Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: LEDs don't light up  (Read 5099 times)
tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2019, 04:45:35 AM »

No worries, this seems to happen a lot with new saber owners. Because often it just doesn't die but dies slowly people get scared. But most often it is just the batteries. They will drain off you leave them in when not in use. No US has a kill key or switch to stop this from happening. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get an extra set.

BionicDance
Knight Officer

Force Alignment: 17

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2019, 04:47:30 AM »

Extra set. Yes, I was considering that.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 12:13:52 PM »

Sorry for being a bit late Tongue

So, I just read through everything and have to admit - all of you were/are right Grin

It was a battery issue, and like you said, normal AA size batteries are different to Li-Ion batteries in almost every aspect. Voltage is different, chemical compunds (obviously) and the fact that they are more dangerous than normal rechargeables (risk of explosion if not handled properly) Wink If an electronical device comes with a certain type of power source, please stick to that type and don't try to change it. Especially when it comes to batteries and Ultrasabers. Using the wrong type can cause various issues - from light (such as sound, but no light) to medium (speaker sounds) to serious (board damage).

So - if you get a saber with Li-Ion batteries, only replace them with the same type of Li-Ions! You can be sure that you get the right ones when you buy from Ultrasabers themselves, other sources can be a trap. And you need a specific charger designed for Li-Ion batteries if you don't already own one.

I agree that they should start to put a note inside (or even state that during the configuration) that a saber with the Li-Ion setup will not run with standard AA rechargeables and mustn't be equipped with those once the Li-Ions are drained. Just to avoid these issues. Maybe something to post in the Suggestion thread...

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Rapine
Honoured Recipient of the Warlord Order
SaberForum.Com Moderator
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -3020

Always scanning the horizon...

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2019, 12:19:54 AM »

Weird, right?
Not weird. We all didn't know at some point. Smiley

How much use do you think is normally expected with a fresh charge? Like, if I kept the saber on constantly, about how long would it take before everything went kaputsky?
That would totally depend on so many variables, and would be different for each and every saber.  

In order to truly tell, you'd need an amp meter, and to know the actual draw of your particular saber over time - including any actions (FoC, stab, etc...) you might do.  Then there's a mAh rating on your batteries.  So basically mA x hrs = duration.

Or about an hour of idle (?)...lol

"The thing that always drives me hazy, is wondering whether it's them or me who's crazy." ~ A. Einstein

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2019, 12:24:57 AM »

That would totally depend on so many variables, and would be different for each and every saber.

Diamond controller and no other frills. Not even accent lights.

In order to truly tell, you'd need an amp meter, and to know the actual draw of your particular saber over time

Heh. I'm a geek, not a nerd. Wink

Or about an hour of idle...lol

Yeah, I need more batteries, then.

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 05:21:15 PM »

Yeah, I need more batteries, then.
This is to everyone here who doesn't already know this, not just BionicDance.

I cannot stress enough the need to get your Li-ion batteries from a trusted source; right now, I'd recommend you get them from US directly.  There are many (way too many) shysters out there claiming to sell brand-new, brand-name protected cells who have simply grabbed old batteries and re-wrapped them with someone else's branding, or who sell cheap, low-quality unprotected no-name cells as brand-name protected cells.  US has a reliable supplier for a reliable brand of the batteries, so they are always a safe bet.  Please, please, PLEASE don't fall into the trap of buying Li-ion batteries from someone you've never heard of just to save a couple dollars/euros/whatever, because low-quality or unprotected cells can catch fire or explode.  It's not worth the savings.

Also, the type of charger matters greatly. Again, unless you already have a trusted supplier of Li-ion battery chargers, I recommend getting the charger from UltraSabers.  This is another case where being cheap can easily translate directly to being unsafe.

And no, the Energizer charger you already have for your NiMH AA cells is not going to work on your Li-ion cells... and neither is your Eneloop charger.

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

BionicDance
Knight Officer

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 01:55:16 AM »

I don't recall ordering a charger, but one came with the saber I bought; I can only assume, since I got it directly from US, it's the right one to use. Smiley

Sez "XTAR Intelligent Li-ion Battery Charger" on the side of it.

Racona Nova
Knight of the Obsidian Order
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 1116

There is no good or evil....there's only power!

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 10:46:02 AM »

That's the right one. You have to take the batteries out of your saber for charging, though.

Sig by Master Nero
Phantasm v3 LE (Obs v3) - AB w/ FoC AS---Manticore (Obs v3) - BR w/ FoC AS (QD)---Archon v2.1 (Obs v3) - RGBW Emerald

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 01:50:24 PM »

That's the right one. You have to take the batteries out of your saber for charging, though.
Yup, that's the one, alright. 

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: