Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Tips on how to record a video (ex: review)  (Read 996 times)
janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« on: June 14, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »

Today I saw an experienced YouTuber review an UltraSaber.

Before that, everybody's done nice videos.  But I see an opportunity to learn from example.

Here's Bionic Dance's review (i don't know how to embed a video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=UQssAVOrneg

She's comfortable in front of the camera and has fancy intro/outro.  Set that aside for the moment, because many of us don't have that.  What can we learn from this video in doing our own, at our skill level/equipment?

Before I get into what I take away from the video, please share any tips you've learned or observations from other videos (without naming and shaming people's mistakes)?

Hopefully we'll get a pinnable thread that is useful for making everybody comfortable shooting reviews and having their best presentation based on things we learn here.

janx
Knight Lt. Commander

Force Alignment: -21

Vote for Neutrality!

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 01:23:32 PM »

I don't like to add my 2 cents directly in a topic I start for discussion.  SO here's my 2 cents as a Reply like everybody else:

BD has a succinct intro, "Hi, I'm XYZ and i'm reviewing the ABC Saber"

Not too long, just enough info. Also easier to rehearse, hit record, do the line, stop and cut.

She also uses cuts, so there's no um's and uh's or fumbling to setup the next shot (ex. hang on while I step back to swing this saber for you).

A single shot recording is probably harder to do without mistake and filled with dead space.  That kills attention holding power.  Cutting dead space makes a more succinct, on-topic presentation.  Since you're cutting, you can also do multiple takes to smoothly say and present what you want.

For subject matter, I liked how she talked about a specific thing she wanted to do and then she showed it to us (the power-on/off sequence).  This personalized the topic, rather than just her slowly panning the saber many of us have seen in other videos.

Now for detractions:
there was a window behind the presenter (blinds closed).  Light sources like that make the camera wonky (I know that from photography).  BD was still clear and visible, but controlling what's behind the subject helps a lot with color and visibility.

I do not know the best practices for filming lit sabers.  Some people do lights out.  Hopefully somebody posts a tip here.  There's got to be a way to get the best light level/lit saber footage possible.

Those points didn't hurt BD's video in my estimation, probably because she's filmed in that environment enough to make it work.

Anybody else have some tips or lessons learned?

tx_tuff
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1075

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 10:34:33 PM »

Don't film the video in vertical (with a phone).

Use a tripod, even if filming with a phone. A cheap tripod will do wonders for you video. Holding the phone with one hand will recording a video of a no go for me.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 03:58:20 PM »

Agreed about tripod use. Lighting also plays a part. Plus good audio. If needed, use a microphone (wired, wireless or blutooth). Audio reviews, in my opinion, be direct, to the point and don't go off on tangents.

That's my 5 cents worth.

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Cyclops942
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 534

Fandom mash-ups are fun.

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 05:06:07 PM »

+1 for the following suggestions:
  • Using a tripod - shaky videos are hard to watch, and the Blair Witch Project effect is inappropriate for product reviews
  • Using a microphone - if your voice is muffled or faint, it's harder to pay attention to the actual review
  • Recording in landscape mode - most desktops and laptops are set up for this, and people expect it
  • Using cuts (stop/start) to transition - "dead air" is a HUGE no-no for broadcasting, plus you don't want to waste your audience's time

I'd also like to add the following:

Work from a script
  • Write down ahead of time what you plan to say, even if it's just a list of features you want to be sure to cover-- exact wording is unimportant

Include a written review with the video, at least here on the forums, summarizing the high points
  • If you have a script or notes, this is a good way to reuse this material

Review the video before you post it
  • Ask yourself if your review has hit all (or at least most of) the points you want to cover, both the exciting ones and the not-so-great ones
  • If you don't like it, consider editing, re-recording, or adding to it, but...
  • ### This is NOT the time to listen to the nagging self-doubts about appearance or style; we love you just like you are
  • ### Remember that "perfection" is the enemy of "good enough", and that for these purposes, "good enough" really is good enough
  • ### Remember also that you are allowed to make more than one review per saber, so if you learn more later, you can do another video-- we'll watch it Smiley

Most of all... HAVE FUN!

LEGEND: 🔇= Stunt, 🔊= V4 Premium Sound, ⚡= Flash on Clash, 💎= Diamond Controller

__Aeon LE v3 🔇 in CG  __Initiate v2 🔇 in FO  __Initiate v2 🔇 in AB  __Dark Apprentice LE v5 🔇 in AS  Dark Catalyst in BH 🔊 ⚡AS  __Crimson Scorpion 🔊 BR⚡GB  __Azure Fallen 💎 in DVA fading to VA , ⚡ AS  __Frankensaber 💎 in SY fading to CG with ⚡ GB  — Currently traveling with co-owner

Light Side points preferred, when warranted

chalion
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 279

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 05:28:57 PM »

You can also add audio after recording the video so you can explain the what's and whys, concisely. Or even put text into the video to highlight things you want to point out to the viewers.

There are many ways to make a video review. It's your choice how to go about it, but you can find examples and tips from you tube, facebook, video narration sites, etc..

26 diamond lightsaber and counting

Musashi Padawan
Knight Templar

Force Alignment: 174

Warrior Poet

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 10:55:16 AM »

Cool topic Janx! I like to think we do a decent job with our saber reviews on the AFA channel. I agree with all the tips already made.  Especially jotting down an outline of some of the key points to cover.  I also think a very little bit of basic editing goes a whole long way to improve the quality.  Not much else to add on presentation.
As far as content- Personally, I do not care much for reviews that cover the specs/dimensions/measurements in detail- that info is available on the ultrasabers sale page.  I like to hear about (and see) how the saber performs in various situations, the balance, how it feels, choke points, etc. Plus I love to hear anything that stands out about the saber compared to other models, versions or brands.   

On YouTube
“Perceive that which cannot be seen with the eye." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: