue.  Undecided

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2019, 02:58:20 AM »

It was kinna scary; these things are crazy expensive and it really did take forever to get to me. The idea that it was DOA was...well...

But, as I say, I put the batteries back in after a bit of a recharge and all seemed normal. That had to be it. Took 'em back out and put 'em on the charger again.
Oddly, I'm looking now, and one of the batteries is already charged. Maybe only the other was breathing its last.

It's funny, but I had no idea that rechargeable batteries were any different than the other sort...except that they recharged. That they put out different amounts of power has honestly never come up in my life before. Weird, right?
How much use do you think is normally expected with a fresh charge? Like, if I kept the saber on constantly, about how long would it take before everything went kaputsky?

KaiserSosay
Duke of the Diamond Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -839

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2019, 03:01:29 AM »

UltraSabers can use two different types of batteries.  AAA batteries and 14500 batteries. No where does it say AA. Double A batteries will fit but will not provide the 7.4 volts required to run the leds.
  Yes, if your 14500 batteries are low, you will get sound out of your saber and no lights. This can happen with both emerald and diamond sabers. If the saber is losing power the lights will rapidly flicker. As less power is available the will dim out completely.  The very last thing to go is the sound. I have a nice charger with battery levels displayed.  One battery  will always be 10% lower then the other when I charge them. I assume that lower battery has been supplying the led.

It is written somewhere to fully charge your batteries before hooking up to a computer. Do this always!!!
The very last thing you ever want is for your saber to die while hooked up to the computer.  If that happens you will probably need to do a factory reset and start all over again.  It sucks! Especially if you were in the middle of making a new font. Everything lost.
  Charge your batteries!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: